Skills for a viking-thingy with some magic powers?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Laml, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Laml

Laml Member

I've been reading stuff about the game pretty much all the day, since I can't play it right now, and I started thinking about some skills that may help me to make a pretty good run. I think I'll go for a warrior that use two axes and some magic power (mainly to take care of corrupted monsters, or zoos maybe).

So far, I think I'll use Axes, Dual Weilding, Master of Arms, Viking Wizardry, Blood Mage and Promethean Magic.
    But I wonder if the promethan magic will be able to deal a decent amount of damage, or should I replace it with some more offensive stuff? Or maybe use golemancy/fleshsmithing?
    Also, what should I take for my 7th skill? I heard that smithing is pretty good, and it increases burliness so it might come in handy. I though about berserk rage too, that may replace P. Magic if it's useless. Also, what do Astrology do, since the wiki don't say anything about it yet, and lots of people say it's awesome?

I'd like that some of you take the time to help me. I don't really want to be digged to death by a diggle after 2 minutes.

2. tiptoes

tiptoes Member

I don't know all the astrology, but the level one skill is quite useful - basically you get a shield that lasts a few hits. When attacked by any enemy, the shield can do damage to all enemies around you and stun them.

The damage from the shield is fairly unimpressive (though positioning yourself around a corner can let you deal a lot of damage to monsters coming at you, which is great for monster zoos) but the stun is really great because it lets you dish out a lot of damage safely even if you do get surrounded. The spell is also relatively low mana, so even characters focusing in fighting can get use out of it.

The promethean spell summoning a dragon is really useful (largely because I think summons are overpowered in the current game), but I think astrology beats it out overall for utility... you can try them both, though.

My only suggestion is that you might be fairly low on mana with that build because you've got three magic paths. Blood mage might be enough, but I feel like you'll get less use out of Viking Wizardry if you're taking magic primarily for corrupted monsters. Promethean Magic or Astrology has let me handle zoos pretty capably, anyway.

Hope this helps! Try a lot of things! Die :) it's not so bad.

3. Laml

Laml Member

I looked closer at Promethean Magic and Viking Wizardry. I like the fact that viking spells aren't only offensive, but can also give you extra strength/defence. But P. Magic looks like it can deal insane damages, so I'll probably try P.Magic/Astrology and V.Wizardry/some passive skill like smithing or berserk rage. The two together looks like it's pretty useless and using tons of mana, though.
    Now, let's think about what will be the last skill. Probably Smithing/Berserk Rage (depending on which one I picked with V.Wizardry if I uses it), or maybe something that will help me deal with traps?

Can't wait to die horribly every ten steps. Roguelikes are fun.

4. curious nu

curious nu Member

Promethean Magic is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY combined with Blood Magic. That's what I'm using on my current run for most of my damage, and monster houses are a freakin' joke. Also, I don't get how either of those really jive with a Viking concept (okay, okay, dragons, dragon ships, but.. still). I'd probably drop those and instead take Alchemy and Smithing, and just use a crossbow or wands for the ranged stuff.

For traps: just find gear with Trap Affinity skill bonuses. That's what is checked when it comes to disarming traps, and you can get it on anything.