Some serious things i wanna discuss about.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by QuickForYa, Sep 17, 2011.

1. QuickForYa

QuickForYa Member

Hello,

I have made some notes during gameplay with my previous character which luckily beat Lord Dredmor.

So here is some bugs that annoys me.

1) Sleeping monsters still can block attacks (at least magicks)
    2) After reloading game luttesfik sometimes appears in disposable ingot press instead of cube.
    3) Experienced rare crash to desktop when walking up stairs and downstairs. (floors)

Achievements:

Well, i don't know if developers check steam forum, where i and some other people are posting our issues with achievements and other stuff, so i will copy & paste what i posted recently from steam.

About pets:

1) I had choosed Fungus skill after i maxemised this skill, first time tried mushroom pet, I understood that it is the weakest pet i have ever seen, can't even kill a single monster, what's the use of it anyway?
    2) Also had maximised Golemancy skill, all the time used Robo pet, very useful pet and strongest of all of them, till i get on final level / floor, then it becomes useless cause it no longer can protect me from Arch diggles. That should not be like that. - basically my character was Mage from all skills i choosed so pet is only thing that can protect against strong monsters cause mage clothes ain't good you know.

So i want to make suggestion for pets.

1) Each time character gets level, then pet should become stronger by 1 % or so.
    2) Also need HUD when you spawn your pet, like you use some magic buffs.

This is what i thought about, probably forgot something, but if i remember then i gonna add it here.

Thanks for reading tho.

2. Zen

Zen Member

1) Well, in almost any D&D influenced RPG, monsters can still block, dodge, etc., because of the way randomness works. You roll a 0 and oops, it survives.
    2) Known bug with how containers work. There's a thread where it explains how you can make stacks of anything in the Lutefisk cube.
    3) No idea.

re: pets

1 and 2) I've found the fungus to be weak as well, but as a mage with pets in any game RPG, your pet is a distraction after you level up a bit. You nuke the enemies to help your pet kill them, or let them take a hit or two while you are casting spells to weaken/kill it, then you resummon as needed. Robo does a good job of tanking through most of the floors, though it stops being useful around 8. As I said, however, pets are a distraction. With Golemancy maxed, you have Unliving Wall and Thaumite swarm. Those two spells can wall off enemies and take them down easily (plus you can use my door casting bug to make things even easier;)). Though I wouldn't be opposed to your suggestions as a tweak to see how they would work.

Interesting ideas though.

3. QuickForYa

QuickForYa Member

Responding on your statements,

1)well i assume developers actually fixed this confusing thing I mean
    that should actually include using magic skills on sleeping monsters.
    2) sorry but im lazy to search for it, i just post things that i assume as bugs or w/e.
    3) Ah remember, i think crash to desktop happened because when i run away from monsters (found monster zoo) to regain health so i did this strategy whenever i was low on health i used stairs to regain health and when i came back maybe just maybe monster blocked path at stairs... Probably that is why my game crashed.

now which reminds me another bug.

4) at floor 5th and 6th where are those two shaman types of monsters they sometimes revive their teammates even if living teammate is standing on dead corpse then shamans still can revive them and it looks like 2 monsters in one hitting me which was really quick to kill my character. :(

Um, yea i found that thaumite swarm was useful until i add skill point to fleshsmithing. That was pretty much stronger but costs way to much mana, but combine Thaumite swarm with fleshsmitting can be very useful.

4. Zen

Zen Member

1) Well, how I would perceive it having played D&D is that even if you cast on monsters, you still have to break their innate Spell Resistance before the spell works, regardless if they are sleeping or not. Just my thoughts, maybe it's not intended.

2) If you want to make lots of interesting things, check this thread out: http://www.gaslampgames.com/community/threads/awesome-lutefisk-bug-d.934/ There's a post that details how you can make lots of whatever item you want.

3) Plausible. Though there is a bug right now if you move to a different level while fighting a monster zoo, you won't get the reward when you come back, just an fyi.

4) Yeah, there are lots of clipping issues right now where two things can occupy the same square. http://www.gaslampgames.com/community/threads/mobs-and-walls-and-other-mobs.1003/

My thaumite swarm only costs 3 mana. I think when I picked it up on floor 1, it was like 8 mana, so expensive then, but using Blood Magic level 2, I could almost instantly recharge all my mana after killing like 4 enemies.

5. QuickForYa

QuickForYa Member

Thanks for links. i'll check them out.

3) Haven't experienced this bug, i always get rewards.

I know thaumite swarm costs 3 mana, but later floors this skills becomes weak as i said before combine thaumites with fleshsmithing on one monster can be very useful, that is how i beat lord dredmor. :)

I wish that someone of developers could respond here.

6. Godwin

Godwin Member

About pets, I think the fungus pet is about the handiest pet period, since it's cheap in skillpoints and mana (zero, the skilltree itself even uses no mana so no need to pick a mana regain skill). It can kill stuff decently, I don't know why you say it can't, plus indeed, it's a very useful diversion.

7. QuickForYa

QuickForYa Member

First off, have you tried fungus pet use on floor 10th? Second, I doubt that everyone who chose this skills will maximise on first floor, also it takes 40 turns to spawn it again so i think this pet is way to weak.

8. Derakon

Derakon Member

The pets aren't meant to last you the entire game. You can get the fungus pet the first time you level up your character, at which point it'll be a very useful meatshield and probably be able to deal a decent amount of damage. It'll also survive long enough at that level that the cooldown on the timer isn't really an issue. Combined with it costing zero mana, and it's quite useful indeed for helping you reach the deeper levels, even if it can't itself survive down there.

Likewise, skills like Dragon Breath, Narcosomatic Induction, Deadly Hex, etc. don't scale all the way through the game. You're expected to level the skill up and access the more powerful abilities, and then use those. They're gateway skills, basically. They might see occasional use later on but your bread and butter skills aren't always going to be the ones you start with.

In other words, of course the fungus pet doesn't survive on level 10! It's meant for levels 1-3!

Godwin likes this.
  9. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Active skills that scale throughout the whole game, make sense in games where you can invest more than one point in each skill, and with "skill trees" rather than "skill lines"

In Dredmor, when you invest points in a skill line, you'remost of the time buying new capacities that are useful in a certain range of levels.

10. Not exactly, this game has scaling skills based on Magic Power ratios that are different per spell. It's not ludicrous to desire that your pet levels, or scales off of another stat (could also be Magic Power). If what you are saying is true than the melee skills such as procs, or the unarmed kick available on your first level up would not be useful late game, where they actually are useful late game (because they scale off increasing weapon damage/melee stats, as most of them hit for X + Weapon Damage). While I can agree that the higher pets right now do still tank fairly well for their mana cost at end game, I can see why someone would want them to scale a bit better.

11. jvarnes

jvarnes Member

That little slimey is definitely geared towards the beginning levels, but i find that he holds his own just fine on the first few dungeon levels (as well as any pet I have tried). Plus the cool down never seems to be an issue. I frequently re-summon him whenever I loose track of him (especially when I step through teleportals and the like). PLUS his spore cloud (or whatever it is) at summon is a nice extra benefit as well. It's like doing a summon and launching a free bolt at the same time. :)

Now the Mushroom Beast later in the skill tree might be underpowered compared to say the Wyrmling or the Robot pets. I really don't have enough experience with using it to say for sure.

12. 123stw

123stw Member

Fungal is not to be leveled past 3, the last 2 skills totally sucks.

As for robo, I think it's good enough. Rush that early on and it pretty much beats the first 6 floors for you, until you got the mana to just wall up/spell spam, and probably teleport everywhere with math.