The Compleat Essential Skills

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Ooooh...that may be a serious issue. Did it just load up and play the death animation as soon as the game started?

Also, Lorr, let me know if it happens again; i've been unable to replicate that at all.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Haven't had a repeat, Essence. Looks like a one time thing. I notice that in the new version of Essential Skills the skills are now grouped in a different order when you start a new game (the three warrior skills together, then the three rogue skills and the three wizard skills, instead of the order they were listed in their individual mods). Wild Magic is now in the spot where Kung Fu was when I created that character. From this I infer that something changed inside the mod that resulted in this bizarre skill change. I haven't had the issue with characters created solely with the new version of the mod. Sadly, in spite of an 80HP bonus from a Kung Fu buff with no Kung Fu ranks, the loss of synergy was enough that my character was killed shortly after I made that post by a named Big Blue from an Evil Chest.

That said, I've had some issues with the new form of Kung Fu as well. While I haven't died on loading a character yet (although I'm going to go out and test that in the near future) I have died twice seemingly at random when I had less than 80 HP and an active Kung Fu buff. The first time I wasn't paying attention and clicked past the death screen too fast to check out what was going on, but the second time the game had just autosaved. Both times I was told I died from a buff wearing off. While it's a nifty idea, I'm not sure that the whole "-80HP with a buff to make up for it" plays well with the save game system.

Sometime today or tomorrow I'll try and replicate the phenomenon and post some screenshots.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Yeah. It also played the death animation after I Just Quit that time, actually. No tombstone or anything though until I reloaded.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

Hmmm...not sure how to deal with this. Should I tone down Kung Fu? Should I just leave it up, warn people, and beg the devs for help? What do y'all think?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I would tone it down a bit. Characters rarely survive long enough to get the HP needed, anyway, at least on Going Rogue+Random Builds. Honestly, I didn't think Kung Fu was broken before.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Essence

Really? I had a couple of people tell me they thought it was OP, thus the buff gate. I suppose I could just lower the buff gate to 50 HP or so, but that wouldn't really solve the problem.

I think for now I'll just remove the buff gate altogether and hope that people tell me if they think Kung Fu is too powerful without it.

OmniNegro and Kaidelong like this.
  7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Everybody knows all your mods are OP Essence :3

(I haven't played Kung Fu yet, just teasing)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Essence

OK, Kung Fu buff gate removed. I kept the 'extra' first level, though, just because I think the destroyObject ability is cool and tactically useful. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

To tell the truth, I think removing the static abilities from each form ability and adding the rookie level to the skill balances it out nicely. It was probably a touch OP before but, since Batty and Jigger aren't really powerhouse melee abilities, I'd say the skill requires enough investment to balance the later stuff at this point.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Hey Essence? Not to double post or anything, but I have to wonder... should Archmages really spawn with 99 potions of mana, or was that just a playtesting thing? I mean, it's nice and all, but really, you might want to tone down that rollout a bit.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Essence

HAHAHAHA! My bad!

Thanks, Lorr. :D

Fix'd, please reupload.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Got the fix. Also, having played with the skill for about half an hour now, I'd like to say that Archmage is probably the most interesting Wizard skill I've played with in DoD. That said, I probably shouldn't have picked it as my only spell skill, given how expensive the spells are. At least I've got Trancendetal Meditation and all those potions to keep my mana full...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Essence

Well, thank you, Lorrelian. I really really wanted to stretch the system to do something mechanically unique and interesting. I'm actually mildly scared of the results, but it sure was fun to make. :cool:

I made the spells pretty expensive to reflect the fact that they each offer a few to several different level-appropriate effects (some of which can be invoked at the same time by the clever caster), but if I get too many complaints that its too expensive to be useful, I'm willing to listen. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Ketil

Ketil Member

I seem to be unable to get past the first step of arcane consecration, no matter what I eat nothing happens, using 1.0.10 with only this mod, reinstalled the game to be sure all the files are updated.
    Any ideas on what might be wrong?

(unless its random messing with me with the 90% chance)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Essence

I'll test it as soon as I get the chance. Anyone else still having this problem after my last update?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Kaja Rainbow

Kaja Rainbow Member

The idea of Wild Magic's fun, but... Fundamentally, I have the same problem with it as I've had with some of your other mods. In short, it gives too many items. This is a familiar complaint, I'm sure. (I made a similar one about your modified archery skill.) I actually concluded that I didn't really need Dire Gourmand due to the drinks the wild surges were handing out and rerolled my wild mage without that skill. But as I played, it began feeling rather cheesy, and I aborted my game.

I'd already gotten a few brimstone flasks on the first floor alone along with a number of bolts and potions. An early wild surge saved my rear end from a roomful of dragon whelps when it gave me a thermite bomb which I used to very good effect to whittle them down so I could Light Dart them to death before they could do enough damage to kill me. Let's not forget invisibility potions, etc. A single item like that can really turn situations around, and I've noticed your mods tend to hand them out like candy.

I think those item-giving wild surges really need to be toned down. If you keep the item-giving wild surges (and I'm not convinced they're the best ideas, given how similar it makes Wild Magic feel to your Perception mod, or your Archery mod), at the very least you should cut down the number of items they give. Say, one or two each wild surge. Even that might be a bit much given how much I was drowning in items on the first floor with just the first level of Wild Magic (not having invested in it any further than that). I can only imagine how much stuff later levels in Wild Magic'd give me.

I really should expand on that feeling of similarity, since it's actually an important one to me. The item giving doesn't feel as much like Wild Magic to me as the other effects do. That's only a subjective impression, though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Let me turn it around on you Kaja Rainbow. The item summons could easily be toned down in frequency by adding effects. So can you offer ideas that the game is currently able to provide for the mod to have?

How would you feel if Wild Magic was more negative? Like random fireballs that may i and thus ruin your game? That would adhere to what you are complaining about by not offering as many items since the possibility of an item summon would be shuffled with a fireball summon. But I think you would find that much worse. What about if it teleported you randomly? Again, I think you would be rather more disappointed.

I do not mean this as a confrontation. Rather I am really trying to see if you know what can be done to fix this without removing item summons. (I *Like* the item summons even if they are sometimes overpowered.)

18. Kaja Rainbow

Kaja Rainbow Member

Before i create any suggestions for that, I'm going to try a run with the item creation wild effects commented out. Then I can get a better idea for what to suggest instead. Also, I feel like in general the value of item creation tends to get underestimated by some modders.

And I actually already made a suggestion to tone down the number of spawned items per wild effect.

EDIT; Oh, how handy, all I needed to disable item generation was to comment out a single line. I'll try a run with this and see how it turns out.

OmniNegro likes this.
  19. Kaja Rainbow

Kaja Rainbow Member

Some comment: So far, Brax's caused my death twice. Not sure how this should be handled. It's possible that Wild Magic simply might be a bad idea to combine with Radiant Wizard, given how the latter restricts you to having not much means of handling mobs near Brax beyond spellcasting (and thus risking wild effects). Maybe I should invest into Alchemy or something similar.

Also, I actually hit Brax with a wild surge once when he was nowhere in sight (behind a door?), triggering the appearance of a bunch of Dread Collectors. This was before I tried disabling item spawning by the way. Is there a means to restrict those kinds of offensive wild surges to only affecting mobs in sight, or the like? That might help prevent such unexpected Brax/Dread Collector aggro. As is, it's a pretty tense experience playing with this, not knowing when a wild surge might hit an unseen Brax.

Alternatively, does anyone have any experience with handling those types of situations?

Situations like that makes me wonder if Brax should be altered in some manner. For example, making him invulnerable and no longer aggroing upon being hit, but losing that invulnerable when he tries to kill you after you try stealing something. I dunno.

I'll have to test more, but nuking opponents behind door and walls (if that's what's happening) might be problematic, especially once you have more levels of Wild Magic along with more MP and can try to trigger wild surges specially for that purpose. I'll have to figure out what exactly's going on here.

I'll say that it's not always obvious what a wild surge did--it's only once I look around that it becomes apparent that it appeared to have refilled my mana bar or the like. Maybe some floater text might be displayed to make it more clear. ("Wild Mana!", etc.)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Have wild surges work differently for different taxa, the triggers for demons guaranteed to do too little damage to aggro Brax.

OmniaNigrum likes this.