Spammers

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Essence, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

See: all the absurd spam in the General forum. We've apparently hit some sort of popularity threshold wherein the spammers think we're a good target now.

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Yep, I guess it's something like that -- I'm not sure why, but we went from just about no spam to tons of it seemingly overnight.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  3. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

It looks like the spammers and scammers have managed to get into the forums and are trolling around for victims errrr..... I mean customers. ;)

OmniaNigrum and delta534 like this.
  4. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

Can someone please move this to Off Topic/Discussions?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. 1024

1024 Member

Like, a moderator? Like, the same guy that's supposed to remove that crap?

Gaslamp: You really need a few European moderators, too, to prevent something like this happening.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

We're looking into this right now.
    Yeah, I cleaned it up now but it happened while I was sleeping.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Daynab

Pretty much, it was about one-two every other day and now 25 when I woke up...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'm all for a captcha too. Or better yet, for something akin to a riddle (an easy one) or just a minor math problem to solve, as that would make it harder for both bots and people who don't think at all (not that I'm discriminating against potential forum members, but if someone is stupid enough not to be able to count to 10 despite being an adult, I do not want him/her to be here) to join.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Daynab

I looked and it seems there's already a captcha. Seems not an effective one though.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Movra

Movra Member

Captchas can be OCR'd. Read up on XRumer.
    • A custom challenge (eg. "what kind of lamp?") may yield better results. However, consider the possibility of human-aided spam account registration.
    • The account confirmation e-mail is based on a default template. A bot can simply follow the link. Breaking up the link into pieces helps against bots (eg. "go to this url, then paste the following in the adress bar"). Unfortunately it also increases the number of failures of legit registrations. The resulting complaints in your inbox will be at least as annoying.
    • One suggestion I've found is to have a script count the number of keystrokes. Could prove to be incompatible with password management software however.
    • XRumer fills in all form fields. You could try to add a hidden form field. If the field is not blank, the form must have been submitted by a bot. However I'd not be surprised if this crude detection method has been beaten by now.
    • Although XRumer is able to solve them, from my own experience Captchas are still useful in blocking registration attempts by simpler bots right at the gate. Depending on the forum software and configuration, stopping the bulk of the spam attacks saves a lot of moderation alerts and warnings about unsuccessful registrations.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  11. Moderators are humans. They need to sleep too. They also have eat so it is not their fault if something happens while they are away.

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  12. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I'd rather have one moderator like Daynab, carefully chosen for his even-handedness and dedication to the forum policies, plus known to the forum owners, than a bunch of people who aren't really in step with each other and are much greater unknown quantities.

13. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Is it possible to add something simple but bot-failing like "your first post must be in the Introductions thread before you gain the right to post elsewhere on the forums"?

OmniaNigrum and Kablooie like this.
  14. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Just ask an abstract but simple question. What direction is the opposite of down? What is negative one times three (In text obviously)?
    Write the second word only in the following captcha

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. 1024

1024 Member

Or just, "You need more mana, drink more ...."

OmniaNigrum, phasmy, Aegho and 2 others like this.
  16. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Interestingly, MY forums got hit by similar spammers on the same day that these forums did...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Createx

Createx Member

It can only mean one thing: One person here is a witch.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Or someone is an international person of mystery, ie a spy. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

There's a spy spamming my forums!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Daynab

We have a new anti-spam system that we're trying now, so we'll see if we still get spambot members.

OmniaNigrum likes this.