Some suggestions for UI improvements

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by perost, Oct 16, 2011.

1. perost

perost Member

I've got some suggestions for how I think the UI of DoD can be improved. It already works quite well as it is, so I guess improving the UI shouldn't have a very high priority right now (except that 2x stuff of course). But here's a couple of things you might want to think about.

Something that I think would be an improvement to the UI would be the possibility to "lock" windows, so that they don't close when you hit escape. For example, I usually want to keep the lutefisk cube open so that I can easily transmute things I find on the floor. But the lutefisk cube window has a very high priority when you press escape, so if you want to keep the window open you can no longer use escape to close other windows. So it would be nice to be able to lock windows that you want to keep permanently open, and still be able to use escape to close other windows. This should be fairly easy to implement, for example by adding a new button next to the close button that toggles the locked state of the window.

Another thing that might be a bit harder to implement would be a more consistent way of moving windows. Right now you can't move some windows at all (character, recipes, etc), some windows can be moved by clicking and holding on any empty space (inventory), and other windows can only be moved by some bar with no visible bounds (crafting). I guess this might be a bit confusing to some. I think a clear improvement would be to make it possible to move the crafting windows by clicking on any empty space in them, so that they behave as the inventory window. That way you only have movable and non-movable windows.

2. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Lockable windows would be nice. I too like to keep my lutefisk cube open.