There needs to be a Sick Ass Lute item

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Patashu, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Patashu

Patashu Member

[17:52] <Patashu> Also Dredmor needs to drop some sick ass lute
    [17:52] <Patashu> *loot LOL
    [17:53] <Patashu> Please don't make Sick Lute an item

2. Patashu

Patashu Member

btw this stemmed from a discussion about replacing 'Dredmor dead - you win the game' with 'Dredmor dead - he drops his phylacery and you either bring it to the surface for the good ending or to an evil shrine to become a lich and get the bad ending, also while the phylacery is in your inventory it does random stuff like block teleports/debuff you/summon monsters/summon bosses/generally fuck with you to make the trip up more difficult'

3. Incendax

Incendax Member

That would certainly be a shout out to the Amulet of Yendor.

4. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

There should be randomized rewards after killing Dredmor or ascending with a special item, such as a lifetime supply or Lutefisk or a brand new horse carriage.

5. Patashu

Patashu Member

Ooo, that sounds fun. A 'here's your prizes!' screen after you 'ascend'

6. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

More prize ideas:
    - A piece of armor with the inscription: "I defeated Dredmor with Permadeath on Going Rogue and all I got was this stupid T-Shirt!"
    - Red Ryder BB Gun
    - Mortality (the prize in Highlander)
    - A softball autographed by the game's authors. Same as a normal softball otherwise.

7. Omnia0001

Omnia0001 Member

Another fun reward could be a Giant Check (melee weapon of course)
    If you chose the bad ending.. i want to fight my old character with a new one I create (all this does is change dreadmor's name.. at least). And then I thought about it...

Bad Ending-> New Game+ options (ie: build another floor, train monsters, invest in brax (bigger brax stores))
    Good Ending-> Item/Skill/Title based "reward" from the town.

8. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

You should be able to craft a Lute out of Lutefisk.

9. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

Random bandit caves in Morrowind were full of Fat Lutes, but I didn't get the joke until years afterwards.

But yes we definitely need lutes as a mace-class weapon.

And they should be craftable out of Lutefisk.

10. Patashu

Patashu Member

"Random bandit caves in Morrowind were full of Fat Lutes, but I didn't get the joke until years afterwards."

Hahaha, I'm not the first to think of it then :D

11. Bronze

Bronze Member

Seconding rewards for beating dredmor!!!!

12. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Wait, the Amulet of Yendor did bad things when you had it? Gee, here I thought that was the point where the game was all but done.

Anyhow, New Game + ideas in this game don't really work, actually. Roguelikes + New Game+ don't really go together. Like liquid oxygen and fire. :)
    Rewards for beating him, Good idea. Even if they don't do anything.

Oh, and player ghosts. That could work well.

13. Patashu

Patashu Member

'Wait, the Amulet of Yendor did bad things when you had it? Gee, here I thought that was the point where the game was all but done.'
    The suggestion is that the game's not QUITE done when you kill Dredmor - after all, he's a lich. Liches don't die until you dispose of their phylacery too.

14. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Haha. How funny would it be if dredmor litterally dropped a magical lute. "The lute of infirm buttocks" that you then had to run to the surface.

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Yes, that's true, but I thought that you destroyed it when you killed him and won.
    I mean, Angband didn't require you to kill Lich and then destroy their Phylacery.
    Same with ADOM, Nethack, etc.
    It's a bit of a little annoyance to add something inconvenient to a game. Such as carry the Phylacery back to the surface, while it did annoying things to you.

There's a difference between adding additional things to a game, and making it an exercise in tedium.

16. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

@DavidB1111: In NetHack, once you have the true Amulet of Yendor, you have to race all the way up to the first level of the dungeon then up and out while fending off attacks from the Wizard, and then do all sorts of crazy shit involving the five elemental planes and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse once you get there.

The game's only like 3/4ths over when you get the Amulet.

17. Patashu

Patashu Member

'There's a difference between adding additional things to a game, and making it an exercise in tedium.'

The tedium will be eliminated by spawning new super dangerous enemies while you're holding it, or otherwise making your life a pain.

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Tacroy I didn't know that. Thanks.
    @Patashu The game giving you rewards for beating him = good. Nothing more needed.

I don't know how you couldn't realize I was talking about adding a run to the surface when I meant Tedium. Throwing super powerful monsters would make it even more tedious, time consuming, and stupid hard. This is not Contra on Hard.
    This is not Disgaea's Prinny Baal bonus stages. I'm not playing a game that has 9999 max level and billion stats possible.
    I rarely say this, but Hell, No.