Talents

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Warlock, Jul 30, 2012.

1. shaken

shaken Member

As a programmer myself, I can confirm that that is not always the case. I used to be very good at math, but didn't use much of it for a year or so and I guess I lost my edge. Also I don't know any foreign languages. Never really tried to learn one though.

EDIT: I guess I should say that I am very good at Algebra and some Calculus, but like Null, Trig is what I've lost my edge in.

2. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Id say its fairly reasonable to assume most programmers have decent skills with maths and languages as programming languages are basically maths based languages and it would definatly help to have a brain that works well with that format.

A slight difference for me being a programmer is I'm actually good at Algebra and Trig, not so much calculus. I'm fairly good at picking up languages too. So for a very small test group so far the theory is some-what solid.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I think, to be good at programming in generfal, you have to have an intuitive feel for logic moreso than math (Except for some types of programming -- I did a lot of actuarial programming early in my career, for a consulting firm. The company I worked for actually wanted me to train as an actuary, since apparently, I had better math skills than most of the actuaries working there. But I said no mostly because I didn't want to become an actuary, but also because the owner of the actuarial part of the company was one of the biggest bullies/P.I.A.s/immoral racist crooks I've ever encountered my approximately 30 years of work.

shaken likes this.