Steam Community Market

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Alistaire, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Thoughts on it?

----

I'll tell you mine:

- It's the best way to earn some Steam wallet money.
    - The prices are very flexible, it's all about expectations.
    - The TF2 crates are sorted in a way too random way.
    - Valve is the only party profiting from it, since; people have to pay for their Steam wallet, they pay 10% of the transaction to Valve, therefore both parties in the transaction "lose" 10% of it, and that 10% becomes nil and void in Gaben's wallet. If one of the parties wants to buy something, they have 10% of their transaction less to spend, so they have to pay Valve for more Steam wallet..

Also, I just "made" 70 cents by leaving my computer on for 2 hours. Naughty Winter crates. Yes, thanks Valve.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have never even heard of this. This looks like something utterly doomed to be closed and never spoken of again by Valve.

There are already millions of items there, and as time goes on those prices will fluctuate until governments start noticing it is a market and must be taxed. Then at that moment it will die.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I just checked it out (hadn't heard of it before). Well turns out it's simply about DOTA and TF, and I don't play those games. How do people get those items that are being sold? Never heard of any of them.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  4. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

If you idle in those games, you get item drops, and you can sell the common crate drops for 1 cent. If you get something more interesting you could sell it for maybe 50 cents, 1 euro.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OK, you've just left me speechless.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, it was added to TF so that there would be more people online (because players seem to want random drops), and as we know, if people see there are more people "playing" the game, they are more likely to play it too.

As a way of making potential players try out the game, it's not a bad choice, actually. Even if it makes you go "what the heck".

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I have an idea... you want people to play your game? Why not incentivize actually playing your game then?

I like how you put "playing" in quotes lol

SkyMuffin, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Kids across the world will gladly "troll" TF2 to get their precious few cents per hour worth of junk that no-one would buy because everyone has that stuff.

If Valve wants this scam to work and not be a monster they have to slay and bury, they need more games and more items. Make loads of junk that *CANNOT* be bought or sold. And the only way to get them is to actually play.

If you can sit around and get pawned over and over and eventually get the stuff, they effectively destroyed the game for the people who actually care to play it.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

People who care to play it like the market aswell. You can get keys and whatnot at a lower price than you would at the Gaben Bazaar of Broken Dreams.

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

:D

11. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

the whole internet merchant gig feels kinda pointless to me.

i rather just get an actual job instead of idling in online games and stalking people's steam inventories to harrass them to "trade" them to me for 10x less than its actual cost.

we all know people dont actually play TF2 as a competitive red vs blue team game,but more of a shiny hat trade simulator.

i still like the valve's idea,i can finally do something with my useless crates and chests,maybe gather enough pennies to buy myself a Fortix 1.

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

To be fair, I know some people have gotten good income doing it, just like some people had for trading diablo items.

If you can do it, more power to you.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, for the most part it's about getting lucky and knowing when to sell.

Sort of like the stock market, only instead of seeing stock names, prices, and prospects, you see "crossbow of shininess +2" or "hat of whateverishness" and have to know what price is good and what price is not.

OmniaNigrum likes this.