The Compleat Essential Skills

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Mar 26, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

What version do you need? (There was a reason I asked him to start using version numbers. I keep the last few versions for a month or two in case of this sort of thing.)

Here. I will delete this post anytime Essence asks, or when it seem unneeded.

*Edit* Note that this version 0.1D is different than the current version.

Attached Files:

2. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

That worked like a charm. I just disabled the Steam Workshop version, put the older one in the mods folder and BAMMO! I can play the save again! Thanks Omni!! :D

On that note, there seem to be some other people affected by this issue that posted about it in the Steam Workshop comments section of the mod. I mentioned what was the likely cause of the issue that they were experiencing and that seemed to calm them down a bit. But, if it's okay, I will like this page over on the Workshop so people can get their saves working again.

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Workshop mods are .dats, not.zips or file structures. No editing there.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

Yeah, I figured that would be the case, so I figured I would just get a manual (non-Workshop) copy and fix it up that way, which it turns out I didn't even need to fix cause Omni had the exact previous version I was using! :D

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

New update again -- apparently even the Kiaido-as-activated ability was causing memory problems for quite a few people (myself included). The new Bushido replaces Kiaido entirely with something more passive (unfortunately): Vorpality.

Vorpality actually grants a negative damage bonus (-1 Crushing, Piercing, and Blasting), but does significant additional damage (7 + .5 * Nimbleness) on a critical hit against an adjacent foe (sorry, thrower/archers). This actually makes life slightly more difficult on the first floor (Warriors can use the extra challenge), but is quite powerful in the late game, especially for more Roguey types.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

wow...that sounds amazing for the character I currently have bushido (the activated version) on! DAMN! Now I have to use your amazing skill once again...oh the horror.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, the scaling on that might need to be brought down a bit, I haven't had time to test it at high levels. If it's too strong on an Axes/Assassin/Bushido/all-rogue NImbleness+Crit build, it might need to be adjusted.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. DragonDai

DragonDai Member

I am a middling nimbleness, SUPER high crit (standing 94 crit before buffs from Avenging Executioner) roguish/warriorish little adventurer right now almost done with level 8. Any way to merge the change into my current game without breaking the save? I'd be happy to test it out for you.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Kaelik

Kaelik Member

I am not a modder so I can't look at the code and tell you anything, but I think there is a problem with True Arcane Glory, either the trigger of the buff.

I got up to Glorious Power and am hiding in a room farming Frodo's Jump Discontinuity looking for anything, and after about 600 casts now I still haven't triggered it once, or if I did trigger it, it didn't buff anything.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I thought it only worked on spells that kill things?

*Edit* To get to GP you need to get through AC3. Here it is.
    Code:
    <spell name="Arcane Consecration Step III" type="self">
        <buff usetimer="1" time="2" self="1" icon="skills/arcane_consecration_3_64.png" smallicon="skills/arcane_consecration_3_32.png">
            <description text="Excellent! Now slay another and twine their souls together like a good little Archmage."/>
            </buff>
        </spell>
    So you have to kill something to get GP. How can Frodo's Jump Discontinuity kill something? I am not understanding what you are asking.

11. Kaelik

Kaelik Member

If so, it should probably say that somewhere... Like in the description created by the modder that explains the mechanics.

Also, I did see the one guy post the text of Arcane whatever on page 11 and it says "triggeroncast: True Arcane Glory"

If the problem is shitty documentation, then that's fine too, but that should be corrected so people don't waste their time.

EDIT: I got up to Glorious Power. I already have Glorious Power, that's why I said I already have Glorious Power. What I am saying is that Glorious Power doesn't trigger True Arcane Power or True Arcane Glory, or whatever the permanent buff is.

EDIT2: If I am going to switch out the steam workshop version for the manual version, am I going to have to start all over?

Is there a way to mod the steam workshop version? It's just a .dat that doesn't show up as anything legible in notepad, and searching hasn't found any suggestions on how to expand, edit, and reclose it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Here. This may clarify a bit.

Code:
    <ability name="Ritual of Arcane Consecration" icon="skills/arcane_consecration_4_64.png" skill="609"  level="2">
        <description text="You can perform a complex ritual to gain great magical power. First, kill a foe. Then, ceremonially eat something -- anything, really -- representing the foe's flesh.  Then, drink something -- again, what doesn't matter -- representing it's blood.  That will get you ritually purified -- then you have a short time to kill another foe and offer it's soul to the Eldritch Beings. Do all of that successfully in immediate succession, and Great Cosmic Power will be yours. Of course, it's a complex ritual, and sometimes it goes wrong for no apparent reason, so be prepared for things not to work out like you expect."/>
        <targetKillBuff percentage="90" name="Dubstep Trigger Mechanism"/>
        <foodBuff percentage="90" name="Arcane Consecration Step II Trigger"/>
        <boozeBuff percentage="90" name="Arcane Consecration Step III Trigger"/>
        <triggeroncast percent="1" name="True Arcane Glory Trigger"/>
        </ability>
    True Arcane Glory is only a 1% chance. You may need to do that for a very long time to get the effect. But it stacks 100 times if my memory serves me.

*Edit* You are probably going to have to wait for Essence to come and reply to this. He wrote it and should be able to answer everything in perfect detail. It has changed quite a bit since I last looked at it though. So do not rely on my understanding of it.

13. Kaelik

Kaelik Member

Yes, I know. It's theoretically possible that the 600 times I've cast in a row while hiding in the room just hasn't triggered. But it's 600 times and it hasn't triggered even once. So I'm suggesting their might be a problem with the code. Or I'm just super super unlucky. I can't say for sure.

EDIT from above: If I am going to switch out the steam workshop version for the manual version, am I going to have to start all over?

Is there a way to mod the steam workshop version? It's just a .dat that doesn't show up as anything legible in notepad, and searching hasn't found any suggestions on how to expand, edit, and reclose it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I think it is likely modable, but I imagine Steam would think it was messed up and replace it instantly if it is running. I hate to be a jerk, but I think you will save yourself loads of time by not using Steam at all to launch or control the game and mods. Mods outside of Steam use simple, common zip archives. I bet if you renamed the Steam mod to end in .zip you could unzip it and edit it and rezip and then revert the name. But again I think Steam will nullify your changes instantly.

You can make a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\Dungeons of Dredmor.exe" and launch from that without problems. But I do not know if your mods and saves are handled the same way outside of Steam or not.
    (The above presumes you are using a x64 version of Windows.)

15. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I have the steam version and the exe still needs steam in order to run so the steam cloud will still do it's thing. I have been able to run the exe directly and I can still get achievements on steam. And yes, renaming the steam dat file to zip will allow you to get at the internal files. The only problem would be steam changing them on you. Of course, you could always copy the dat file to the mods directory and then rename it as a zip and change it however you want but you would need to load that file and not the steam version to use it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. mining

mining Member

This is so incredibly dumb.

OmniNegro and Lunix Vandal like this.
  17. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

Found the problem: True Arcane Glory is missing a " usetimer="0" " in its <buff> tag, so when it does trigger it doesn't even last long enough to show up in your active buff list. ;)
    Also, the documentation says TAG boosts :sagacity:+:stubborness:, but the primarybuffs listed in spellDB are :savvy:+:stubborness:. :confused:

I can also confirm that you can switch between the Workshop and manual-install versions of CES without breaking saves -- both ways and multiple times, even, as long as you remember to shuffle things in and out of the mods folder and subscriptions list so you only have one copy of the mod running.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  18. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Lunix, it is so weird seeing you here.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I love how you sound surprised and your taco image looks surprised. :D

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Kaelik

Kaelik Member

Yay, I was not crazy and there actually was a problem. And by pointing it out, I have helped fix something.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.