Thoughts on Workshop/Mods

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SHiLLySiT, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SHiLLySiT

SHiLLySiT Member

I've been toying with mods, specifically crafting recipes. Would there be any possibility of having more than one output item? Or possibly, randomly choosing one from a list? I'm currently working on a meltdown mod that breaks items into their original components. Obviously it is rather limited since I can only output one item.

Also, is there a way to give the player an item in debug mode? I've couldn't find a command/hotkey, so I simply made a debug class that has the item(s) set as loadout items.

[EDIT] It also seems that every time a mod is updated, the description is overwritten in the workshop with what is in the mod.xml.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

For recipes, I don't think there's a way to have multiple output items. Or random ones. All I know about is a different output depending on your crafting skill.

For debug mode, there is a "fill inventory" button but it doesn't select specific items, however you could do it by putting the item in the starting room. Or in a specific room and then test it using the guide here: http://dredmod.com/wiki/Rooms_Tutorials

3. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

You can make multiple recipes, each using the same input but giving a different output. The current craft interface has decent sorting functions that will keep it from being too much of a chore to hunt through the list unless you really go crazy with it. Shouldn't be any real downsides as long as they aren't hidden recipes (which could prove problematic for a variety of reasons).

Having had to make an emergency update myself today, I agree with you that it's darned annoying to lose your text without warning.

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You can make the recipe give you an item that would, upon use, give you the set you want to get. It would be slightly counter-intuitive, but not too much, and it would work.

5. SHiLLySiT

SHiLLySiT Member

Darn! Yeah I had been using the fill inventory button until I decided to use a custom "debug" skill that started with the needed items.

I was thinking doing that before, but I just wanted to make sure there was no other alternative.

That's an interesting idea...hm.

6. hesuchia

hesuchia Member

It's reasons like this that I really hope for a crafting overhaul in the very near future.
    • The crafting screen is, in my opinion, terribly cluttered--especially for people who like to install a lot of mods.
    • It doesn't give any details on craftables, leaving you guessing what may be good to make (and thus lug around the ingredients for).
    • If you leave the "have ingredients" button on and come back to the screen later, it still shows only the items that were there when you first click it--it doesn't auto update when you get new items and it doesn't remove recipes when you use up one/more of the ingredients.
    • Multiple recipes for multiple outputs would also take at least as many inputs as outputs (i.e. instead of un-tinkering spectacles into diamond and brass, you'd need 2 spectacles: one for a diamond recipe and one for a brass recipe: and finding multiple items is a luxury)
    • That problem that I mentioned on the Steam workshop page where loading a preexisting game with new recipe mods requires you to find the recipes on precious bookshelves, even if they weren't marked 'hidden'. Not sure if the problem exists in normal zipped mods though.

Of course there're the inventory storage issues that some would consider part of the game's roguelike nature. I mostly wish there were some way to sort recipes better so I know which ingredients are safe to part with. And going back to the original method of crafting (I've only read about it, never got to play with it) could be nice too. It would make crafting classes more viable since you could use recipes you knew previously and it would fit their characters: I mean a tinkering genius should be able to make at least some recipes up on the fly.

Clicking an input item could even show what it's used as a component in. There's so many ways to make it better. I really hope they enlighten us on what these secret changes are soon >.<. It would all make modding new craftables much more viable.

7. SHiLLySiT

SHiLLySiT Member

I agree; the current crafting interface is way too cluttered at the moment. For this reason, I'm hesitant to add multiple meltdown recipes for the same item as it would further increase the number of recipes one needs to scroll through.

[EDIT] If a user downloads a mod that requires an expansion, will things that aren't in the expansion still work? For instance, if I add an item that is in RotDG to a crafting recipe within my mod, will that recipe simply not show or will the mod not work at all?

8. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

If you put <require expansion="1" /> into your mod.xml, it will not load without RotDG.

9. SHiLLySiT

SHiLLySiT Member

So splitting my mod into separate downloads for both players with and without RotDG is the best route?

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I thought the flags weren't functional yet Fax.