spell pseudo-sound effects

Discussion in 'Modding' started by codebracker, Sep 1, 2012.

1. codebracker

codebracker Member

I was wondering, you know like text appears over enemy heads when they use certain spells (like blinking battys say "blink!"), is it possible to add that to you'r spells? (or maybe the "heroic vandalism font"

Actually if you want to know I'm trying to make a Mace-class "Tome of using everyday objects as bludgeoning weapons", and want it to have a chance of bonus damage, with a TOME'D! written "sound effect".

2. You'd have to make a sprite that has that text (which wouldn't be too hard, since the frames would just be the text moving upwards :p)

3. codebracker

codebracker Member

Or just hoover for a second, probably if I set the framerate to 150 or 200 and just make 4 frames
    Maybe I can even make it look like HEROIC VANDALISM font.

4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

How would you cause said sprite to appear in game though?

5. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

use the <anim ../> parameter. lots of different spells have it. Create a folder and fill it with .pngs of your sprite animation. check some of the game resources to see how it's done. once you do that, you can designate it as the animation in your spell effect.

6. codebracker

codebracker Member

oh I did some already, but does anyone knows any good fonts for THOME'D! (maybe the HEROIC VANDALISM one)

7. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I've looked at a few of them. It doesn't seem to be there. Take the Assassin procs for example, IIRC that all say their name when they go off, but if you look at the code, it looks like this:

Code:
    <spell name="Blackjack" type="adjacent" icon="skills/rogue/skill_assassination0_32.png" >
        <effect type="damage" crushing="2"/>
        <effect type="sleep" amount="2"/>
        <description text="Jack that mother."/>
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/psionic_generic/psionic_generic" frames="5" framerate="70" sfx="impact"/>
      </spell>
    <spell name="Sneaky Shiv" type="adjacent" icon="skills/rogue/skill_assassination1_32.png" >
        <effect type="damage" piercing="1" piercingF="0.33" secondaryScale="12" bleed="1" />
        <effect type="paralyze" turns="5" amount="2" />
        <description text="Go for the cheap shot, right between the ribs."/>
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/psionic_generic/psionic_generic" frames="5" framerate="70" sfx="shing"/>
      </spell>
    <spell name="Et tu?" type="target" icon="skills/rogue/skill_assassination2_32.png" >
        <effect type="damage" piercing="3" piercingF="0.5" bleed="1" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/psionic_generic/psionic_generic" frames="5" framerate="70" sfx="shing"/>
      </spell>
    The sprite called by the <anim ... /> parameter is just a stupid little sparkle effect.

8. Ruigi

So if you want to animate something else then simply change the sprite file path and the number of frames.

9. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

No, what I mean is that those skills are displaying sprites that they haven't called.

10. Ruigi

what are you trying to do? what is your current problem?

11. mining

mining Member

Procs all say their name when they go off.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  12. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

So is there a something in the game's code that generates the pseudo sound-effects automatically then?

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Because the animation it is calling is the "stupid little sparkle effect"? And because you'll have to make your own "text" animation and use it instead of the "stupid little sparkle effect" to get something that is not "stupid little sparkle effect"?

Yes, there is.

In the game's code, that is; not in the data files. So it is considered "hard-coded".

14. codebracker

codebracker Member

Hard coded? drat, will need to do animation then

15. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Actually I think he meant its hard coded to generate the appropriate text for any proc that is added (although not in the font that you were talking about; You'll still need a custom sprite if you want it in the heroic vandalism font)

Kazeto likes this.
  16. Ruigi

have you checked soundfx.xml?

17. codebracker

codebracker Member

I'm preaty shure zhat' just a sound file reference, besides you couldn't change the text

18. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Since when is it a font..

19. codebracker

codebracker Member

Well every text has it's own font, right? And I think the font of HEROIC VANDALISM looks awesome.

20. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Heroic Vandalism is just an image that happens to resemble the latin alphabet, it's not a font.

Kazeto likes this.