Too Much loot, Q's, first impressions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by unseen4ce, Sep 20, 2011.

1. unseen4ce

unseen4ce Member

Firstly, I have way too much loot, tried crafting some. Lutefisked the rest. Did not receive anything for first 96 lutefisk so I am holding onto another 100 until I get something from the first batch. Now I am surrounded by tons of loot that I can't do anything with but I want to keep playing. What loot is worthless to a warrior type vampire?

Is it possible for a lever to do nothing?, can't always work-out what a lever does, if anything.

Have you guys found yourselves in a situation where a one-block-wide, east-west, corridor was blocked by a trap that you could not disarm as the corridor floor is unable to be clicked on or seen due to the narrowness of the corridor. This means a passage is effectively blocked on the first level. What to do....

Dear god are roguelikes addictive, they are the perfect game, can't believe such a game (rogue with good graphics) hasn't been done before. I never enjoyed Diablo, and had never heard of rogue-likes until I played this game. It is so much fun, reminds me of Etrian Odyssey.

2. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

DoD would be considered a "coffee-break" Roguelike; if you're wanting something more in-depth there are plenty of people here who can make recommendations, depending on your tastes. For a more complex graphical game, try Elona.

Regarding the lutefisk shrine, you won't see any results until you've dropped 500 of the little snot-blocks. This sounds like a LOT, but they recently changed the cube so that dropping in stacks of items (like cheap bolts) gives you fisk on a 1:1 basis. Takes a little time, but it's doable.

As for the trap blocking a passage, you can click on floor pieces that are hidden by the front wall. And sometimes, you just have to take a chance and risk triggering a trap.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to Dredmor! Glad you enjoy it.
    For loot well it always depends on your character. If you're lutefisking you can pick up literally everything though that's tedious. For your character, well vampire's leech is affected by magic power, so armor that doesn't penalize it too much is a priority. There's some unique pieces that even boost it, so good luck.

Some levers seem to do nothing, I'm not entirely convinced it is the case but hey. They can either; open a uberchest, spawn traps or open a tiny hidden passage with an item.

That sucks, walk into it if it won't kill ya heh.

LonePaladin is half-right with the amount, the calculations should be (lutefisk number)/5 = % of getting anything. So with 100 you had 20% roughly.

Roguelikes are awesome, and there's a bunch of good quality ones with graphics. Like LP said, Elona is more complex and kind of insane, but oh so hilarious. Personally I suggest Crawl (it's the most popular roguelike out there currently) just check out this page for a full listing and releases as they come out: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/

4. Derakon

Derakon Member

Note that your sneakiness gives you a chance of not triggering traps when you walk over them. Very sneaky characters can almost walk over traps with impunity.

5. unseen4ce

unseen4ce Member

Thanks for the help. I do like complex games, just not micro-management in the guise of complexity. Elona looks cool, except that it said many parts are not randomly generated, which would effect replayability greatly ...I think the random generated levels are part of what makes rogue-likes so addictive. I am downloading it now and will give it a go, I am hoping the dungeons are randomly generated atleast. I hope it is a long game, a deep game with a slow, slow (possibly turn-based) pace.

Crawl looked cool, more focused on hacking and slashing though. The levels seemed blocky and uninteresting, although the characters looked cool. Was not as interested in this one though. Thanks for the help and recommendations anyways.

I have actually searched that site previously for other rogue-likes, what do you guys think of Dungeon Monkey Unlimited or Lambdarogue. do you guys know any good ones more like elona (complex/slow) rather than hacking/slashing type rogues...

6. Daynab

Elona is really worth playing if you can get past the horrible interface. The overworld and towns (and a couple storyline dungeons) aren't random but items, events, monsters, some npcs etc still are. It's a really long game, though. Think of it as a persistent world roguelike (optional permadeath) you could play six months on the same game and it wouldn't be over.

I've never heard of Dungeon Monkey Unlimited before so I can't say, and I tried Lambdarogue a while back, couldn't get into it.

About Crawl though, definitely give it a try. For sure it's a combat oriented game like DoD but it's the most popular for a reason. Tons of races, skills, gods, it's a VERY solid game. As for the dungeon looks, there are tons of branches with themes, such as a hive, swamp, crypt, even an underground beach. Plus portals to small vaults with many many themes too. Everything's randomly generated so huge replayability.

7. unseen4ce

unseen4ce Member

I didn't see Crawl, it must have been a mislabelled youtube video. After seeing the real thing, I think it looks very cool now, can you perhaps confirm that this is the right one (if you get a chance).
    It says "Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup", this is it, right?... http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/.

I am downloading Crawl now, it is actually very colourful compared to nethack and others I have seen. I have just discovered rogue-likes.

RPG's have always been my favourite genre, but now I would say rogue-like rpg is the best by far.

8. Daynab

Yup that's the one.

9. Andrew Doull

Andrew Doull Member

Haldurson likes this.
  10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Thanks! Very cool. I'm going to have to go back and listen to all the old episodes. I started out with Rogue back in the late 1970s.

I actually was in the same student house in college with Walther Bright, the creator of Empire, in case anyone remembers that game. Empire was a relatively simple turn-based strategy game with random map generation. It wasn't a rogue-like, per se, but had ascii graphics in the tradition of rogue-likes. Games like Civilization owe a whole lot to games like Empire.

11. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

Empire was my go-to game back when I briefly owned an Amiga. I loved that game. Now if only someone would remake Mail Order Monsters, the nostalgia trip to my youth would be complete!

12. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Andrew Doull : Oh hey, it's you! I've been following your ASCII Dreams blog for a number of years and I've been catching the Roguelike Radio too lately (can't wait 'til next week's coverage of Dredmor). I had the thought to send you a beta for Dredmor a few months back just for the heck of it but could never find your contact email. Anyway, I love your work and it's great fun to see you writing/talking about Dredmor.

And to the original poster, very happy to hear you enjoy the game - loot balance is a bit of an issue when there's the flavour and fun of looting we're trying to push vs. information and inventory overload for too much loot. We're ... working on things ... *mumbles and trails off, looking at the next patch todo list*...

Exile likes this.
  13. Andrew Doull

Andrew Doull Member

Yep, it's me.

We're recording in about 10 hours and Darren is pretty good at getting the podcast up pretty quickly after that. John Harris (of @Play) should hopefully be on the show as well...

14. Grey

Grey Member

Indeed - I'm looking forward to talking about it. I'll post a link on these forums when it's up.

To the original poster, lutefisk everything that isn't a gem or a piece of equipment above 3 stars (sell those instead). If you have Archaeology then use the Museum ability to change artifacts into xp. Obviously keep some items to equip as well - as a fighter you'll want to just max damage absorption and damage output without caring about magic penalties. Items that add extra damage types to your attacks are especially desirable. Offer up lutefisk in whatever amounts you like. I've had rewards for 50 lutefisk total before. There's no advantage to stockpiling large bundles.

Oh, and as a warrior you might want to keep around some booze and make use of pan-galactic gargle blasters to get a bonus effect which increases some stats but slowly drains your mana. It just takes one gargle-blaster and a lot of booze-sipping to upkeep. You should probably keep any missiles and bolts you find too, and weaken enemies up with them before they can hurt you.

If you're interested in trying other roguelikes then I can't recommend enough ToME4. It has pretty graphics and effects, a nice variety in races and classes, and a surprisingly in-depth combat system.

15. Derakon

Derakon Member

When the Lutefisk God gives you a reward, he puts an extra bonus on it for each 100 lutefisk you gave him, up to a cap of 500. I've still never gotten anything worthwhile from him so I've stopped bothering with lutefisk.

16. Grey

Grey Member

Hmm, didn't know that! I mostly use his stuff for xp from Archaeology, or get it retranslated if I think the item's useful.

17. Andrew Doull

Andrew Doull Member

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Angband and ADOM are fun.
    Crawl is not. To say I hate it is not strong enough.
    Anyhow, glad to see another person play this game.
    Andrew Doull, creator of Unangband. Wow. Too bad I don't like Unangband anymore. Used to be my favorite.

Anyhow, the game is not a coffee break, unless your coffee break is 6 hours long. :)

19. Andrew Doull

Andrew Doull Member

Thanks. I think.

20. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I wasn't trying to make you angry or anything
    I've played it since version 0.2.1 or so though.

I can come across as arrogant, but I assure you, I'm not a jerk or anything.
    I just didn't like the big changes you made, such as adding the resistances to slashing/piercing/blunt damage on monsters. That doesn't really belong in any game but D&Dband. :)
    Don't get mad at me. I'm just saying, that doesn't really belong in Unangband.
    Also, giants/trolls seem to have some sort of super dodge. Sometimes, even with a +75 to hit, forest trolls will give me a "You fail to hit the forest troll." same with hill giants. Doesn't even count as a miss, because it doesn't take hit chance into count. :(
    That's with someone who's 9 foot 6 with a 6 foot spear. :)