The Six Skill Project

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Incendax, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Incendax

Incendax Member

The Six Skill Project is based around the idea that there should be equal rights for minority skills! No glass ceiling should block their advancement just because they happened to be born a certain way. Let's offer ideas for increasing all skills up to 6 ranks. (Why six? Because it's alliterative) Who knows, maybe one of them might even get used! Here are some ideas I had, but don't let that stop you from posting your own!

Dual Wielding Level 5 - Wax on, Wax Off - Pondering the philosophical importance of both your left AND your right hand, you have a 28% chance per attack to inflict +6 Existential Damage. [+2 Counter]

Dual Wielding Level 6 - Whirling Dervish - You swing so fast and so widly you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you! Any creature that moves into an adjacent space to yours takes piercing damage equal to your Melee Power. [+2 Counter, +1 Melee Power]

Shield Bearer Level 6 - Captain Dredmor - Fiendish villains should beware your impervious shield! You have a 10% chance of instantly making a ranged attack against any enemy that triggers your block. [+2 Block]

Master of Arms Level 6 - Unbreakable - This is nothing but a flesh wound! ACTIVE - For the next 10 turns, your Armor Absorption cannot be ignored by any form of damage. Reusable every 80 Turns. [+3 Armor Absorption, +1 Burliness]

Berserker Rage Level 4 - Frenzied Badger - You turn into a raging, frothing, rabies infected berzerker certain to make snakes everywhere flee in terror. Your Berserker Rage and Berserker Vengeance last 18 turns. [+1 Melee Power]

Berserker Rage Level 5 - Scowling Face - A bellow, a roar, a snarl, and everybody knows you really mean business! ACTIVE - 3x3 PBAOE that causes a 2 square knockback. Reusable every 55 Turns. [+1 Melee Power]

Berserker Rage Level 6 - Double Berserk - Whoa, that's a full berserk, all the way! It's a double and complete berserk... Oh my god, what does it mean? Berserker Rage also triggers Berserker Vengeance. Berserker Vengeance also triggers Berserker Rage. [+1 Melee Power]

Deadshot Level 4 - Ricochet - Ancient masters teach the fine art of hitting anything and everything with a single shot. ACTIVE - 3x3 AOE within line of sight, deals damage equal to the higher of your Melee or Ranged damage. Reusable every 80 turns. [+3 Enemy Dodge Chance, +1 Critical Chance]

Deadshot Level 5 - Bounce Back - Hitting people is natural, but hitting them so hard the object bounces back into your grasp is downright supernatural. Increases Ammo Recovery Rate by 30%. [ +2 Enemy Dodge Chance, +1 Critical Chance]

Deadshot Level 6 - Bloody Mess - Even the slightest touch has a chance to cause your foes to lose limbs, vomit blood, or unwillingly donate a kidney. ACTIVE - For the next 20 rounds, every attack you make is automatically a critical hit. Enemies killed by critical hits always leave a 3x3 blood splatter. Reusable every 240 Turns. [+1 Enemy Dodge Chance, +5 Critical Chance]

2. I really like some of theses ideas i can see this in the game one of these days

3. UltimateCarl

UltimateCarl Member

Totally agree. From a min/maxing, build-whoring perspective, this is a bit of an issue. If we're talking pure endgame cheese, it basically makes the last skill of the Magic Training tree useless. Mages get +2 Sagacity per level, so if you take another "full" magic tree and max it out instead, then you'd cumulatively get a bonus equal to the +4 of Magic Training's final skill, PLUS you'd be gaining spells that are actually useful. :/

4. Greg72

Greg72 Member

Generally the shorter the skill tree the more effective the skills per point attribute wise. I'd like to see warrior skill levels actually earn more hp than rogue or mage...

5. kent_shaw

kent_shaw Member

Great! That is what I personally working on. I started from the xbow skill tree and added the other three skills. Sadly, I ran into crashes so often owing to the less knowledge of animation. Where are those anim files hidden BTW?

Here are my ideas:
    level 1:untouched
    level 2:20% proc of piercing shots in a straight line. Weirdly, it stacks with any meelee attacks.
    level 3: untouched
    level 4: AOE attack in a cone area in front with a downtime of 15 rounds.
    level 5: same with other meelee weapon skills at this level, procing bleeding and cripple effects.
    level 6: make a bolt of mass destruction every 300 rounds.

Any comments ?

6. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

More skills is something they should definitely do, but I imagine it will be after all the bug fixes and balancing.

7. shanoah

shanoah Member

For the xbow tree, I'd suggest 'Fletching'. It would be modeled after the first level Burglary skill; you can generate 3 wooden bolts at will, with a long recharge value. (And I would make it special 0 resale value bolts, to avoid people spamming it for money.)

I could see this as being the first skill in the branch, actually.

8. Animation

Animation Member

This would kill my next planned character, who wasnt going to take any skill unless it only has three (entry plus two more) skills in it. It will be a rough combo since I think only throwing anf deadly aim help combat directly. But your plan would wreck my plan. ;)

9. Animation

Animation Member

Er, I meant deadshot.

10. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Animation I am certain you would agree that is a small sacrifice for a sizeable gain. You can always restrict yourself to the first three levels even if they eventually have more.

11. kent_shaw

kent_shaw Member

to shanoah:

Will it ruin the Tinkering skills which are still working well so far?
    Insufficient quantity of bolts could be solved by increasing the recovery rate.
    My plan is to increase the rate to 10%, 20%,... 60%.
    From my testing, the new recovery rate worked ok.

12. Embolus

Embolus Member

My additions to Magic Training revolve around "basic" spells, which any well-trained Mage should know how to cast.

[Magic Training]

Aethereal Missile: A low damage, low mana cost magical projectile that deals Aethereal and Blasting damage.

Negation: Removes all negative effects on self. Costs a sizable chunk of mana to cast.

Mana Shield: All damage recieved is deducted from mana instead. Efficiency of damage to mana conversion increases with Magic Power. Drains mana slowly, and wil be stripped away after taking too many hits.

Additions to Blood Mage are cooldown abilities that allows you to regain mana if the conditions are right. Reaper also has synergies with Fleshsmithing and Vampirism, which I think is fitting.

[Blood Mage]

Sacrifice: Instantly gain a large amount of mana in exchange for health. Cooldown ability.

Reaper: Destroy a corpse within visual range to regain a small amount of mana dependent on Blood Mage level. Cooldown ability. Also acts as a passive that provides the same effect when another corpse-consuming ability is used (Corpse Drain, Corpus Burst, Zombyfycation).

Violate Essence: Deals a medium amount of Existential damage to a target, gain mana and a 10 turn Magic Power bonus proportional to damage dealt. Damage increases with Magic Power. Cooldown ability.

When I first saw the skill "Ley Walker" I thought it would involve actually walking the flows of magic to gain mana or something. Thus, my additions to Ley Walker involve exactly that, although I have no idea if this is even possible to code.

[Ley Walker]

Scryer: Reveals a pattern of Ley lines in the current room. Walking on the Ley lines gives you 1 mana for each step. Cooldown ability (cooldown is as long as the time the Ley lines last). Ley lines are randomly generated on each use (so the same room will likely produce different patterns on different castings).

Flow Focus: You gain more and more mana every turn while standing still on a Ley line (e.g. +1, then +2, then +3, then +4, and so on). Passive ability.

Ley of the Land: The first step you take on a Ley line does not end your turn (so you can move two tiles, or move one tile and take one action). Passive ability.

13. Omnia0001

Omnia0001 Member

New Skill Tree:

Clownnastics
    (no funny names for ranks...all funny named out)
    Rank 1: +1 dodge, +1 armor, +1 enemy dodge reduc
    Rank 2: Skill: Honky Honk (Cooldown: 25, places a Honk Trap on a tile up to 2 square away, Honk Trap stuns enemies one tile away and on it's tile when activated) Honk Trap cannot be picked up. +1 Trap Vision, +1 Magic Resist
    Rank 3: Passive: Clown Shoes (Able to retry not activating traps *by stepping on them* once) +2 Savy, +1 Sneakyness
    Rank 4: Passive: When hit, 10% chance to activate a +4 Crit, +4 melee power buff for 5 attacks. +1 Crit, +1 counter chance, +2 stubborness
    Rank 5: +2 wand affinity, +1 magic power, +2 Existential Damage
    Rank 6: Clown Surprize: Teleports to chosen tile 3 squares away, and damages and pushes back all enemies surrounding that tile. (Cooldown: 30) +1 Trasnmutive Damage, +2 Burliness, +2 Nimbleness

...I felt like making a skill that did tons of random stat buffs per rank.

14. clocknova

clocknova Member

Considering my adamant support for certain aspects of this skill line, this suggestion seems appropriate. What do you think? Too powerful? Too lame?

Archaeology

Rank 4: Don't touch anything!: Traps that cannot be disarmed do less damage. Traps can also be reworked to cause more damage to monsters that trip them. +1 Nimbleness, +1 Trap Affinity
    Rank 5: He made a map!: Gives the player the location of a few key points (shops, shrines, etc.) each time they enter a new dungeon level. +1 Nimbleness, +1 Savvy
    Rank 6: He chose . . . wisely: Allows the player to remove negative buffs from a selected item. +1 Nimbleness, +1 Cadishness

Smithing

Rank 6: Ancient Kronian Ritual: This one really belongs here, I think.

15. Zarekmh

Zarekmh Member

@clocknova

I think putting AKR as smithing rank six is a fantastic idea. It makes sense too.

16. zaratustra

zaratustra Member

Wand Lore Lv. 5 - Wandmorphication: You can call upon the inherent wand-ness of items. If casted successfully, transforms an item into a random, one-use wand. (More effective with staffs, weapons and other wand-like items; with most regular items, it'll likely just destroy the item.)
    Wand Lore Lv. 6 - Summon Inner Wand: You are one with the wand. This ability lets you re-cast the last spell you called forth from a wand, using your own MP.

Fungal Arts Lv. 6 - Fungal Rebirth: Triggers on death, if you have a sufficient amount of mushrooms with you (more for each further use). You are ressurrected, but severely weakened for several hundred turns.

Assassination Lv. 4 - Contract: Active, sets a contract on the species of monster targeted for N turns. Each monster you kill of that species before the contract ends gives you more money.
    Assassination Lv. 5 - Backstab: You deal extra damage when striking an enemy's flanks, and even more damage when striking their back.
    Assassination Lv. 6 - Toxic: Your attacks now have a chance of dealing poisoned status.

Burglary Lv. 6 - Masterstroke: Active, targets an item, chest, door or trap in line of sight. Items are put in your inventory, other devices are triggered.

Alchemy Lv. 6 - Magic Stomach: So much drinking of potions has made your stomach like unto a thing of iron. Beneficial status effects from ingested items are doubled in duration (including eaten foods!).

Tinkering Lv. 6 - Gadgeteer: You can fiddle with a non-artifact item to give it an artifact power. Looong cooldown.

Perception Lv. 5 - Weak Point: You can spot certain weak points in enemies. Adds a vulnerability to a certain type of damage to every enemy you fight.
    Perception Lv. 6 - Radar: Now you -can- see through walls! Active: reveals all tiles in a N-tile radius.

Dual Wielding Lv. 5 - The Thousand Schools: You've held so many weapons in your hands it no longer matters what they're made of. As long as you have one weapon you're familiar with, the other will not give you a penalty for unfamiliarity.
    Dual Wielding Lv. 6 - Whirling Dervish (yes thanks Incendax): Whenever you attack an enemy, you also attack a second enemy adjacent to you at random.

Shield Bearer Lv. 6 - Walking Wall: You are so covered in shields you look like a pangolin. Each shield in your inventory gives you a small boost to Block chance.

Deadshot Lv. 4 - Quickshot: The true master hits before they notice. Reduces counter chance.
    Deadshot Lv. 5 - Headshot: Attacks that damage an enemy by more than half their health have a chance of just killing them outright.
    Deadshot Lv. 6 - Armor Bypass: The gaps on your enemy's armor look like yawning voids to you. Your attacks ignore the target's Armour Absorption.

Archeology Lv. 4 - I've Got A Feeling: Gives you a hint about what room could be behind the door.
    Archeology Lv. 5 - The Truth About Your Ancestors: Like the Translation is Wrong ability... except it randomizes a named -monster-.
    Archeology Lv. 6 - The Hidden World - Usable once, ever. Regenerates the current floor.

17. Patashu

Patashu Member

Berzerker Rage should have a 'get buffed when you destroy statues/crates/urns/etc temporarily' skill called Dwarven Art Critic.
    'Upon considering the finer points of this urn, I have gained a newfound appreciation for RAAARRRGH. Destroy defenseless inanimate objects to get angry faster!'