The worst set of 7 skills

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Sade, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Sade

Sade Member

What do you guys think is the hardest skill set to get through the game with?

I'm thinking that magic spells are usually powerful enough that skipping them completely seems pretty obvious. Also, having nothing to spend mana on makes Magic Training, Blood Mage and Ley Walker almost completely pointless (they still boost the damage of wands and such).

Dual Wielding is also quite useless as long as you don't have any melee weapon skills. What about the rest? Perception? Archery? Deadshot?

This restriction only applies to the starting skills; after entering the dungeon, skill points are placed optimally.

2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Made a similar thread here: http://www.gaslampgames.com/community/threads/the-worst-build.864/

I ended up picking:

1. Blood Magic
    2. Ley Walker
    3. Magic Training
    4. Perception
    5. Thrown Weapons
    6. Master of Arms
    7. Dead Shot

Left out Dual Wielding because at the time the 'bad weapon' penalty wasn't particularly bad. Not sure if that's still applicable.

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

^^ Archery still sucks worse than Master of Arms, even in that build. :)

4. Derakon

Derakon Member

Ehh, dunno about that. Archery is at least of some utility in helping you kill things, especially since you'll suck at using any and all weapons. Might as well go dual-shields archer.

5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, but you could do that without the Archery skill. Man of Arms at least gives you a hint of survivability should you make it to level 2 and open the zoo; Archery in that slot basically guarantees that that's the end of your career. :)

6. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Archery has bolt recovery which is pretty awesome. It's still up but I never get low on bolts until a monster zoo, where I exhaust 1-2 tentacle/bomds and many, many simple bolts.

7. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I wouldn't put Perception on the list - it largely makes up for the bad weapon penalty, and any + to traps is a BIG help - especially early on.

Blood Magic
    Ley Walker
    Magic Training
    Thrown Weapons
    Archery
    Artful Dodger
    Vampirism

Dodge and Vamp are often considered good abilities - but in this case, with no combat abilities or defenses, Vamp is a huge liability. Likewise, dodge just isn't going to help you (no regen means running away is of limited use) whereas Perception could, eventually, be giving you lots of trap XP.

8. Silvah

Silvah Member

I'm not so sure on dodge, that means you'll be able to shred early floors with just a few pickups because you can always escape, and ignore traps due to knightly leap.
    My personal thought would be
    Blood magic, ley walker, Magic training, vampirism, staves, dead shot, thrown.

Yes i am granting the poor bait a weapon... but I am looking past floor one to floor 2-3.. after all, with even minor luck on floor 1, you can dual wield rusty blades and make your enemies die of toxic damage. The problem is that staff based weaponry is extremely limited, for you can't rely on finding a good weapon. Also limiting the person to having no starting crossbow means you might not be able to use those bolts of squid if luck doesn't favor you.