The Persistant Games Bundle Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The problem with Hammerfight is that there is no way to really teach someone how to play it - you just have to get used to the controls. I had no problem with them when that happened, but before that I really sucked at doing anything there.

2. Wootah

Wootah Member

I don't know about that or if they have patched the game, but the tutorial makes almost NO attempt at teaching a player about acquring and switching weapons. And what is the purpose of money. It almost sounded like there was a store in the game, but I will never be sure, I couldn't even find any screenshots for it, but it is constantly flying out of things that get smashed... but who cares if it is only dropped when you continue.

And the brief mention of socketing weapons i saw on youtube. WTF? That is explained nowhere. I dunno man. I think they could have done a better job on so many levels. It might be asking a bit much of an indie game, but english is one of the largest gaming markets, even if the game wasn't made in english, you think they could have done a better job of producing tutorials/information. Having the tutorial finish while only briefly mentioning the controls window which shows you all these things that you didn't get any explanation on is terrible design.

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You get to the store when you are freed from slavery. And this is the point when you learn how to really switch weapons.

Before that, you are just a tribal warrior with no means of actually getting any alternate weapons (which is kind of a shame, as having an alternate weapon would make it possible to throw the giant rock at the worm the first time you fought it, and that would make the fight slightly easier), and then a slave who isn't given a chance for a fair fight.

It's pretty easy to do it when you can. But then again, you have to get far enough in the game (it is explained the very first time you get a gem you can socket into something, and that is not before you stop being a slave).

And the controls are funky enough so that it doesn't help you much...

Either way, there is some info within the game, you just have to get far enough. And before that, you can't really do any of the stuff like that so it is a bit monotonous.

banjo2E likes this.
  4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like you haven't gotten far enough. IIRC after you do the first chapter/introduction you get to the menu area where you can buy stuff in the store and such.
    edit: beaten

5. Wootah

Wootah Member

I may have given up on fighting the worm. There was a level that I played dozens of times (easier route) and never beat it. Is that the level after the attacking blimp things?

Lack of skill? Definitely? Fun introduction? Hardly?
    My first attempt at the game, it classed my mouse at 2000 dpi. I tried the first level for hours. Never got anywhere. Gave up on the game. Second time playing, I recalibrated my mouse and it pulled a 1200 dpi number and i was able to (relatively) easy beat the introductory level. After that I turned my mouse down to 600 and was able to beat a few additional levels.

I wondered if it was unlockable, but the fact that it mentions these things in the tutorial without mentioning that you can't access them right way is kind of stupid. Then telling you there is a controls screen isn't helpful either when it contains tons of additional stuff that it will teach you later.

I might try it again, but it seemed terribly difficult even at 600 dpi.

6. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

haha, I thought you guys were talking about the Dredmor tutorials, it seemed like a brilliant parody

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The "harder" route at that point is a better introduction to this fight, as it makes you fight those worms too (albeit with a lesser handicap). After fighting the worm, you get to the part where you are a slave (or there's one more mission after that, I don't remember now), and the only fight that really comes close to that worm is the last one of the "slavery" chapter where you fight such a worm again, and not only is it a skippable battle (you get a good healing gem if you win that fight) but the level design makes it easier to fight it (your ship is on a chain, but you only have to evade and the worm will damage itself over time by slamming onto walls and ceiling).

Really, the fight against something like that at this point is pretty much a wake-up boss fight. It took me about four dozen tries to get through it, and I only got better after I set my mouse sensitivity to some ridiculous value to make the ship's acceleration really high and learned when to spin to slam the bastard in the face with that rock.

Yeah, that one is confusing. But I came to expect such stuff from Russian games because it tends to happen a lot in them.

8. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Indie Royale has a new game bundle for sale. Here is the link:

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Not much looks good to me but maybe will to some of you.

9. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Cubemen is a fun game after you get past the difficulty curve cliff face.

10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

SOL: Exodus has gotten several recommendations.

11. Frelus

Frelus Member

I don't understand what some people see as difficulty cliffs...
    I mean, I understood how to make a working dwafen society after 2 hours or so, the only thing bringing me slight headaches being the military system.
    And the usual picture for it's difficulty level is this:
    [​IMG]
    But, well, maybe it was the guide I used for a successful start, telling me what signs meant, etc.
    Once you know how it works though, it is quite easy.
    Well, for a Bundle:
    The Indie Gala Bundle
    I don't know about these games, played the sequel to Space Rangers and it was quite fun (Kind of a Roleplaying Turnbased game with simultaneous turns and little story)
    I did not like Star Wolves when I played it a while ago, though.

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You just had a quick start. For most people it takes days to achieve anything meaningful in DF, especially if they choose to get a newer version from the get-go.

banjo2E likes this.
  13. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

My experience with DF was thus:

• All right, I have dorfs!
    • Okay, now, how do I make them do things?
    • Uh...
    • Screw this

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  14. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just love that image Frelus. I wonder where DoD would be on the curve?

Sadly, it looks like I will miss the latest bundles. On the good side, none of them really interest me.

But please keep the thread going when you see another bundle someone may enjoy.

16. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

fieldrunners and bit.trip.beat are worth the $1 entry fee.

but now they added the old android bundle #1 games (anomaly,edge,osmos,world of goo)as a bonus,but i already have those games and you cant get duplicates of games you already own FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!:mad:

ill trade anypony my bonus HB steam key for a copy of the Dredmor Wizardlands DLC,otherwise you would have to beat the $6.21 average to get those games :oops:

17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

By the way, Humble Bundle added an account feature last week, it's quite nice to be able to regroup all your games onto one page instead of needing to track all the separate keys.

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

19. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

the Indie Gala bundle is worth it for Sacred Gold alone. It's $10 in most places so you'd save money anyway. Really good RPG.

20. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Yeah, I have the disc version of this and enjoyed it but have never yet finished this. :confused: