Stole from Brax by placing other item on stolen item's spot

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by snakebite36, Jul 28, 2011.

1. snakebite36

snakebite36 Member

I was somehow able to steal a 62,000 zorkmid, 10 star "Clockwork Bolt-thrower" from Brax. I was on level 2 and didn't have enough money to buy it. When I picked it up and equipped it he blocked the door, but when I placed a different item on it's spot he moved back to his normal spot. I haven't been able to do it again with a different item though.

2. Ratha

Ratha Member

Did you save, load, or quit the game at any point during this process?

3. snakebite36

snakebite36 Member

No I didn't. The different actions I did in the shop were pick up an item, equip it, try to shoot Brax with an arrow, pick up another item and put it on the first item's spot.

4. Ratha

Ratha Member

I have a save just outside of Brax's shop on my test character on level 1, i will see if i can duplicate the problem there. Except that if i -try- to shoot Brax, i -will- hit him. Did you hit something instead of him when you shot your arrow?

EDIT: I guess if you try to shoot Brax, it asks if you want to sell him some arrows instead. Wonder if this is a bug.

5. snakebite36

snakebite36 Member

When I tried to shoot him he asked me if I wanted to sell the arrows (even though I was on the other side of one of the big shops), but I didn't sell them. I may have moved around several items onto the stolen items spot, but I'm not sure.

6. Ratha

Ratha Member

I reproduced your bug. It has to do with equipping a crossbow. Apparently crossbows are not counted as stolen items when equipped.

Steps to reproduce: Enter the shop. Pick up crossbow, equip crossbow. Pick up a different item on a pedestal, put same item back on same pedestal. Brax then gets out of your way and allows you to walk out.

7. snakebite36

snakebite36 Member

Thanks for figuring out how to reproduce it. I was trying so many times to reproduce it but couldn't. I remember trying with another crossbow but I guess I did something wrong that time.

8. Desi

Desi Member

Related to theft, I stole a full plate armor by crafting a Serpentine armor with it inside the shop.

9. satoru

satoru Member

@Desi If that works, could you "The Translation is All Wrong" on an item and have it come back 'clean' so to speak? oh wait that only works on relics right?

10. Gbps

Gbps Member

The way to fix all of this is just to make the player unable to pick up items in a shop

11. Ratha

Ratha Member

@snakebite36 - Sure thing, glad i could help figure out the issue. Figuring out how to reproduce bugs is kindof like a puzzle meta game, and i enjoy puzzles.. and helping the Dev team troubleshoot issues is fairly rewarding too. I know if i was a developer, writing code, and someone came along and not only bought my software, but offered to troubleshoot it for free, that id be pretty ecstatic! :p

Considering how large of an exploit it could lead to, im happy to have found it so it can be fixed.

12. snakebite36

snakebite36 Member

Yeah it was fun discovering the bug and trying to reproduce it. I realize now that the reason I couldn't reproduce it was because it never crossed my mind to unequip the amazing 10 star crossbow I got and replace it with a worse crossbow.

13. Desi

Desi Member

@satoru I'm unsure. It might work, seeing as you're changing the item's name and properties when you do it. Drek does sell artifacts sometimes I think (they're mostly kind of crappy though).