ALPHA 50B T goes to Infinity (about max-ing colonies again)

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alavaria, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Biggest changes from before are: now we can rely on the Novorus trader. And the new Cook Refined Food recipe.

Usual long-run estimates (because I'm still not seeing a very compelling reason to go past 50 people). But anyway things are very easy now.

Out of 24 overseers, we have:
    • 1: "basic_cookable**" food farm (5 people)
    • 1: "basic_brewable**" food farm (2 people)
    • 1: Kitchen (3 people)
      ** Specfically, you need access to something "basic_cookable" and something that can be turned into "booze" (the distilled spirits count). Maize can do both these, then you might only need 1 farmer
    • 1: Green Bamboo*** farm (5 people)
      *** Not possible in locations like Tundra
    • 1: Carpentry Workshop (1 person)
    • 1: Ceramics Workshop (1 person)
    • 1: Mines (1 or 2 people)
    • 1: Foreign Offices (4 people)
    • 2: Barracks
    10 total potentially as few as 8
    You're looking at 17 colonists working to maintain 100 people. So, uh... you could presumably have 50+ military.. (still need a bunch of the rest to do hauling)

You don't need to staff your lab, metalworks, barber, chemistry, naturalist consistently. This is skipping the chapel and public house.

In general, important maintenance concerns are:

100 food per day:
    • 12.5 Cook Refined Food daily, so:
    • 12.5 basic_cookable per day
    • 4.2 basic_brewable per day (ideally)
    • and mostly repairing 0.42 ovens per day.

100 sleeping per day:
    • 3.33 planks per day
    • 1.7 logs/bamboo per day

You can use iron ovens, but I recommend just staying with iron. It's also possible to buy enough logs even without having a bamboo farm.

This all hinges on the mines+workshop combo. The average non-specialized mine gives you:
    • 1/3 coal - value 60
    • 1/3 clay - convert to bricks - value 180
    • 1/3 sand - convert to glass bottles - value 960
    Logs (40) and raw stone (50) are very cheap to purchase, one only needs to keep summoning the Novorus special trader every time they leave if you want to make a solid buffer of raws. Farming your bandits for a massive arsenal of Jazeil rifles is a great idea. You can now fight off an invasion of 20+ guys as your 60+ people might be able to kill them all with a shot from each rifle.

=====

Starting

In general, you need a "decent" amount of logs and stone (and nearby forage/hunting) to build a colony, you can get around nearly everything else.

The desert, for example, frequently has stone but not the logs and nearby food, making a Dauntless Dare quite troublesome (you're perfectly fine with the military loadout nearly everywhere).

Growing/Developing

Do you need many people to get to a stable state? No, about 30-40 people will let you build up your houses, get all the overseers, make your buffer, get tech and build all your stuff...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Some graphs

[​IMG]

For this colony I did not try to max out my production values, precisely because I wanted to try keeping population low. Getting beds for everyone is an issue when you lack enough wood. Well, and feeding people...

I had enough to spare for a good sized military (2 full squads) so no worries there.

[​IMG]

Close to the "base" level of production.
    • Planks were being used for various things, slowly getting logs from Novorus special trader for most of this. Notably the bamboo production was buggy (probably just an issue with the game's patches), otherwise it could be easier
    • Had some clay lying about for a while after I stopped working the mines, mostly being used to build the walls (Middle-Class Houses)
    • Sand all converted into glass panes, I had a stack of those and the ceramics made new glass bottles whenever I used a few
    • No lacquered planks were being made after a small initial batch

[​IMG]

You see the general ratio of raw material into tier 1 goods

More importantly the tier 2 goods which are (not entirely sure here) a good number of Wooden Loading Doors as well as items looted from bandit tents.

Food production really takes off as I unlock the Refined Food recipe, but then I sharply cut back as I don't need 400+ food with only like 40 colonists.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Samut likes this.