The Compleat Essential Skills

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Mar 26, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

No problem. I am just glad to have helped. :) Enjoy it!

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I swear I'd already added those skill files in. Welp, I did it this time. Reuploaded. Plz to redownload. :)

Thanks!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Zook

Zook Member

at least the files are small.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

LOL Thanks. :D

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Confirming that Ninpo works now.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Heal on Turn from photosynthesis can be resisted.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Essence

Thanks, I'll get that fixed on the next update.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I have found something strange. For Qi Smite, you have it doing a spell called "Summon Brax". Unfortunately, I can not find that spell anywhere in your spellDB.xml or the vanilla games spellDB.xml, I don't have RotDG. So whenever I try to use the Qi Smite skill, it does nothing except eat up my mana. Not sure if this was intentional or not but thought I should let you know. Great mod. :)

EDIT: struck through something because I was confusing it with something else. This isn't a skill, just that the "Summon Brax" spell doesn't seem to exist is confusing me. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Essence

_

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

So I've played about 8-9 characters with Kung Fu now and I think the skill order is a little bit cracked. I've said elsewhere that I really like the skill, and its true that it does provide a skill for most situations. I've found myself continually swapping from one stance to another, depending on what the worst damage type of a floor was or if I wanted insane piercing damage. The thing is, for the first time ever I've found myself getting past DL10 with it and I find myself always in...

Batty Stance.

In fact, if I had the whole run to do over again, I'd take Batty Stance and ignore the rest of the skill until I'd maxed some other skill trees, maybe even leave it for last. The bonuses from Batty Stance are huge. +15% :dodge: , +10% :edr: , +6% :counter: and 1:dmg_slashing:, plus a (rare) proc. I don't really think the stance is terribly OP but as a melee character I feel it's really the best for lower floors. It reduces incoming attacks by over 15% and once you're past DL 7 or 8 that's way better than a few points of bonus damage or damage resistance. And in a short period of time you'll have access to a diggle god that makes needing :life_regen: a thing of the past.

I think you might want to push the skill up the tree at least one or two places. It's definitely more powerful than the Gnome stance, probably more powerful than Blobby stance. A determined character can have all three of those stances by the end of DL1, but at least then he'll have put more investment than 1 skill point into the skill for his major defensive boost. You might even want to shave 5 :nimbleness: off of the skill. I know that I generally evaluate primary stat changes last when looking at equipment and skills, but off the six Nimbleness is, as they say, pretty great. 30 points of it may be too much.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. mining

mining Member

Yeah, I think you're right - I found I just took batty stance then stopped.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Essence

I actually fully intended Batty Stance to be something that was more powerful in the later levels than it seemed at first, but it seems like maybe I did too good of a job? Is that 15% damage reduction really better than the 8 Armor and 6 damage from Stone Golem stance? Or Or the frequent Obvious Fireballs of the Carrot stance?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

:dodge: trumps :armor_asorb: and :block:. Every last time. Taking no damage is always better than taking less damage. If I could manage it, I would take negative :armor_asorb: and :block: to get 100+ :dodge:. It does not even matter what character build I am making. It is really that good. But please do not nerf it too badly if you must nerf it.

14. Essence

Well, that's provably false. 15% damage reduction is only better than 8 points of damage reduction when the base amount of damage your taking is equal to or greater than 53. Of course, exotic damage types and a bunch of other factors play into that as well, but the principle still holds water.

What do you think is appropriate?

12:dodge:?

10?

8?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

What. Batty stance isn't super powerful why nerf it. The nimbleness is nice but the other abilities pretty much outshine it completely unless you are specifically going for a dodge themed build.

Also, adrenaline dump buffs :savvy: and debuffs :caddishness:. I am pretty sure this is meant to be buffing :stubborness: and debuffing :savvy:.
    Honestly though, I would just buff and debuff secondary stats directly, to ensure adrenaline dump has some kind of effect if other debuffs are running and to keep mana from being mysteriously lost forever.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Honestly I see no reason to nerf it at all. But if others think it should be nerfed, I will abstain from commenting further. Someone will answer your question about how much to nerf it.

17. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Well, to be honest I've only maxed the skills with melee characters who had tons of AA already. They really didn't need more. And again, 6 damage isn't a whole lot on the later floors. Unless it was making the difference between two swings and three, I probably wouldn't go for the stance. For some reason I had been thinking that there were more fire-resistant monsters on the later floors, so I ignored Carrot stance. I checked the Exotic damages thread and see that I am wrong! My own mistake, there.

Still, I think Batty form is a little too good for where it is. I would probably nerf the :nimbleness: down to 25 and push Batty stance up past Gnome stance. I think that would make it OK.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Anti-Poison crashes the game on use.

By the way Essence, if you'd like use of a high fidelity mic ever for some reason and have a fire wire port, I'm not that far away I don't think. I have a Eidorol FA-66 and a nice XLR condensor mic. Don't have a car though, so you'd need to come over here to borrow. Give me a PM if you are interested.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Essence

Thank you! That is a very intriguing offer, Kaidelong. I know at least one person is begging for soundfx.xml to be editable; if the devs make it so, i might have a very good reason to want to borrow those soon.

Where is 'nearby', anway? :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Issaquah, WA

Also, Van Wilder doesn't work as described. It suggests there will be a wild surge every time you drink booze. In practice it seems like nothing special happens when you drink booze.

OmniaNigrum likes this.