The Pit

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Barleyman, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

BTW, I got an e-mail that seems to say that if you were entitled to a copy of the game because of participation in the kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign, that you can turn in the same digital code you used for Gamersgate, on STeam. I tried it, and it doesn't work. I'm not sure if I can interpret it as:
    A) It will work but it just has not been implemented yet or
    B) It will work unless you already turned the code in on Gamersgate

I'd love to have it on Steam, simply because of updates (I have version 1.00, and I know that Steam is a version or three ahead of that).

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

FYI: I didn't mention this earlier this week (Sorry) but the codes now work on Steam.

Also, this is from Mecron on the Steam forums:

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

No comment on the price difference between Steam and GamersGate?

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Different sites run promotions/sales at different times. I'm not sure exactly how that works. That would be true for all games. I'm not sure why anyone would have to comment on that.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Because the game, excluding discount, is £8 on GamersGate and £7 on Steam.

6. Aegho

Aegho Member

That gamersgate sometimes has higher prices is not all that strange considering we have a 25% VAT here in sweden, and it's a swedish company. So essentially, 20% of what you pay to them is sales tax. Prices on greenmangaming/gog.com on the other hand are often around 30% lower than what I'd pay on steam/gamersgate, because it has the US market price, doesn't do the €=$ bullshit, and doesn't markup extra for swedish VAT.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

20% VAT in the UK. That still doesn't explain the difference in price (it's about 12.5% more expensive on GG than Steam).

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Ask GamersGate then. But companies will not generally explain how they come up with their prices. My advice is to either wait for a sale at GG, or buy it now on Steam.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's typically the publishers who define the price, I think. I'm not actually overly bothered as I'm not planning to get it in the near future, but I still think it's a little annoying.

10. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

I picked this game up recently and have had some serious fun in the few hours I've played. The guns feel really satisfying for some reason, and I'm seeing hints that there's more to the game then I saw at first glance (e.g. I used one of those brain thingies that boosts your skills if you're successful and got +11 Spear skill; reaction was something like "Dafuq spears? Haven't seen one of those yet"). It's also got me back in the roguelike mood, and I wanna play some Dredmor for the first time in months. Too bad I have so much sociology work to do ;-;

11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Spears are not in the game yet, but I assume they are coming. I've also gotten +20 to blade skill from that item, which can be very nice (Especially if you have a good sword).

12. Also been having some serious fun with this game, which I would say is more unfair/hard than Dredmor. For some people that is a plus, others a negative. :p I have about 60 hours logged thus far, and might actually be on a run that beats the Hard setting.

'Course, now that I've said that, I'm probably doomed.

The Devs have indicated a content patch (with bugfixes) is coming out round Easter. I have my fingers crossed for Friday Canadian Time.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There was yet another update, btw. I'm currently having my best run yet (Scout, currently on level 18, great gear (Cheetah armor and adamantium claws are VERY nice), was touch and go for a bit on ammo, but doing fine right about now. I'm worried though about all the creatures that are damaging my gear, though.

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Some guy actually beat the game on Insane, with the marine, and streamed most of it. It was much too long to watch the whole thing, but what I saw was pretty cool (some spoilers in the videos, of course -- for example, the third video will show you kinda what the last level looks like).

Anyway, considering how hard the game is, that's pretty impressive. A large part of what allowed him to do it, it seems, is the PBA armor fully augmented with +defense mods.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233700/discussions/0/828935361071106109/

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yet another massive LP to watch... Thanks. :D

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

IT's weird to watch because he's having conversations with people during the streaming and:
    1. When he's talking, he's not always actually playing
    2. You can only hear half the conversation and
    3. A lot of it is in Russian.
    So, I don't recommend trying to watch the whole thing from beginning to end. What I did was I jumped a bit until I found a part where he was actually doing something in the game.

BTW, he also has all the recipes in the game (all messages decoded) so I'm sure that was helpful as well.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Now on GOG. I think this might be the cheapest version yet? $10 base, currently $7.50 on offer.