SpellBlade Development Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RaustBlackDragon, Dec 30, 2011.

1. UPDATE: I have put this project on hold, perhaps permanently, due to a similar skill set already existing. I have another project in mind now.

I've decided: I'm going to create my own DoD mod. I thought I'd start this thread to discuss balance issues and other development topics for it.

This mod will add a new warrior skill tree to the game: SpellBladery. It revolves around magic channeled through weaponry and armor. This skill tree will grant you ludicrous amounts of magic power, but simultaneously cripple your maximum MP and mana regeneration rate to the extent that you simply won't be casting any actual spells with this tree.

...So what's the point of the magic power? Simple: it improves the various procs like bleeding out and Et Tu, makes elemental-proc-imbued weaponry much more useful, and generally lets you take advantage of non-wizard skills that rely on magic power.

The exact stat bonuses are TBD, but the end result I'm after is essentially this: 3 or 4 wizard trees worth of magic power, absolutely horrible mana regeneration, and a guaranteed maximum of 1 MP.

Some abilities the tree will grant include (list subject to change):

*protection from being smote by Krong (most likely this will mean getting no enchantment rather than a bad one)

Any feedback on the current plan?

Also, please note that I am highly open to change on most of the aspects of this skill tree. If I've made some oversight in my current plan, please inform me of it and suggest an alternative if you have one.

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Might want to download and play around a bit with Essential DoD Skills I -- QiGong does exactly this (+1 Magic Power per level, destroys mana and mana regen), so it might give you a better idea of how you want to balance SpellBladery.

Unfortunately, I'm 100% certain there's no way to code in 'Protection from Krong' given the current XML options. I tried my best, it's just not there. Sorry. :(

3. Oh, your mod already does this?

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. If it's similar to what I have in mind, I think I'll drop this in favor of my other idea... :)