So I found a Daemonic Diggledagger in a chest of evil..

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Infiltrator, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

Great stats but, this weapon is such a chore to use. First, it has a ton of effects that take ages to occur, and there are just too many of them. From a single swing I get explosions, curses and what not flying all over the screen, hurting me and the enemies. I guess on the plus side it has life steal, but after the fight I'm left with half a dozen curses on me.

The item could be fun but at the moment it's way too random and takes a lot of time to do what it does.

2. mining

mining Member

Then don't use it.

3. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

Thanks for the insightful comment, you really know how to spark a discussion.

Psiweapon likes this.
  4. Borodin

Borodin Member

Can you post its effects? It actually sounds as though it's triggering instability, or the combination of the item and others that are slightly unstable are triggering them. Right now even slight instability has a strong chance of causing a range of unpleasant effects on you and your enemies.

5. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

Well, first it triggers the tentacle inhabiation, it appears to trigger all of the time. The target is also set on fire and explodes in a 3x3 radius afterwards, sometimes. You are stricken with at least 3 different types of curses, one of them gimps your mana pool, the other reduces your HP, and the 3rd one reduces eyesight and nimbleness.. there's more but this is off the top of my head. The lifesteal helps a lot like I said, but this item just juggles me way too much with HP back and forth.

It's like I enter the fight with full HP, get beaten down to half, then recuperate it all in 2 hits, then almost dead again. Very erratic behavior. Note that the item I got from the chest of evil has like +20 poison damage along with some other very nice stats, if it was the "base" item I would sell it immediately, would be completely useless.

6. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

Have you tried Necro resistance? Dredmorpedia makes it sound like a mini-necronomiconomic proc fountain.

7. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

You should feel lucky that you can even unequip it. Some roguelikes don't allow you to unequip cursed gear once you put it on.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

Already had necro resist, didn't help.

Thanks for the relevant post. We should also feel lucky that DoD supports saving games, changing resolutions and resizing UI elements.

9. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Have you turned the game speed up? (press "=")

10. Unibrow

Unibrow Member

Why do you feel it necessary to be so incredibly rude and condescending? That sort of attitude is not conducive to a positive discussion.

Besides, Ruigi has a valid point. Roguelike games are not known for being fair to the player. Not all items are going to be useful or beneficial.

Turbo164, shaken, Kazeto and 2 others like this.
  11. doorhandle

doorhandle Member

...Is it wrong that I would find that weapon a blast to use? :D

To be totally fair, sincerity is among the many tones that fail to come along in an online discussion.

Also seconding the speed-up idea. And also the idea of seeing if it's unstable. Instability is one of the many things that should come up in the U.A.I.

12. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

For a minute there I thought that I wouldn't have to actually explain myself here, but looks like I'm going to have to spell it out for you.

First of all, DoD has got no cursed items. Whether or not they were used in some predecessor games has no argumentative value at all. Second, the point is completely missed because this is not about the item being "fair", it's about game balance, and looking at how game balance is done in Dredmor, like it or not, more stars = better item overall.

So my argument is that the current incarnation of the Daemonic Diggledagger does not have enough benefits to outweight its shortcomings and still be a top-tier dagger, for reasons I elaborated in the above posts, which, again, have nothing to do with the mechanics of some old roguelikes.

From my perspective, you're the one being rude, you, like the guy I quoted, brought absolutely nothing to the discussion, other than telling me how rude and condescending I am and agreeing with a moot point.

13. rory

rory Member

That's not necessarily the case. Consider the gnomish cap, which has a lot of stars but isn't really a good item. Similarly, the cybercone has only two stars, but is very good. The crude iron helm has two stars, but is actually a worse item than the one-star rough iron hjalmr.

14. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

Agreed, but the exceptions are few and far in between, daggers being rare, there is really no need to consider the diggle dagger as something that is intentionally gimped.

15. There's already quite a few items that proc eldritch inhabitation or similar effects, I don't think it's really all that weird and the worst drawbacks can be circumvented with some resists and hit-and-run tactics (and the necro curses are part of the design of necronomiconomics effects...)

16. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

It is not intended to be an easy item to use.

However the behavior of Tentacular Infestation is incorrect in that it is applying certain debuffs to the player when they should be applied to the monster getting hit. This is making the dagger a bit more trouble than intended. This has been a problem with Tentacular Infestation for way too long so I'm going to give the spell an overhaul to fix this. (Possibly there's an underlying code issue somewhere, but it's probably just messy scripting or vague syntax used.)

Turbo164, Infiltrator and SkyMuffin like this.
  17. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

Thanks for the reply. It does seem like the player gets a ton of debuffs while the monsters are left with "just" burning, fleshbore and tenticular inhabitation.

For example, I often end up with no mana at all after a fight. This is alright if you are using no spells of course, but it is a severe hinderance just by itself.

On the plus side, I recommend praying to the Diggle Goddess of Fertility to offset the life you will inevitably lose, whether you get hit or not.

18. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

That explains some other issues I seem to remember having.. what with being hit by random infestation debuffs with no apparent cause. It's been a while since I've seen it, though. Maybe it's deeper than I've gotten in a while.

19. Borodin

Borodin Member

Yes, that does sound like the current problems with instability. For example, I've got just "slightly unstable" on one item, and every time my character gets hit at melee, the tentacular infestation occurs, along with fire, and poison. Hopefully, it'll all be resolved, soon.

20. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I don't understand your aversion to writing new spell effects. This is the same poo poo that broke the holy hand grenade for months, and the same dumb stuff that makes the bolt of mass destruction not work properly either.

Is it really that hard to copy/paste an entry in spelldb and change it from type="self" to type="target"?