Tablet recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by LionsDen, May 4, 2014.

1. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

My Dad id going to be buying a tablet and I would like some recommendations. It needs to be around a 10 inch screen (around 25.5 centimeters for non-americans) and have some form of memory expansion like sd cards or micro sd cards. It needs to cost $300 or less and would prefer a multi-core CPU.

Recommendations about particular brands are ok as I have only seen and touched a couple of different small tablets. Think phone sized one mostly. I have been looking around myself but would like to hear everyone else's opinions. Thanks for your help. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399225940&sr=1-2

The newer model is just slightly outside of your price range, but that's your choice:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10-Inch-White/dp/B00JKCH552/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

It's one generation removed from the one I'm recommending for my niece. Honestly, I own an IPad (which I like), but is far too heavy, and will not fall into your price range. But it's held up well over the years. This one I'm mostly recommending because of a lot of positive reviews and ratings, and I'm happy with the Samsung Galaxy smartphone that I do own. But I'll admit that I haven't actually played with their tablets.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is an excellent piece of hardware...both of my parents have the 10 inch, and my grandfather-in-law has the 7 inch variety. I can heartily recommend them both.

Slightly more expensive are the Google Nexus, 7 and 10 inch, but they are also extremely nice. The Galaxies tend to have more deals on them though.

And if cost is ever a factor, I never recommend Apple ;)

4. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Yeah, but apple doesn't allow micro SD cards for expandability. Also apple is VERY locked down. Apple is a VERY control freak company, I like to do my own things and voiding the warranty on it to do what I want just isn't worth it to me.

Xyvik and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The more proprietorial the hardware and software, the less I will be able to tolerate it. And everything ever made by Apple/Mac/whatever they choose to be called today is locked down tighter than a pun I will not finish due to forum rules. (You are welcome.)

If you want me to want to buy and use your hardware, you have to let me decide how to use it, even if it is a very bad idea. (Like most overclocking.) Understand that I do not overclock anything, but telling me I cannot makes me look for your competitors since I would rather give them my money and be free of such limitations.

A great number of companies are forever blacklisted by myself due to shady practices. A great example is the "E-Machine" junk that happened almost a decade ago. They sold very cheap PCs. But they used crappy power supplies that burned out. And if you bought the replacement from anyone but them, it would catch on fire and destroy the whole system since they intentionally rewired the power cable on the PSU and the motherboard to have the polarity reversed on a few pins.

Dell is also forevermore on my ever growing blacklist for similar tactics. They seem to have learned from it though, and I hear that despite being overpriced, they no longer make garbage that cannot be repaired outside of a Dell repair place.

Xyvik likes this.
  6. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Not going to have much luck with a tablet and smartphone then. These are engineered to such small tolerances that you're going to have extreme trouble finding standard, easily replacable parts for them, or hacking too much with them at the low level. If you head away from the tightly controlled, integrated, impossible to fix model, you sacrifice battery life, the ability to run cool, and compactness. This isn't so much because companies are evil but because at these small scales it's the only sound approach.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yeah. That is one of the major reasons besides a lack of money that I have never owned a tablet/mobile phone.

Hell, the closest I ever came to having a mobile device of any sort was last year when I pondered buying a Raspberry Pi and running it off AA batteries. But I would still have no screen or input devices, so I gave up on that.

Xyvik likes this.
  8. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

I got my tablet because somebody bought it for me as a gift. I personally would not go out and buy one on my own, but now that I have one, it's quite handy for a select amount of things I use it for. I will admit it's quite nice to have when travelling, because I've got about twenty books, ten movies, a ton of music and some games crammed into it. But outside of that, not much use for it.

I'm like you, OmniaNigrum. I like to tweak, crack, hack, splinter and void anything I buy. My PC is currently running on duct tape and spit and anytime anything updates it's a coin flip whether the whole card house will come crashing down. But everything's exactly where I want it and my keyboard shortcuts are utterly Ninja.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I use my kindle for books, because it's much easier to read on than a tablet or PC (not just the weight of my old IPad, but also it causes eyestrain if I use it for too long). I don't recommend using an e-reader for graphic novels or anything similar, though. It does work for that, but it can be disorienting since if you have a full page on the screen, it's unreadable, so it has this mechanism for going section by section or frame by frame, which DOES work, but doesn't feel right. One positive aspect of that is that it's programmed to go in the INTENTIONAL flow of the text and graphics, rather than left to right, left to right. It's with the page-sized graphics with lots of text that doesn't feel right.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I'm pretty sure that's written as intended; I take it to mean that ereaders will blow up each consecutive frame of a comic book in reading order, rather than left-to-right, repeatedly.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Ah. That does make sense. If that is the case, please disregard my post above Haldurson. Next time you post here if you make no mention of it or say this is what you mean, I will edit out that post altogether.

Thank you Alephred.

Xyvik likes this.
  12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Graphic novels sometimes get pretty creative and non-intuitive as to what order you are supposed to read the text in. Oftentimes, there aren't even any frames. That leaves the reader having to use varying logic to figure out what order you are supposed to read the text in. In other words, it's not always consistent.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Yeah, I always find that a major hassle. Please leave the text boxes in their proper order (i.e. the normal directions) because I hate it when I read things out of order. It breaks the suspension of disbelief and suddenly I'm out of the comic and back into reality. I do know that Japanese Manga is backwards to our own format but I have been reading Manga for decades so I have also gotten used to their format. It's the figuring out in a graphic novel that I shouldn't have read the speech bubble to the right next, I should have read the one below first that kicks me out because suddenly the story didn't make sense anymore. That said, I do still finish the graphic novel but I don't find it as enjoyable as it could have been.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

One think I really like using my tablet (Nexus 7) for over my e-reader (Kobo Aura HD) is for reading .pdfs of roleplaying game sourcebooks. I have a big archive of D&D, Paranoia, and Numerera .pdfs, and trying to read them on my black-and-gray e-reader is terrible, mostly because of my Kobo's refresh rate and scrolling speed.

15. Jacq

Jacq Member

I was gonna say that nothing beats a Cintiq 24HD, read the budget, and then realized you meant the other kind of tablet. :/

I dig my Sony Reader, but as stated it's not great for graphic novels. To be honest I don't kind my ipad any better for reading them. I love ebooks, but I like my comics to have more heft and physical presence, I think.

I'm so glad I bought the ipad mini with the express understanding that I would only use it for games and messing around. It's a toy, and pretty much rubbish at anything useful. A netbook is cheaper than most tablets and has more functionality, hands down. But if you want a toy to play games/read comics on? I think they're pretty much created equal, but apple generally has better apps. an app on itunes makes more money than the same app on android, and android's harder to develop for, so more people develop for ios exclusively (or first), which makes more people make games for ios, which makes devs more money on itunes than android, and the feedback loop continues.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

That was what I was thinking before I bought my tablet, I'd rather get a netbook.

Turns out, netbooks aren't sold anymore. Just add a few features, rebrand it as a tablet, and you can charge more. It's not so much an either or choice but that "netbooks" are now "tablets" because tablets sell for more.