BETA 52B The Current State of the Game

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Aaron Righter, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Aaron Righter

Aaron Righter Member

Hey guys. My name is Aaron and I have been playing Clockwork Empires for 778 hours. This is the most I've played any game in my Steam library with Fallout 4 (669 hours), Prison Architect (637 hours), Civ V (499 hours), Warhammer 40k (400 hours) rounding out my top 5. I mention that because I am a big management and RTS fan, anything with interesting choices to be made and resources to manage is really fun for me. But enough about me, this is about CE and where it's at now. I really enjoy it. I mean, I wouldn't have played it for this long if I hadn't! However 52B has made a lot of changes and I feel I have to speak up.

First, the bric-a-brac. I think it works great, I really like it. Having a generalized intermediate good makes sense, you can't realistically make intermediate goods for the two or three dozen tiny decor items each that would be crazy. Second, the immigration system. Giving the houses more purpose makes a lot of sense, I like this as well. What I really don't like, is repair kits. Clockwork Empires takes time. Maybe in the future this will be mitigated, but right now everything moves very slowly. Let me give you an example. When I first start up the game, I have a basic set of moves. I drag me a big square across my starting area to chop down trees. I mine some rock. I flatten a big part of the terrain. Then I go watch YouTube. For about 20 minutes. Depending on my loadout, I might start a farm. Put up a carpentry office. Just kinda watch everyone do stuff. Play a different game on my phone. Finally after getting a nice stock of stuff up, I'll start building a barracks, a kitchen, a house and really start getting into it more.

Adding repair kits just slows down an already slow game.

I don't want the game to become a tapping game. It already is when I'm making 600 chilli stews on three ovens, I have to swing by the kitchen and re-up the oven item max. Now I have to have the carpentry constantly make repair kits and re-up that all the time? Ugh. A game is a series of interesting choices. Repair kits do not make things interesting.

You guys are great, keep up the great work and I hope to see some more cult and horror stuff soon, and find out what secrets are hiding behind [REDACTED]!

Unforked and Manamoo like this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I just want to say, thank you for sticking with us for that many hours and we appreciate yours and everyone's feedback deeply.

Unforked, dbaumgart and Rentahamster like this.
  3. Aaron Righter

Aaron Righter Member

Hey no problem, I have really enjoyed watching the game grow and I'm looking forward to all the things that are next! =)

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yeah, jeez. 700 hours?! Good grief.

5. mistrornge

mistrornge Member

6. Unforked

Unforked Member

I haven't looked at my hours yet. I am afraid.

7. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

267 here... CE has now passed Godus... but has a long way to go to reach the 1022 of Civ5

Unforked likes this.
  8. Unforked

Unforked Member

Oooh, you must be chomping at the bit for Civ 6! I am.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Rentahamster and Mikel like this.
  9. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

You know it.

Rentahamster likes this.