Slew of bugs

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Miner0, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Miner0

Miner0 Member

Hi all!

Thanks for the continuing efforts of the development team to fix bugs. Can't wait to get to buy the expansion stuff as well! Here's all the glitchy/buggy stuff that I ran into over the last few times I played version 1.06. I hope at least some of them are previously unreported.

1) Ever ran into one of these hybrid toxic electroblobbies? (The guy also had an electric long-range attack as expected). Something to do with the monster types switching -bug?

DoD_Toxic_Electroblobby.gif

2) Two glitches with the “Voltaic empowerment”-feat. It gives you 6 elec res and 2 elec damage, but only the elec resistance is mentioned in the tooltip (when you hover over it left off the char display). Also it’s supposed to only last for 6 hits (as per description), but actually only ends if you’ve run out of mana.

3) There’s probably nothing you can do about this (the way it’s likely programmed) but if you’re cursed with the “easy target” curse and you kick a door, the curse ends after getting the “hurt your foot” message. Which is just a little counter-intuitive mainly.

4) I once teleported into a room, took a step off the teleporter and only then was there spawned a regiment of monsters into the room, including some stacked monsters. What causes such sudden apparition anyway? Are the rooms not populated when you first enter the level? It wasn’t a quest objective group either. (I know the stacked mons glitch is known)

5)Don’t have a picture of it, but there was once a lever placed right on the square between the two sets of bars in a “dome” room that you normally enter the room in between. Here’s a screenshot of a similar room where the lever would have been where the cursor is now (on a diggle corpse).

GoT_E1_RNO_004.gif

6)Funny door placement. (This is known, right?) Or maybe it’s just a spare set of doors after some miscommunication between the dungeon architect and the construction team.

GoT_E1_RNO_001.gif

7) This is related to monster stacking problems, but you can actually mount a monster yourself by using “Knightly leap”. This is funny, because you’re completely safe up there (from that particular monster at least).

8) There’s some problems with the archaeology skill of “It belongs in a museum”.

a) It doesn’t award you any XP when done in a shop, which is obviously to prevent people from using it on all the stuff they’re just picking up at the shop. However, you also don’t get XP for stuff you’ve paid for, or had with you when you entered, and that’s what’s buggy.

Also if you do try picking something up and using the skill on it without having paid, you end up having Brax standing at the door as if waiting for you to pay for the thing you no longer had and the only way to leave is to fight him. Maybe that’s not a bug though, after all he doesn’t care that you’ve lost the artefact, he just wants to be paid for it.

b) The XP you get for successfully sending an artefact to the warehouse seems erratic. What’s the formula being used? Last two times I tried I got 60XP and 240XP respectively for absolutely everything, regardless of differences between their selling prices.

9) Sometimes the screen that gives you the result of a Krong enchantment lists both old and new powers that the items has (which is confusing), and sometimes just the new powers (which IMO is better).

10) Drinking a second potion of Midas doesn’t either increment or even reset the Midas hit counter if you were already under the Midas effect.

11) I’m seconding the opinion of whoever pointed out that the CPU intensity of the game while minimized should, optimally, be considerably lower than when active. Can that eventually be implemented?

2. Marak

Marak Member

Nice list :) I gotta add my 2 cents on some of these.

8b) I'd like to know, too. Back in 1.0.3 when I took Archaeology on every character ever, I noticed that the XP gain from IBiaM was epic and amazing at low Levels (say, 1-10) and by the time you were using it on Floor 9 Artifacts that would sell for 10,000 Zorkmids, you'd get like... 100 XP from it. I wonder it it's intentional for it to get weaker as your character Levels, or if it's a flaw in the way it's implemented.

11) I've learned the hard way not to leave the game minimized and then go to bed. The next morning, my computer runs like it has 30 viruses and 3 trojans until I restart it. It can't recover from long-term Minimized Dredmor. :(

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hi, and nice list! I'll try to answer some of those, others seem new to me.
    1: Possibly related, yes.
    3: You're right, if it's supposed to end on damage then it will on doors.
    4: I don't actually know how spawns are handled, but it does happen occasionally that monsters spawn around you (even when you don't teleport in a room) but generally even if you teleport they're around.
    6: Probably one of the oldest bugs of this game, hasn't gotten fixed yet most likely cause of the low priority compared to other bugs.
    7: I'm not sure if it's intended or not, but I personally like that. It's pretty amusing, and you can't hit the monster then anyway. There was also the last burglary ability that let you do this.
    8b: As far as I remember it was supposed to scale by the number of stars on the item, but now that you mention it I'm not sure. What I do know is that it used to be absurdly good to the point that not taking Arch was a punishment, and then they nerfed it (too much IMO).
    9: This is most likely due to some items being considered artifacts even as you pick them up (and therefore having bonus enchantments on it that Krong recognizes). I do agree showing new powers only would be much better though.

As for the others, they're either new to me or things that I agree should be clarified. I'm sure the devs will check this when they get a chance.