[Skill] Galactic Hitchhiker [BETA]

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Aegho, May 15, 2012.

1. Aegho

Aegho Member

Let me preface by saying this may be my most overpowered skill yet... I kinda got carried away by the moment and the references.

The skills:

Stick Out Your Thumb: 3:sagacity:. Ability: Teleport. Downtime 7.
    45% chance of going to your targeted destination.
    10% chance of blinking.
    15% chance of blinking 5 times.
    5% chance of blinking 20 times.
    20% chance nothing happens.
    5% chance of taking 5:dmg_existential:+5:dmg_aphyxiative: damage. And blink once.

Sandwich Maker: 2:dmg_slashing:2:resist_slashing:5:edr:. Ability: Summon Bread. Downtime 42. (Spawns 1 Sliced Bread).

Throwing the Letter Q in the Bush: 3:caddishness:. Ability: Throw Q in the Bush. Downtime 21. Creates a mine that does 14:dmg_aphyxiative:+( :dmg_aphyxiative:x0.21:caddishness:), and a delayed(2 turns) toxic cloud 5x5 that does 7:dmg_toxic:+( :dmg_toxic:x0.21:caddishness:).

Galactic Express Way: 3:caddishness:. Ability: Vogon Construction Fleet. Downtime 84. Does 7:dmg_conflagratory:+( :dmg_conflagratory:x0.21:caddishness:)+7:dmg_blast:+( :dmg_blast:x0.21:caddishness:) in a 9x5 (custom) template in front of the player, followed by 7:dmg_crushing:+( :dmg_crushing:x0.21:caddishness:)+7:dmg_aphyxiative:+( :dmg_aphyxiative:x0.21:caddishness:).

Total Perspective Vortex: 2:sight:2:caddishness:2:savvy:. Ability: Total Perspective Vortex. Downtime 42. Deals 42:dmg_existential:+( :dmg_existential:x0.84:caddishness:) to a single target, also confuses and paralyzes.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe: 13:life:6:haywire:. Ability: Dinner With a View. Downtime 126.Paralyzes player for 6 turns, during which he's basically invulnerable. Heals 0.13:savvy: each turn and does ( :dmg_conflagratory:x0.42:caddishness:)+( :dmg_blast:x0.42:caddishness: ) in a template 101 area each turn.

Changelog:
    Changelog 0.7.2 Nerfed the capstone a bit, improved the vortex.
    0.7.1 Added a chance of self-damage from Stick Out Your Thumb.
    0.7 Stick Out Your Thumb now fails twice as often, Vogon Construction Fleet now has two subparts doing a third the base damage, but each with the old scaling, also each part has its own effect, making it more visually interesting, and the template was shortened from 14 to 9 squares long, Total Perspective Vortex and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe switch places, and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe had its base damage slashed from 7 to 3.
    0.6 Added skill Icon (Thanks dbaumgart!)
    0.5 Added more templates for TRatEofU which makes it a little flashier and also a little weaker(everything is getting hit less times).
    0.4.2 Workaround for spawn not working for food, Summon Bread now uses spawnitemfromlist.
    0.4.1 Made TPV use skills/spells/syzygy64.png and skills/spells/syzygy32.png instead of skills/lesser_syzygy64.png and skills/lesser_syzygy32.png to hopefully make it more compatible for non-beta players.
    0.4 Towel fixed.
    0.3 Towel commented out to prevent crashing. Argh.
    0.2 Halved scaling, added towel.

Attached Files:

Dray`Gon and Essence like this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

All of the scaling amounts could be halved without making this skill underpowered. That said, I like it. :0

3. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

Nice! Was kinda hoping for a Towel skill of some sort, or maybe a reference to the answer to the Universe or is it 42 and that's why damages seem to be based around that number? (Kinda been a while since I'd watched the movie/read the book)

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Starting equipment should definitely include a towel.

What he said.

Damages seem a bit high all around.
    Would recommend comparing them to existing spells of the same tier.

Promethean, for example, does massive damage, but does it all in tiny little packets so that monsters with just a few points of :resist_conflagratory: take a lot smaller of a hit than those without it, and so that monsters with -:resist_conflagratory: (a weakness) take a lot more damage than those who aren't specifically vulnerable to :dmg_conflagratory: . You might look at doing something similar. As annoying as it may be to code such fiddly multi-layered effects, it will go a long way to preserving game balance and the identity/flavor of the monsters.

EDIT: I get that the damages were specifically chosen to reference "42". Thing is, since you've got scaling in there, and the way resistances work, the player is never going to actually see these do exactly 42 damage. PCs never have 0 :caddishness:.

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. Essence

towel should be a shield with a ClassNameOverride to make it a "Towel". Ideally this mod would also come with a whole host of new monster insults and random log text.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  6. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm reworking ID's insults and log sections for 2.0 anyway, so if Aegho doesn't take you up on that, I'll make sure there's some more hitchhikers quotes being bandied about.

7. Aegho

Aegho Member

We'll see how much I flesh it out... towel will come eventually, when I decide what to do with it. It can be head, shield, belt, or necklace... I might go with necklace simply because there's a lack of early ones, so even a weak one will be a nice perk.

Damage notes taken to heart.. I'll lower them a bit. I'll take a good long look at similar abilities, maybe spread some of them out a bit over multiple effects and/or turns(particularly vogon construction fleet, and I had already planned to make dinner with a view more special effects spectacular). The lack of fiddly multilayering is basically because I was trying to get it finished in one sitting.

8. Essence

Towel-necklace is a brilliant idea. Especially if the flavor text describes it as being used like a bib. :)

9. Aegho

Aegho Member

Towel necklace added, scaling halved. More later, but I've been working all day and I'm kinda tired, so tiered effects will have to wait.

EDIT: Towel crashes the game and I don't know why, I've commented it out, maybe one of you guys can have a look? It seems to be icon independant, as it still crashes with iconFile="items/belt_wizard_sash.png"

As a sidenote: I :life: pixlr.com/Editor so thanks Essence.

Essence likes this.
  10. Aegho

Aegho Member

Fixed towel crashes, it's in and working.

11. grimAuxilliam

grimAuxilliam Member

I'm getting an error that says: file name skills/lesser_syzygy32.png not found. Any ideas?

12. Aegho

Aegho Member

It might require the DLC beta then, I guess I could switch to good old sysygy, same picture.

EDIT: Changed the pictures used, should now work fine without DLC.

13. Aegho

Aegho Member

Found a bug myself, summon bread does not work. No idea why. *scratches head* It looks so simple!

EDIT: The game refuses to spawn Sliced Bread, but the spell works just fine if I change it to lockpicks or throwing knives.

14. Aegho

Aegho Member

Workaround fix for the bread issue, the spell now uses spawnitemfromlist. It spawns it at your feet instead of directly to inventory, but it's the best I could make work.

15. Aegho

Aegho Member

More templates for The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

16. grimAuxilliam

grimAuxilliam Member

Yay! It works. Thanks for the fix. Now time to play the many lives of Agrajag.

17. Aegho

Aegho Member

Substantial nerf/rebalance update. Unsure wether it properly addresses the power of Galactic Express Way aka Vogon Construction Fleet, may need further nerfing. Also considering adding a 5% chance to Stick Out Your Thumb to deal existential and asphyxiative damage to the player(from the vogon poetry reading and subsequent being thrown off the ship), lowering the 5 blink chance to 10%, or possibly even lowering the accurate teleport chance to 40%.

Workshop not updated yet, waiting on feedback on the changes.

Essence likes this.
  18. Aegho

Aegho Member

Added the self-damage chance.