Steam Autumn Sale

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Nov 24, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

2. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

Grimrock looks so tempting but it would suck if i bought it and it came out on some $1 humble bundle a few weeks later.

the whole thanksgiving sale feels like a cruel joke,all of these great offers come right during college finals when i will literally have 0 hours to game studying for exams and turning in final projects =(

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Loren

Loren Member

Think of it as a highly anticipated reward for hard work.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Aegho

Aegho Member

Well... got my wish, Witcher 2 75% off! Also Castle Crashers 66% off, and I'm grabbing Torchlight 2 50% off...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Legend of Grimrock is only $3.74 right now. I think it is well worth the price. And if they ever get the level editor up and release it, there will be boatloads of new levels to play.

*Edit* I just checked back and see that Alistaire already said this... Oh well. :(

Kazeto likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Kazeto and Daynab like this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

New sales. (Or just new prices.)
    The Binding of Isaac. $1.24
    The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb. (DLC) $0.74
    Civilization 5 GOTY is now only $12.49.
    Civilization 4: The Complete Edition. $7.49
    Just Cause 2. $3.74

*Edit* I wish I had the money to buy Just Cause 2. But I do not. In the future I may well get another chance. Remember how often Steam and other groups have sales. There is almost always another equally good chance if you are patient.

Am I the only person here that never played *Any* of the Civilization games? I put the links there because 75% off sounds good, but I do not really care enough to buy nor play them even if I had the cash.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Aegho

Aegho Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

Civ 4 complete is an incredible deal,i got it in the summer sales and cant stop playing it.

i was skeptical that it would be able to beat my nostalgia from playing Civ 2/3 but now i see its the best version of Civ to date!

cant comment on Civ 5 because its too beefy for my PC to handle and its still flooding with shameless DLC for things that apparently were in earlier games already,but the fact that a slow paced TBS game can manage to be the #7 most played game on steam is amazing considering we are in the CoD generation.

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Civ 4 is better than Civ 5 in most ways (IMO) except for graphics and the hex-based tiles.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Godwin

Godwin Member

@Daynab: Agreed. Well... I liked the size of the squares in civ4 better, the hexagons are just to darn big in 5.

Enjoy! I throroughly enjoyed it! (without gamepad, hardly any issue at all) (yeah from page 1)

----

I skipped pages 2 and 3 so if you have awesome posts there, whoever you are: sorry!

I bought Endless Space Emperor edition for 14 euros and Puzzle Kingdoms for 1,37 and Air Conflicts:Secret Wars for 5

:) pretty happy ^^

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Civ 5 is a good game, it certainly is the prettiest Civ to date, and has some positive aspects to it. Plus there have been numerous mods and patches to improve it from where it was at release. I've been playing it a lot more lately since the latest patch. I also use a small handful of mods (mostly to add maps and map scripts, plus a few tweaks, and the unofficial patch, which adds a lot of handy info to the UI to be more easily at your fingertips. (it's not a cheat in that it gives you info that you have, just makes it easier to get to). But there are lots of different mods available for it, some of which change the game more completely. The Steam Achievements haven't worked for a few weeks now, for me, but that's a minor complaint, to say the least.

The majority/general consensus is that Civ 4 is better overall, though, and may be the best Civ to date. Civ 3, imho, is the worst of them. But if you like 4X games, all of them are worth checking out.

BTW, a really great board game (if you have 6 friends and a lot of time to kill) is Avalon Hill's "Civilization" and even better, "Advanced Civilization". Ironically, Civilization is the board game that is credited to be AH's downfall, due to a lawsuit that AH filed against Microprose over "Sid Meier's Civilization". Here's a summary of what happened: http://www.gis.net/~pldr/fah.html. The board games are very different from Sid Meier's computer games (and the board game that was based on it). I won't say that it's a better game, but it's a great social game, where combat is less of a deciding factor than trading and making deals. In fact, it's often beneficial to have some of your units die in combat, so you'll see people skirmishing in the game simply to lose units on purpose, in order to plan for various natural disasters (floods, plagues, earthquakes, etc.).

The game is designed and balanced for 7 players, though with as few as 5 players, the game can be decent.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

CoD. Yuck. I could make entire threads of my loathing for those awful psuedo-games. That some people actually enjoy them is something I simply cannot understand. They are not good shooters, much less accurate shooters. In fact, I cannot think of one singular thing they do well besides encouraging infantile children to buy loads of political propaganda and join a military service.

Best not to discuss them at all.

But back to the topic, can someone tell me what they actually like about the Civilization games? They were not made by Valve, so they do not have a massive hat collection. :) The most similar games I have played are probably the Master of Orion series, but that seems way off from the genre.

*Edit* Ninja'ed by Haldurson. It seems he telepathically knew I was going to ask. :)

14. Godwin

Godwin Member

Played them a few times. They're... epic. You really have to be in the mood for them hehehe.

I don't like the civ (pc) games that much to be honest (probably spoiled with Age of Wonders), but 4 seems best so far (I can compare 3,4 and 5, having played 4 and 5 and seen 3 being played quite a bit).

15. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Oh yeah, they are certainly epic. Playing a game of Advanced Civ is certainly a big commitment, so yes, you are right. But you also need the right type of crowd. The game is best with friends, who know the game well enough to not waste too much time on a turn, and who aren't going to get too upset when turned down for a trade request, and so on. In other words, you want people who are committed to having fun, who are somewhat serious gamers, but not too serious that they take the ups and downs of the game too much to heart, or hold grudges. I have a couple of stories about two games of AC, the first of which turned me against it (briefly) because one of my friends took the game too seriously, while another caused the game to drag on and on and on forever because he couldn't make a decision to save his life (I know, we should have had a timer). I eventually came back to the game for a convention, and I ended up in a game with 5 reasonable players and one psychopath who decided to hold a grudge the entire game because I wouldn't trade with him twice in a row. My mistake was thinking that he'd be reasonable and take my honesty about why it wasn't in my best interests to trade each time as not being anything personal. (Note to self, never resort to reason when dealing with a madman). The 5 players who were the beneficiaries of his madness were even dumfounded by his childish behavior. He actually destroyed his own position in the game by going after me whole-heartedly. He hurt himself more than he did me, especially when the other players realized how nuts he was. But it really turned me off on the game.

That was the last time I played. I still maintain that it's a great game. Unfortunately, the wrong kinds of players can spoil it. In a short game, I'm generally more tolerant. But no one wants to sit next to a crazy person badmouthing you for 6 hours.

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Civ IV looks like a Paradox game, and it plays like a Paradox game. Civ V looks and plays like a big-budget strategy game.

Civ V is my favourite. Most of the DLC isn't needed, either. I really only have Spain + Incas (Double Pack) and Gods & Kings.