The Compleat Essential Skills

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

One more minor update. While I was coding Drunken Boxing, I took a moment to add an item-given and recipe-learned to each level of Degree of Dungeoneering. I think this'll be stable until Drunken Boxing is ready to be released.

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Just a pendantic note here. Slimes are not squamous. Wyrmlings and Fish are. So "sliding squamously into the stance of the blobby" is kind of confusing unless blobbies have scales.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  3. The Fool

The Fool Member

Something I'm not sure about from the thread/steam workshop comments: does True Arcane Power now work in the workshop variant, or am I wasting time going for that 1/100 chance buff?

e: never mind, it just proc'd. Sorry about that.

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. Essence

It is working. As of right now, the only known error is that Saved By The Bell is still not working properly.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Fixed Save by the Bell. Also changed All Nighter to be a self spell, because I have no idea why it required a target to perform a PBAoE sleep effect. :oops:

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  6. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

Alright, I've built up my current Archmage character to Vile Archmagic, and found a trio of bug/discrepancies (v0.1I):

1. Elder's Power Trigger doesn't trigger because it's missing the second "g" in spellDB.
    2. Insanity lowers Stubbornness; the documentation indicates it should drain Sagacity instead. Of course, the documentation calls Archmagic "Warlockery" and lists Enhanced Magic twice, so AwF***It I'm Bob the Unbuilder what do I care.
    3. True Arcane Glory raises Savvy; the documentation indicates it should raise Sagacity instead. ("Fixing" this myself was what eventually led to my most recent post in the Bug Reports subforum.) The documentation packaged with the mod doesn't match what's earlier in the thread. :oops:

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Essence

Thanks! I'll fix those and make sure the documentation matches up. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

I'm not saying it is, but if you ever feel that All-Nighter is overpowered, the logical nerf (and an interesting feat of coding) for it is to make it fit its flavour more precisely, such that you get the bonus on odd turns and everything is normal on even turns. Basically, casting a 1-turn sleep every other turn.

Should be an interesting thing to figure out.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Essence

Minor new update -- teleports now have skipAnimation to avoid looking silly; Insanity changed slightly; Elder's Power now triggers properly; documentation updated.

Also, Shaxarox, sleep lasts until a creature is awakened, so your suggestion is mostly meaningless. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Essence, then don't use sleep. Use something reflavored as sleep ("Slumber" perhaps or "Napping"), which can be timed to a single round. The real issue of course is getting the toggling to work, which shouldn't be too hard now that I think about i. Use a system similar to the Necronomiconomics shtick to delay them correctly.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Essence

If it turns out to be overpowered, I'll consider it. At the moment, though, it doesn't seem like it is.

SPECIAL ALERT: CALLING ALL MODDER-PLAYTESTERS

What follows is a special upload of CES with drunken boxing enabled. NOW, I've done very preliminary playtesting, and I've come across a complete brick wall that I can't seem to get around: none of the drinkbuffs past Drunken Stance are proccing correctly. I have no idea why. Drunken Stance works perfectly, Staggerstep and ALTZDMAT seem to be OK, but I can't get Kung Fu Chaser, Drunken Celestial Fire Surround, or Inebriate Uber-Combo to trigger. [edit: I should note that the Validator doesn't see any problems with it.]

Please, if anyone has more time than I do, please help me try to figure out why.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

Hey, I am looking into this and I just wanted to make sure I was reading the xml right. If you max out this tree, everytime you drink booze, you should activate Drunken Stance, Kung Fu Chaser, Booze is Life, Drunken Celestial Fire Surround, and Inebriate Uber-Combo all at the same time from a single drink? I am going to assume that is the case till I hear back from you otherwise. :)

EDIT: Also, for some reason, when I load up that version of the CES, Bushido has no icon on the skill select screen, or in the skill book. The icon for the first skill is also missing in the skill book. This does not seem to cause any issues what-so-ever.

EDIT 2: Just another quick question. Are you supposed to be in Drunken Stance for the rest of the game if after you drink 1 booze?

EDIT3: The StumbleUpon spell has two options labeled option name="Sorry!" but Sorry! does not exist in the spellDB, I am sure that is intentional, but could that possible account for why sometimes you teleport many, many times? I am trying other things to correct that issue as well.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Essence

DRUNKEN BOXING:
    Level 1: Drunken Stance. Grants 1 Subbornness. The first time you drink booze, you gain a persistent removable buff that will last for the entire rest of the game unless you decide to take it off. It grants +10 Crit, +10 Dodge, +10 Counter, -10 EDR, and -4 Melee Power.

Level 2: Kung Fu Chaser. Grants 1 Subbornness. If you drink while you are already drunk (i.e. you have the Fuelled by Booze buff active), you will gain a buff of +13 Health Regeneration, +5 Critical, +5 Counter, +10 Dodge, and +4 Blasting damage. This buff lasts until you run out of booze or you activate Inebriate Uber-Combo (see below) -- but it can also get knocked off (9% chance per hit) by successful enemy attacks.

Level 3: Staggerstep. Grants 1 Subbornness. This is a removable buff with a 45-turn cooldown. Unless you remove it, it stays active. Whenever the buff is active, every successful attack you make rolls a die. On a 1, you move 1 square North, attacking and knocking back whatever happens to be in that square. On a 2, you do the same thing to the South. 3, you move East. 4, you move West. On a 5 or 6, you do nothing. This will also happen 25% of the time when an enemy hits you. This interacts for lots of fun with Inebriate Uber-Combo, as you will move several times per turn (after all of your attacks are made).

Level 4: Arbitrarily Long-Titled Zany Drunken Martial Arts Technique. Grants 1 Subbornness. ALTZDMAT is a melee attack that has a 10% chance (each -- yes, several can be activated by the same attack) of activating the following effects:
    * Extra Crushing damage equal to 1+(.2 * Stubbornness)
    * Extra Slashing damage equal to 1+(.2 * Stubbornness)
    * Extra Blasting damage equal to 1+(.2 * Stubbornness)
    * Knockback
    * 12-turn Lockdown
    * Blind
    * Fear
    * 3-turn Paralyze
    * Pacify
    Furthermore, from this level onward, any time you drink booze, you gain +12 XP. Yay!

Level 5: Drunken Celestial Fire Surround. Grants 1 Stubbornness. Every time you drink booze, you unleash a fire attack on the creatures around you. First, you deal 9 Conflagratory and 2 Aethereal damage to adjacent creatures. Then, you deal 6+(.6*Caddishness) Conflagratory damage and 1+(.4*Stubbornness) Aethereal damage to all creatures within 2 squares of you in the four cardinal directions.

Level 6: Inebriate Uber-Combo. Grants 5 Stubbornness. If you drink booze and you have Kung Fu Chaser active, it ends Kung Fu Chaser and intiates Inebriate Uber-Combo. (If you want Kung Fu Chaser back, you can drink again and it will return.) Inebriate Uber-Combo lasts until you run out of booze or until it's knocked off by an enemy attack (9%, like Kung Fu Chaser.) While Inebriate Uber-Combo is active, you suffer a -8 penalty to Melee Power, but you attack three times each turn. (If you kill your target with one of the first two attacks, the series ends.)

GANGNAM STYLE:
    Level 1: Mad Beats. Grants 3 HP and 6 Caddishness. Also grants a 100% on-hit, 5-turn buff that grants 2 Melee Power and 6 Nimbleness -- but far more importantly, NONE OF THE OTHER ABILITIES IN THIS SKILL WILL FUNCTION unless you have the "Gangnam Beats" buff active.

Level 2: Wierdly Erotic Sideways Shuffle Dance. Grants 2 Dodge. Also gives the spell Weirdly Erotic Sideways Shuffle Dance.
    Weirdly Erotic Sideways Shuffle Dance: activateable, infinite-until-removed buff that gives you -5 Dodge, 6 Caddishness, a 75% chance on-hit to move one square to the side (50% of either side), hitting anything there for 1* Melee Power crushing damage and an unresistable knock, and a 25% chance WHEN-hit to do the same thing. This buff is removes and is removed by Pretend Lasso Dance and Reverse Cow...Boy?.

Level 3: Venue Change. Grants 3 Caddishness. Gives the spell Venue Change.
    Venue Change: Costs 11 -(.07*Savvy) Mana (minimum 7). Blinks the character an awful long distance away. If you have Reverse Cow...Boy? active, it also reveals the entire map of the level you're on.

Level 4: Polystyrene Gale. Grants 3 points of Asphyxiative Resist, 4 Critical. Gives the spell Polystyrene Gale.
    Polystyrene Gale: Costs 17 -(.08*Savvy) Mana (Minimum 8). Hits a custom area (basically a column 3 squares wide and a dozenish squares long) for 7+(.31 * Magic Power) Asphyxiative damage and removes invisibility on everything in the area. If you have Reverse Cow...boy? active, it deals drain rather than simple damage.

Level 5: The Pretend Lasso Dance. Grants 2 points of EDR. Gives the spell Pretend Lasso Dance.
    Pretend Lasso Dance: Gives the player an infinite, removable buff that grants a 50% on-hit proc that selects randomly from six effects:
    1) Lasso Paralysis: 2 turn irresistable paralyze.
    2) Lasso Lockdown: 8-turn lockdown.
    3) Lasso Binding: 5-turn -50 Nimbleness penalty.
    4) Lasso Strangle: 12-turn DoT that deals 3+(.09 * Caddishness) Asphyxiative per turn.
    5) Lasso Whip: Deals 8+(.2 * Critical) Slashing damage.
    6) Lasso Switch: Swaps with the monster and deals 5+(.2*Critical) crushing damage.
    This buff removes and is removed by Weirdly Erotic Sideways Shuffle Dance and Reverse Cow...boy?

Level 6: Hey, Sexy Lady! Grants 2 points of Counter. Gives the spell Hey, Sexy Lady!
    Hey, Sexy Lady!: Costs 18 -(.11 * Savvy) mana (minimum 11). Summons between zero and three Assassins, low-HP/high-Dodge/high-attack pets. If you have Reverse Cow...boy? active, it summons significantly more (average of 6, but between zero and two dozen) Assassins.

Level 7: Cool Guys Never Look At The Explosion: Grants 2 points of Conflagratory Resistance and 2 points of Magic Resistance. Gives the spell The Explosion.
    The Explosion: Costs 22 - (.9 * Savvy) mana (minimum 16). Deals 6+(.2*Magic Power) Blasting damage and 4+(.2*Magic Power) Conflagratory damage to a template 105 radius. If you have Reverse Cow...boy? active, it's Midas damage and also drops a little extra zorkmids on each square.

Level 8: Reverse Cow...boy? Grants 9 points of Caddishness. Gives the spell Reverse Cow...boy?.
    Reverse Cow...boy?: Gives the player an infinite, removable buff that gives the player +6 to every Primary stat, +1 Vision Radius, and +1 Armor Absorb. It removes and is removed by Wierdly Erotic Sideways Shuffle Dance and The Pretend Lasso Dance.

14. Essence

Many munificent thanks to DragonDai for his help pinning down the problems with Drunken Boxing; it's all fixed up now and works like a dream (as far as I've been able to puch it)! It's now uploaded in the OP, ready to play with for a week or two before I give it to the Steam people.

Enjoy!

OmniaNigrum and Daynab like this.
  15. Essence

Well, Inebriate Uber-Combo won't trigger unless you have Kung Fu Chaser active, and it removes Kung Fu Chaser when it activates (though yet another drink will bring it back if you really care.) But other than that, yes, you are intended to get bonus XP, an AoE attack, and a buff all from drinking a single drink. :)

I don't have this problem. Anyone else?

Yep.

I have no idea; the only times I've teleported more than once are when Inebriate Uber-Combo allowed me to make multiple attacks in one round -- which is what's supposed to happen. :)

To test: does Inebriate Uber-Combo allow you to make multiple ALTZDMATs in one round?

...I think that's it!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

Odd...I could swear I just posted this and now it's not here....

Anyway, I am glad I could help, though I didn't really do all that much...esspecially after looking at the new code...what exactly did you do to make it work, if you don't mind me asking? It just looks REALLY similar to the old code (forgive me if there is something obvious, it's pretty late for me and my brain ceased to function a while ago).

Now that it is working, I am totally gana use it in my new build. It fits perfectly!

EDIT: Also, with the new build and with no other mods even in my mod folder, I am still have the issue with the bushido .png and the .png for the first skill showing up as black boxes. The skill still works fine, and I checked the .xml and the /skills folder and everything seems to be lining up just fine, but again, I could just be missing something obvious. Yep, it was something obvious. There was a Bushio.jpg and a Bushido64.png.png along with the Bushido64.png and Bushido32.png that should have been there. Deleted them and bam, problem solved.

OmniNegro likes this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have yet to even use this. I have been wasting all my gaming time playing Wazhack. Man. That game is awesome! But back to CES. I will install it and see what I can find.

18. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

Did the obligatory Google-ing...hmm.....may have to give this a try...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

20. Essence

\

The problem was that Kung Fu Chased Ender was triggering End Kung Fu Chased immediately, because something was strange with the requirebuffonnottrigger that was supposed to keep it from doing so. I have no idea what that thing was, but the Validator was calling a strange error ("requirebuffonnottrigger is not a valid element in this ability") that wasn't there the last time I validated it -- so I just copy/pasted the functional requirebuffonnottrigger from Archmage into Kung Fu Chased Ender and Inebriate UberCombo Ender, and it started working like magic...

...after another 3.5 hours of playtesting and dicking around to make sure that, for example, drinking one drink didn't trigger Kung Fu Chaser and then immediately trigger Inebriate UberCombo (thus ending Kung Fu Trigger instantly), and a whole bunch of other complicated timing problems mostly involving the interactions between those two abilities. :)

DragonDai and OmniNegro like this.