The Binding of Isaac

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by IanExMachina, Oct 3, 2011.

1. KamiKazeKenji

KamiKazeKenji Member

Sorry, spur of the moment.

Semi-semi-related: I already crashed. :p

2. Godwin

Godwin Member

Just reacting to something that peaked my interest:

Someone said: "I can't believe you can not feel offended if you see your wife being offended."
    First of all: To be offended is a choice. It can be unconscious choice or conscious choice but it's a choice. You can just not hear it, or think the slur is meant for someone else. Hence there is no automatic consequence of being told offensive stuff and being offended. Since there is a possibility to not be offended, you can choose to interpret stuff in a certain manner and not end up offended.
    So, your wife and you can easily not be offended through some slur (another example, a person suffering from mental illness calls you names. You usually won't be offended because you know the person can't help himself and it's not personal. So all you basically need to do is know it's not personal (it can't be, because there would have needed to be a lengthy dialogue first and a darn perfect understanding of each other before an insult can be truly personal).).

Second: If you're not offended when your wife is, that does not mean you're at a distance from your wife. I would certainly hope not! I would hope it stems from being a balanced, wise, sage, forgiving soul.
    You do not need to defend if you don't feel offended. There is no reason.

Third: I do think it's a bit weird when you're very wise (holy/enlightened) to be offended when someone else is. I can understand from a day-to-day life point of view, but ideally, you're not offended. Ideally you'll not take the other person's room and responsability to acknowledge the other person's opinion without that person starting to doubt their own opinion about themself. And that's it then.
    Since I try to be the best I can be I often just do what I think one shouls ideally do, what Jesus or Buddha would do, for example.

It's interesting when you discover that every time you actually are insulted that it correlates with a tiny or small part of yourself fearing exactly what you're insulted of, or thinking you are that but hiding it from yourself. Or even that in fact there's some truth somewhere in the insult.
    Example: An Olympic medal winner in swimming going for a casual swim and being scoffed by children for being bad at swimming style won't be offended. That'd just be a stupid waste of energy.
    However when you're mediocre at swimming and you'd like to be much better but you're not training as much as you'd ideally do, and then you get scoffed for being bad, then it's pretty easy to choose to feel offended.

3. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

Good analogy, Godwin. I'm not offended easily because I'm secure in myself and I know my wife and anyone who tries to offend us obviously doesn't know us... plus we both have thick skins from our respective youths. I say I feel detached because I've always been detached. I'm more attached to her than anyone else and yet I don't feel head-over-heels like so many other couples feel. We need each other on many different levels yet we never gave up anything to be with each other. Like I said, it's hard to explain but ours isn't the norm... hey, it can't be, we're not divorced or miserable. :p

4. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I've heard it said that no marriage is normal. There is a public front, and then there is that couple's private relationship. Judging a relationship from the outside is pointless, as most people want to represent the best points of anything they are involved in, not necessarily the truth.

You guys are right, by the way. I'm not meaning insults as in something silly, like "you're a poopy face." Insults face to face are one thing, and are not something I'd say to worry about. What I hate is when people gossip, or make accusations behind another's back. My dad is bad about assuming the worst in people, and voicing it. I prefer to assume the opposite, whether I am right or not.

In any case, I'm also probably attributing more to offend/insult than you (general sense, not specific). When I've stuck up for people, it's been when it seemed it might be physical, or was making everyone uncomfortable. For example, I was at the MCRD in San Diego for my brother's graduation from boot camp. A man was yelling at a woman, becoming red in the face, and approaching her, because her father took a cab that he said was his (it wasn't). I stepped up, and diffused the situation, probably mostly by being bigger than him (I'm about 6'4"). It's worthwhile to take a stand when it means something, but not when it's intangible.

5. Godwin

Godwin Member

Of course, above all else use your own judgement of the situation and act in the best way you know how. We shouldn't try to make rules on how to act anyway because we can't possibly cover all nuances and precise situations that can easily turn a bad reaction normally into a perfect one.
    Nice to share thoughts with you all :)

6. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

There! That's where we're weird! There IS no public face because we're both the kind of people who say what we mean and it's friggin' infuriating to those people who believe that everyone talks and acts with a subtext. With us, what you see it what you get. We also loathe people who gossip and talk behind others' backs and we go out of our way to let people know when they're getting talked about. Nothing will infuriate either of us more than someone talking about us behind our backs. It's gutless and cowardly.

Also, being a cripple my whole life in Sacramento, I absolutely hate people who patronize me. I have physical problems, not mental ones. I have threatened violence on people with extraordinarily big words when they have patronized me in the past (high school) and I still respond extremely defensively to this day. I've been around other people who have severe physical disabilities (I prefer the people born with it because they, by and large, have dealt with their problems) and I talk to them like normal human beings because, save their CP, blindness, etc. that's what they are.

If you ever see a cripple and want to help, talk naturally for god's sake. None of this "aw, would you like some help" bullcrap. A simple "hey man, lemme get the door for ya" will suffice. Even if you pity us on the inside, don't demean us both by showing it... and you poor souls who think you have to talk down to us... if I were a decade younger again...

7. Godwin

Godwin Member

Can understand your position, but seems to me you haven't entirely dealt with it all yet, which isn't bad, just means there's still stuff to do, as most of us still have things to totally accept. You're obviously not holy yet, but that's pretty common unfortunately (and neither am I of course).
    I agree totally with just treating others as equals, with respect.
    And I agree that when you have no agenda it's annoying when you get accused to have one, or that they say stuff about you instead of to you.
    I wouldn't let that infuriate me though. Better to accept it as the way it is, and invite them to change their ways.

For example, in fact, although you haven't named names, you have now gossiped about quite some anonymous people.

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Okay, totally missed this one happening.

This is all getting way off topic and vaguely into drama-land, though I appreciate people acting pretty respectful and rational. Should have nipped this one in the bud (if I wasn't busy working on the game so much!).

So: Let's keep this on-topic. Talk about the game and issues of the game.
    If there's a problem, I may delete all the off-topic posts or just close the whole thread, but let's just be cool, alright? We're all adults here, presumably, and can respect each other's differences.

Mod voice off.

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hey you guys, this forum isn't the place to debate religion (or politics) as it rarely ends up well. Either we go back to talking about just the game or I'll have to close it.

Edit: didn't see dbaum's post before me... yeah what he said, heh.

10. Chiko

Chiko Member

Lawl.

Anyways, I got the "real" ending a while ago. I like this game. It's a simple game but it has the ability to remain fun after playing it for lots of times. The replayability is strong in this one, which is something I love.

11. blob

blob Member

Agreed. Hoping for an expansion pack for this one too, though McMillen is probably busy with his next bigger project now.
    The last boss is really worth it, a true nice, big badass boss.

Im back on Terraria now though, the new update from a few weeks ago is insanely huge + ridiculously awesome. Redoing the whole game from scratch ! : )

12. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Actually, McMillen has promised a paid DLC on his twitter for next year, set to expand the game to about twice its current size. Length of each run is expected to stay the same, though.

13. blob

blob Member

Ooooh sexy. Funny that this was supposed to be a " tiny game to avoid getting bored during his break".

14. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

Well, when you make good games, even the piddly ones make bank, right?

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I understand where the offense comes from in The Binding of Isaac, but I lean more towards the idea that you shouldn't be offended by it unless there's some insecurity in you. Most reasonable Christian people I know aren't the extreme Mom character in the game, and lots of (liberal) priests agree that it's generally good to question and criticize one's faith-- especially the flaws of the institutions built up around it. There's many different kinds of Christianity, so I don't think this game is attacking ALL Christianity, just a very specific kind.

Personally, this game has meant a lot to me. I am a survivor of child abuse and child sexual abuse, and my mom was one of the key figures in that. It's been really therapeutic to play this game-- it's let me express a lot of frustration and anger in a safe space. It might sound terrible, but there is something really freeing about being able to destroy your mother in a fictional world. I am sure that other people out there feel the same way.

Godwin likes this.
  16. Daynab

SkyMuffin, not that your post was a bad one at all (it was a good post, and really, I admire you for...surviving.)

But I must ask that we not venture back in that debate of earlier in the thread. If we do I'll have to close it.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Ah, i'm sorry. I must have missed that.

How far has everyone gotten in Isaac? It took me 80 hours, but I got 100%. The no-damage achievements were a pain.

18. blob

blob Member

60 hours , 94%. Im not trying the golden boy, Im not that hardcore. Got all the no damage per floor though.
    Then Skyrim came.

19. Daynab

Not sure how many hours since I don't play it with steam on usually, but around 95% myself. I still have to finish the game with Eve and ??? but... ugh. Eve is such a terrible character.

By the way they added a new boss for xmas. Krampus! drops a lump of coal (which apparently damages more the farther from an enemy you are.)

20. blob

blob Member

Ah thanks for sharing, I saw there was an update but no news !