Talk about the Beta

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, May 14, 2011.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

In an attempt to encourage people to use the forums, let's open this one up for discussion.

People in the beta: tell us about your experiences with Dungeons of Dredmor!
    People not in the beta: ask questions, be jealous, plead for entry!

Go!

Exile likes this.
  2. silverpaw

silverpaw Member

I won't stoop so low as to ask for beta entry.. just the ability to purchase as soon as possible! Been following the blog for a very long time and everything looks very polished!

Cant wait! Great job!

3. KameZero

KameZero Member

Well I WILL stoop so low as to ask for beta entry. Assuming you still need any Linux testers :D

Also, to the lucky people who I am jealous of who DID get a beta:

Which of the "roles" (is that what they're called? Classes? The things you choose at the start) do you think is the most fun?

4. Lekon

Lekon Member

Archeology. Sure there are combat, magic, etc skills. But Archeology gives you a pair of starter artifacts (Very handy) And the ability to turn useless artifacts into experience, or to completely remake an artifact.

Extremely handy, basically makes it so there are no bad items to find in treasure boxes.

5. Nicholas

The starter artifacts are, actually, there for debug purposes only. :)

Exile likes this.
  6. skavenhorde

skavenhorde Member

Fleshsmithing and golemancy are the absolute best skills. You get healing right from the start (which helps a lot) with fleshsmithing and with the second skill level of golemancy you get a nice little sanguiblobby that loves you so much. You can summon walls and tear them down with golemancy as well. Those walls are a godsend when you get overwhelmed.

7. Lekon

Lekon Member

Drat, I liked the starterfacts. Ah well. I'll have to say fire! (Promethan Magic). Why?

http://i.imgur.com/0aEeJ.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/aRox0.jpg should say enough.

8. mcgrue

mcgrue Member Staff Member

At the moment the starter artifacts are the only thing that make Archeology worthwhile. The other skills in their current form are kinda boring-nerfed due to dev-fear. ;D

9. getter77

getter77 Member

I haven't had much time in it, but the music is rather awesome thus far alongside all else at a glance. Character generation seems interesting---is it possible to "save" points to focus moreso early on versus a Tyro Of All Trades situation?

10. skavenhorde

skavenhorde Member

@mcgrue I disagree about Archeology. Actually I think that skill is too powerful. I haven't tested it out too much, but I leveled up at amazing speeds by sending my useless magic items to the museum. The skill that changes the items properties is good. It's not overpowered or underpowered, it just changes what it already has to something more useful (if you're lucky).

The way that Archeology is too dang powerful doesn't really have to do with the skills (although "send to the museum" is overpowered, imo of course), but its the stat that lets you disarm traps that needs to be nerfed. I could almost always pick up all of the traps off the floor and reuse them which would make the tinker skill obsolete. Who wants to make the traps when you have a ton of them you have picked up off the ground?

This might change the lower you go into the dungeon, but for level 1 and 2 no trap was safe from me. I had dozens of them. Shortly after I went to level 2 there was a new build so I restarted with a new character and chose my favorite mage skills again.

You should also note that the artifacts that you are given for the Archeology skill are for testing purposes only. I believe they will be left out of the final version.

@Lekon I stayed away from the Pyro skill. It's too "normal" I went with the more summony type of skills. Going to try out Necronomicon next. That skill kicked my butt on my very first play of DD. It was so funny here I was thinking how cool it was to see a diggler get hexed and then the spells "price" kicked in and killed me in three turns :D Didn't see that one coming.

Now that I have a little more experience with how damage works (love all the different forms of it) I'm going to see if I can become a master Cthulhu Necro Killing machine.

11. Lekon

Lekon Member

Fire may seem "Normal" compared to the other magics but then again, some folk want neat spells, some of us just want to watch the dungeon burn.

12. Nicholas

We actually have "flammable" oil in the engine for Dredmor; it's just not exposed to the game yet because it tends to be a bit overpowered (any oily thing next to a tile that is on fire... catches on fire.) Gotta get that one back in for shipping...

Exile likes this.
  13. Hunter42

Hunter42 Member

Hi,

just two questions :)
    1. When exactly is the release date ?
    2. How can I join the beta ??? Have some time this weekend and could help (programming myself).

Michael
    (from Germany)

14. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

I am very interested in joining the beta! I cannot wait to get my hands on this!

15. Misterstone

Misterstone Member

Everything I see about this game featurewise sounds awesome. One thing that concerns me though is the question of permadeath. Will we have an option to play with permadeath? I think I need it to truly enjoy this kind of game. :)

16. skavenhorde

skavenhorde Member

I played with permadeath for the first 30 or 40 attempts. I just made a new character every time I died ;)

I don't know if it will officially be in the game.

17. KameZero

KameZero Member

The harder difficulties will in fact have permadeath enabled I believe. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

18. Juntei

Juntei Member

This is where I plead for entry into the beta! PLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE let me in! :)

19. patrick

patrick Member

can i plaese join beta it lookes so fun and much stuff plaese let me please PLEASE
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    join the beta

20. Plucky

Plucky Member

Question for all those Beta Testers out there. How much do you like the enemies and if you don't, would you want to create a plushie of said enemy and continually punch it to death?