SOPA Again...

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

mod edit: read the last post as well.

http://www.holyconflictofinterest.com/

Read, sign, and hope they do not get their way. (Americans only. I really doubt congress cares for international opinions.)

2. Tycho

Tycho Member

...DE ALBONDIGAS?

3. Warlock

Warlock Member

words fail me. All these people want is more money, and more of it. It's nothing new that they're buying out corrupt politicians though. Personally speaking, a little 'accident' taking place during the Oscars or Golden Globe ceremony might put them in their place. I fail to understand why people put this lot up on a pedestal; they're 3 1/2 cubits of flesh, blood, and bone like everyone else. Politicians are the scum of the earth, that much is true, but everyone with a lot of money seem to be greedy. I wonder why? [/sarcasm]

edited for grammar

4. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

When you will be starting angry mob to lynch all your politicians and then give them public humiliation and/or execution they deserve.....call me. I'll join your case against these oppressors.

5. jadkni

jadkni Member

Fixed that for you. :p
    -
    If Hollywood had two collective braincells to rub together they'd realize that if they dedicated half the resources they did trying to fight the way that the world has changed in the information age on adapting to it and providing consumers (read: the ones they're f$#!ing over) with a more convenient way to watch movies than the infringing sites in question, they'd be both richer and less of a complete joke.

Aegho, OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  6. Warlock

Warlock Member

The way I see it they'll probably try to ensure that you can't record TV shows without paying for them too in case you feel like watching them later. Not that it'll affect the people who can't afford to pay for such services; they'll just carry on pirating since they want a fix. This is the fallacy that big companies need to realise as the ground reality - Piracy does not lose you most of your sales. Most pirates to begin with are 13 year old kids who happen to have a mom and dad tight on the purse strings for whatever reason, or else flat out refusing to buy them something. And $30 per title is a lot of money in some countries. As I've reiterated, you can't just do chores to earn that money in third world countries - you get about 10-25 cents a job. By the time you're done doing that you could pirate more than one title. A lot of parents don't use their credit cards for online sales either, so those are out since they're afraid of ID theft, which is a legitimate concern no matter how safe your method of purchase is. Some things can't be obtained by any other methods. Piracy is morally grey - not everyone can afford to pay the steep prices charged by movie and software moguls.

Aegho, OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

We should not get off the topic of peaceful opposition. Those implying violence as a "Solution" need to rethink that. They want you to get angry and say things you may not really mean. Then they can quickly silence you by having you imprisoned forever for threatening them with violence.

We protest by voting and signing petitions as a first line of defense. When those things fail or are ignored, we escalate to protests in person as a nearly last line of defense. If we ever are pushed far enough to justify violence then we have already lost.

Please remember that the scum that is pushing this mess want nothing more than to make you think of violence. That is a quick and easy way for them to win outright without even having to debate. Do not hand them your freedoms on a silver platter.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah uh don't start discussing things like "taking matters in your own hands" here as I would have to close this.

Tirien66 likes this.
  9. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I get really annoyed at politically uninvolved indivuals who claim a morbid desire to violently overthrow the government when a piece of legislation threatens something that they care about.

Really? they're going to regulate your consumption of the internet so you want to kill them?

Grow up-- get involved at the state and local level. Help your political party find a candidate who represents your views. be involved at the party level-- be active in primaries. Don't wait for the general election to vote. Write to all your congressmen, to newspaper, post on forums. Do more than just complain that things aren't going your way.

10. Aegho

Aegho Member

They tried to stop the VHS, they tried to stop CD-burning, they tried to stop DVD-burning, etc.

They've been doing it a long time.

Btw in the USA if your DVD-burner gets rootkitted so it doesn't work anymore, it is ILLEGAL to get it fixed! That's the hollywood lobby.

Bohandas and OmniNegro like this.
  11. Warlock

Warlock Member

You do know that if it was that simple to change the way the world works, people would have done this a long time ago? Most people have their own troubles to be getting on with, which is the perfect loophole for scum to get away with doing things when in power. "Be involved in primaries, write to congressmen?" Yeah right. They ignore whatever they feel is damaging or inconvenient to them, and where that doesn't work money tends to solve 95% of problems. 4 out of the remaining 5% of the time, an "accident", physical or otherwise, tends to happen to the guy on the street who just wants some social justice done for his class of person. I live in India, have you any idea how many people get killed here for outspoken views? World's largest "democracy" my foot, oligarchy or tyranny seems more like it. Our Prime Minister is a lame duck who has no idea what's going on in his own damn office, when the previous ones were pretty much the spider at the heart of the corruption web.

Ruigi, I kind of understand how you're thinking, but rose-colored glasses don't work on the world anymore. People are sick of how often their lives get ruined by those in power. They're sick of seeing brave people fighting for what they believe in being mercilessly killed. I may belong to the privileged class, but even I know how hard it is for the average joe to survive. I may have slightly extreme views, but I do not advocate killing, personally. We can jaw until doomsday but there will be no change unless society is torn down to the roots and rebuilt again. It's that simple. Corruption, greed, and power-mongering are so entrenched in the world it'll take a miracle to see it gone for good.

Just as an afterthought: It doesn't matter if you support a candidate with similar views. The moguls of the world will simply fund someone who is willing to ensure that they retain their position on top of the heap. Independent campaigning needs a miracle to work, and those happen to be in short supply now. There's very little someone can do against a force overwhelmingly stacked up against them, optimism be damned, and if you look at it objectively enough, you come to this conclusion: WE DO NOT MATTER TO THE SUPER AND ULTRA-RICH. We may was well be termites or ants for all they care. They live out their privileged lives and squeeze most of us to maintain them. This is not really that different from how a monarchy worked to begin with.

In B4 someone accuses me of extreme political views: The only thing I concern myself with is medicine. I'll do my bit to ease the suffering of the poor by providing free healthcare. Can't do much else other than that, sadly.

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I'm a person with pretty defined political views myself, so every time a thread like this pops up I have to restrain myself, but it's policy to not have political or religious discussions here.

Knowing where this thread is going, I'm going to close it, but what I will do is sticky it for a week or two for people to see the link in the OP and sign.

ps: Gaslamp is of course against SOPA. http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/01/18/sopa-and-pipa/ (from 6 months ago)

Tirien66 and OmniNegro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.