Steam Winter Sale

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Loerwyn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I bought Two Worlds 2 and the expansion. Not bad for only $10.

I am now looking at Binary Domain and wondering if it is like Earth Defense Force 2017 except not exclusively Japanese and perhaps actually stable. (That was a great game. Too bad it was grind-age and clichés all around. Oh and the crashing every few minutes.)

No racism involved, but what is with Japanese people thinking that if there was a threat to the planet that the other 99.99% of the Earth would rally behind an island with less than 1% of the land mass and population of the Earth as the last defense? Have pride in what you accomplish, but I thought Japanese people were known for above average mathematical skill.

Back to the topic. Anyone play Binary Domain yet? Is it any good?

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

By the way. DoD Complete is $2.49 at the moment. I am buying several more copies.

Aegho likes this.
  3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

They Bleed Pixels just went on the 12hr deal. Hm.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

How about Dawn of War? They have the Dawn of War Franchise Pack on sale for $10 at the moment. There are
    Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Game of the Year Edition, Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade, Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn Of War® – Winter Assault, Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm, Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II, Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® II Chaos Rising, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution Chaos Space Marines Race Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution Eldar Race Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution Imperial Guard Race Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution Space Marines Race Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution Ork Race Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution Tyranid Race Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution, Dawn of War II: Retribution – The Last Standalone, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Captain Wargear DLC , Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Farseer Wargear DLC , Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Mekboy Wargear DLC, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Lord General Wargear DLC, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Chaos Sorcerer Wargear DLC, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Hive Tyrant Wargear DLC, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Ultramarines Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Word Bearers Skin Pack , Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Death Korps of Krieg Skin Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Last Stand Tau Commander, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution: Dark Angels Pack, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution - Ulthwe Wargear DLC

I already have DoW1 and the Space Marine expansion pack, but this appears to have every last item they ever made. I still have not tried the first one. (I use an SSD and thus have limited space for games.)

I know it is strategy, but in general I hate strategy. What do you guys think? Is this worthwhile or not?

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

DoW2 is more of a squad-based RTS than the trad-strat of DoW. Base building etc. is relegated to one of the multiplayer modes, the other is a survival mode called Last Stand. As for the campaigns, DoW2+Chaos Rising work in tandem. Chaos Rising works as DLC if you own DoW2 (otherwise it stands alone), Retribution, however, is standalone and the campaign is for all six races (you choose which race to play as), though it follows on from Chaos Rising. As for DRM, DoW2+CR is GfWL+Steamworks, DoW2:R is just Steamworks.

And I don't know what you mean about a Space Marine expansion pack for DoW. There's no such thing. Winter Assault added Imp. Guard, Dark Crusade added Necrons & Tau, Soulstorm added Sisters of Battle (I can't remember if they added another).

Edit: So I missed out on Dead Island, not too upset about that, but I did pick up They Bleed Pixels Collector's Edition whilst it was £2.24 or so.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Aegho

Aegho Member

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Probably not worth it, especially as it's just the first two games - you'll spend a LOT more than that on ME2 DLC, then there's ME3 and its DLC to consider.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

... which was developed by Relic (same team behind Dawn of War), uses the same license (Warhammer 40,000) but is completely different in almost every other respect.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

KotOR1+2 just went on 12hr. £1.75 each, roughly, or about $3 if my memory is correct. For KotOR1 that's nothing new, but for most people a cheap second copy of KotOR2 (which comes on about 5CDs) might be worth getting, though I don't know how compatible it would be with the restoration mod due to Steam, etc. I would actually say that's even quite tempting.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Didn't play the first two.

Third one has the Arena for XP grinding that unlocks after like 3 storyline stages or so. If the storyline is too hard up to that point, you can change difficulty mid-game in the options menu.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Then I must not have given it enough of a chance. Oh well. I have way too many games as it is. I would need years to play what I have right now.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just bought MTG DotPW 2012 only to learn there is an original 2011 version and a 2013 version too. Oh well. I will not be able to afford all of them. (I also bought the optional full unlock so I do not have to grind to get all the stuff available. My total expense for the game and unlocks was $7.50 or so.)

I did the math and to get the same for the original would cost the same as the 2012 version. The 2013 however would cost $25 or so for everything, and these prices are counting the 75% off deal they have going.

What a rip-off. WotC may have some really good games, but they also have some royal jokes. I have no idea if I will even like this. But I am going to find out.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

DotP is something you need to be a year behind on if you play on a budget. The DLC is largely split between Unlocks and Foil, so if you only want the Unlocks (you only want the Unlocks), it's half as much as it appears. But yeah. They release a Gold edition about the same time as the next version, so waiting for that can't hurt.

Sims 3 is on daily. SO TEMPTING. Argh. No. Nooooooo.

Noooo.

mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  15. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I've never had the urge to play Sims games. Never. Ever.

Also, happy 999 comments.

mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Thank Yo- Oh, 1000.

I have The Sims 2. I made myself. I was too thin, though. I want The Sims 3 but it'd be way too frigging expensive to get everything. But now they're bringing out a 70s/80s/90s stuff pack too. Arse.

I'm resisting, but I won't deny the temptation is there.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Sims 3 is on the long list of games that I bought, played once, then set aside to never look at again. It just didn't feel like I was having fun. Even Chilis offered to replace both my, and my mom's meal when we didn't like what they had served (was the very first and last time I ever went into a Chilis). But it's accepted practice to disallow refunds on a video game. That's just wrong.

BTW, since when does making pasta 'cajun style' mean dumping enough pepper on it so that you can't taste anything else? But then again, I've seen so-called 'New York Pizza' when I lived elsewhere, so nothing surprises me.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I think it's because the logistics of such a system would be absolutely ridiculously complex. I mean when do you cut it off? 1 day, 2 days, Xhrs of play time, X% of playtime? On top of that, what about if it's a case of PEBKAC? I don't think it's fair that a company - even a shitfest like Activision - should have to lose money over someone else's problems.

Steam is terrible for refunds. GamersGate is better.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I was born in Baton Rogue Louisiana. (I grew up in Texas though.)

Cajun Style means whatever you want it to mean. And is very different to different people. I tend to think that dumping boatloads of Cayenne Pepper matches most examples of Cajun Cuisine I have tried. But there is more to it than that in reality.

To be frank, most Coon-Asses use damned nearly anything and everything in their recipes. I would not be one bit surprised to hear that a Cajun restaurant was using stray cat, dog and even squirrel meat in their recipes. And knowing some people from that area, I can tell you first hand that there is exactly nothing they will not eat if they can drown it in whatever substance they think is right for it.

I love spicy foods, but I have enough sense to stick with mild heat.

When you expect to eat alligator meat after someone kills one that was in the local sewer, you will be happy it was drowned in hot stuff and salt since it kills off most organisms that could harm you.

Kazeto and Turbo164 like this.
  20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I loved just about everything I had when I was in New Orleans (before Katrina) -- the food was great, even eating at small hole in the walls (in New York, those are often the best places to eat). It was (maybe still is) one of the vanishing places in the country where independently owned, non-franchise stores and restaurants still thrived.

OmniaNigrum likes this.