To The Creators of CE - Dbaum Nicholas etc etc

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by jim darnaby, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jim darnaby

jim darnaby Member

I see you fellas are Canadians.

So are you guys hockey fans? Season starts in a few weeks, just curious if you guys are nhl fans, who you pull for (if I recall correctly yall are in the Vancouver area- I read this a while back just now posting and too lazy to go fact check any of what I remember) how you feel about Canadian teams having less than par ownership (the further south you go in the league the better the ownership apparently or somehow southern teams are winning the cup) and if you are not hockey fans then are you guys REALLY Canadians? (I wont spell it Canadiens - I just don't know how, plus I hate the habs)

Just curious to see if you guys were nhl fans, played it yada yada. I am from Tulsa OK and we have one ice rink, high school hockey that is not actually affiliated with the high schools that have teams (not a school sport) in fact the team I played for in high school had like 2 kids from that school but was a mash up of a bunch of other schools. Its such a great sport and needs to be more available to smaller communities in the southern part of the USA. Hell lets let it trickle into Mexico!

I am convinced that one day the NHL will surpass the NBA in popularity. Probably not the NFL, the NFL is just too good of a TV sport and people who don't play hockey have a hard time keeping up with the puck on TV though it really isn't that hard to do.

I just want to say, that I hope at least one of you is a Jets or Oilers fan, those are the only two teams in Canada I ever pull for really. Though there is nothing more incredible visually in the NHL than the red sea in Calgary during the playoffs. Going to a playoff game there is a bucket list thing I guess.

2. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Oh, uh. Sorry to disappoint but I'm actually American, from California, though have lived in Canada for ... oh, 14 years now? I am still of the opinion that "snow" is some kind of Canadian ruse.

I've indeed heard of this "canada circle game" but don't have strong opinions on it. I have, however, watched at least one full match where many nets were accomplished and studied the names of all of the Canada-circle squads so I can pass the Citizenship test!

3. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

There are several teams in California.

4. Unforked

Unforked Member

Indeed, the one closest to me is named after an ocean-dwelling animal with sharp teeth.

5. dbaumgart

I'm pretty sure we only do surfing in California.

Oh hey, you from the Bay Area?

6. Unforked

Unforked Member

Yep, living in North Bay currently. Used to live in Vegas, but I'm much, much happier here. No offense to Vegas.

7. dbaumgart

Oh, very cool - lovely area. Born & raised in the south bay, myself.

(And the water tastes so much better than Vegas. And it's even better in Vancouver, but then we all know that Canadians are hoarding their precious, delicious water so that they become the masters of the forthcoming apocalyptic wasteland.)

(Followup: But then who drinks water in Vegas?)

Unforked likes this.
  8. jim darnaby

jim darnaby Member

I think Vegas asks you not to drink the water, since its like, running out. Shower buddies, don't drink our water and if its yellow let it mello, Vegas mottos.

Sharks made it to the Cup finals last year, but I am sure very few people pay attention to them in the area, California has some of the best owners as all those teams have done very well the last 10-12 years. Def the most successful state with multiple teams.

It doesn't disappoint dbaum, you are just a normal American in the fact that hockey is not on your radar. However, if you moved to Canada, took interest in curling and not hockey, then I would be disappointed.

9. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I am disappointed in him.

10. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I know enough about hockey to be vaguely fluent in it, but since my family was cursed by a snaggle-toothed crone in 1986 to be forced to root for the Edmonton Oilers I am used to disappointment.

11. jim darnaby

jim darnaby Member

If you were older you would remember the Oilers hayday with Gretzky. The Oilers are not far from being good again though, though that has been said for several years, they have like 6 top 3 draft picks on their roster right now and a couple of them are just outright super stars, but for some reason cant get into the playoffs the past several years.

Disappointment should not last much longer for your family!

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

We thought the curse would be lifted in years past, but then they traded all their good talent to the New York Rangers (who then won the cup.) It'll never happen.