[Skill] Focused Passives

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ysrgrim, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Ysrgrim

Ysrgrim Member

This mod adds three new skills trees: Warrior Training, Rogue Training, and Wizard Training. Each does exactly what it sounds like.
    *Last update: Jan. 15, 2015

Steam Workshop link

These skill trees are meant for a focused build based around either Warrior, Rogue, or Wizard. They work with (hopefully) every playstyle within those major builds (Counter + Crit Rogue? Check! Throwing + dodge Rogue? Also Check!) while mainly limiting usefulness to the other classes (Warrior gives -Savvy and Sagacity, and Wizard gets -Burliness, etc). There are only three active skills in the entire mod, and come very late in the skill trees (6th and 8th skill for Wizard, 8th skill for Warrior), relying almost entirely on stats and passive procs. Currently the stat gains on all trees are quite high, and will almost definitely be nerfed once I figure out some better balance and focus for how the trees will work as a whole.

This is an incredibly lightweight mod, using entirely vanilla graphics, animations, and sound, as well as adding no extra items, monsters, templates, or rooms. The skill ID's are 5252, 5253, and 5254 for any other modder's reference. Also, it uses eleven, twelve, and thirteen spaces (ie. " ") for dummy skill names, so some skills may not activate properly if you're using other mods with spaced-out skill names.

SKILLS INFO:
    <!-- ******** WARRIOR TRAINING ******** -->
    Strengthen your body and mind through intense training and bacon eating!

Stretches
    It's good to take a Snack'n'Stretch break every once in a while.
    - Eating or drinking gives a small buff for a few turns

Pushups
    When Chuck Norris does pushups, he doesn't push himself up. He pushes the world down.
    - Grants a minor buff on 'good' actions, the better the action the more likely it is to proc (ie. killing an enemy)

You Lift
    'Bro, do you even lift?' Yes. You lift.
    - Stats

Shot for Shot
    That guy just hit you! Are you gonna take that sitting down?!? Yes, you say? Fine, then just punch him back afterward.
    - Chance to retaliate on block

Vive le Resistance!
    You've been hit by every conceivable attack time and again, and are frankly a little tired of it all.
    - Stats, chance for buff on being hit

Fists of Fury
    The only downside to having exploding fists is cleaning up all the little bits afterward...
    - Stats

Unstoppable Rage
    When you get into 'The Zone', there's really no stopping your rampages. Rambo would be proud.
    - Chance to proc a huge, 1-turn buff, which refreshes on a killing blow

Critical Muscle Mass
    Your hulking bulk is the stuff of legend, and your biceps rival those of Gaston and Hercules.
    - Stats, and a large AoE spell that draws enemies and deals damage based on max HP

<!-- ******** ROGUE TRAINING ******** -->
    Sharpen your senses and reflexes to become the ultimate rogue!

Basic Awareness
    You see things that others miss, especially shinies!
    - Chance for extra gold on kills

Stay Back
    The safest place for you to be is out of reach of your enemies. This is preferebly achieved by throwing stuff at them.
    - Slight +recovery, chance to knock/root on throw/shoot, respectively

The Pointy End
    Your fencing master made sure to teach you the basics: Stick them with the pointy end.
    - Chance for bonus damage on crit, scales with crit

No Mind
    Entering into the state of No Mind, your movements begin to flow from one to another, increasing in skill and efficiency as you move.
    - Negative stats, but grants dodge, counter, or crit whenever you dodge, counter, or crit, respectively

Advanced Dungeoneering
    You've snuck in and out of countless dungeons, carefully picking your way around traps and locks. Nothing you find goes to waste.
    - Stats, chance for extra loot on kill

Rogueish Luck
    All rogues get lucky once in a while, but you seem to do it all the time!
    - Stats, a little more shiny finding

Phase Shift
    You've attuned your body to the Aether, and seem to flicker in and out of existence.
    - Small chance to 'phase out' on action taken, short invis + stealth strike, chance to self-proc again after some turns.
    - Activates 'Flow of Time', a tiny buff. Each 'No Mind' proc type (dodge, counter, crit respectively) will upgrade the buff to the next tier.

Illusion of Time
    Time is relative, as well you know. You're becoming better and better at manipulating it to your own ends.
    - Slight +recovery, chance to on attack for large AoE debuff, scaling in power to your 'Flow of Time' buff level. If the final 'Flow of Time' buff is active, will also give the player a massive buff.

<!-- ******** WIZARD TRAINING ******** -->
    Expand your mind and your mana pool with some interesting tricks.

Tap the Aether
    You've studied the Aether, and have a stronger connection to it than most. Sometimes you feel as though you could reach out and touch it.
    - Tiny chance to add/subtract (60/40 chance, respectively) random amount of mana on spellcast

Magical Studies
    Studying books and spells has made your spellcasting more efficient.
    - Stats

Elemental Mastery
    You've mastered the basic elements, granting you their blessings and your enemies their curses.
    - Element-based stats, chance for AoE elemental debuff on cast

Taxing Studies
    All this training and studying makes you thirsty. Why not take a drink to restore your spirits?
    - Stats, gain random amount of mana on drinking

Alchemical Mastery
    The study of alchemy in all its aspects grants you knowledge and power over all its workings.
    - Alchemy-based stats, chance for AoE alchemical debuff on cast

Mana Vortex
    By manipulating the ether, you create a flowing field of mana around yourself, allowing mana to freely flow into and out of you. Be warned, the direction of the field is out of your control!
    - Doubles 'Tap the Aether' proc chance, and grants a spell the does the same effect for several turns

Aethereal Mastery
    The Aethereal plane is like a second home to you. You can control and manipulate the otherworldly with but a thought.
    - Magic-based stats, chance for AoE magical debuff on cast

Unstable Magics
    This dangerous technique involves directly accessing the Aether, pulling through extra magics with every spell cast! Be warned, this will rapidly drain your mana and prevent natural regeneration.
    - Ups chance for 'Tap the Aether' proc, grants a tiny chance to cast a random magical self buff, and gives a spell that throws out random attack spells on every spellcast at the cost of mana for several turns

CHANGELOG:
    Aug. 14, v0.9.9
    - Uploaded the mod
    - Incomplete artwork
    - Imbalanced skills
    - Extra attacks left and right (sometimes up and down)

Aug. 18, v1.0.0
    - Added unique images to each skill and buff
    - Fixed minor typos
    - Balance tweaks

Aug. 19, v1.0.1
    - Fixed (hopefully) Wizard passive procs granting extra attacks
    - Moved triggered spells before their triggers in SpellDB, should result in more procs proccing properly
    - Balance tweaks

Aug. 19, v1.0.2
    - Fixed (actually) Wizard passive procs granting extra attacks
    - Most, if not all, passive buffs now proccing correctly
    - Unstable Rift now works as intended, firing extra spells on every cast!
    - Balance tweaks

Aug. 19, v1.0.3
    - Fixed Flicker properly proccing itself
    - Spelling, comments, and style updates
    - Dodge buffs should be working properly

Aug. 20, v1.0.4
    - Fixed 'Well Stretched' buff not proccing on consumption, changed to foodBuff + boozeBuff
    - Edited some skill descriptions
    - Tested and tweaked Rogue passive procs (No Mind and Flicker), Time Distortion still mostly untested

Aug 28, v1.0.5
    - Updated Warrior skill descriptions and names
    - Stat gains reduced on some skills

Sept 22, v1.0.6
    - Minor skill tweaks
    - 'Ooh Shinies!' hotfix, copied scripts from Bankster skills to fix cash drops

Nov 23, v1.0.7
    - Minor skill tweaks
    - Dropped max stacks on No Mind buffs from 10 to 8
    - Removed double icons for 'Unstable Rift' spell

Jan 15, 2015, v1.1.0
    - Reworked the Flow of Time buffs to work as intended
    - Triggers work individually, have appropriate checks, require correct proc order, and scale fully
    - Changed Flicker to properly self-proc after a set amount of time, instead of randomly proccing for a short time after triggering

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Ysrgrim

Ysrgrim Member

Just a note on this skillset, I would love a little help cleaning up the code and triggers a little. I've made a few Dredmods before, but don't have the code for any of it available as a reference, so I may be doing a few things wrong. In particular, I was wondering about extra effects when hit , and what's possible with these effects (can you retaliate?).

One other question I had was proccing a buff within itself. I have a very short-lived buff that I want to give an 80% chance of happening again in 20 turns every time it procs (that proc can again proc itself). I'm not sure that this is possible since triggered skills have to be put above triggering skills, unless I had a dummy skill that's an exact copy without the recurrence, but that only gives 1 proc chance, and couldn't happen multiple times in a row. My other thought was using a DoT effect to give, say, a 5% chance to proc itself for the next 50 turns, but this again needs to be able to proc itself...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Xsyq

Xsyq Member

Just saw your mod on the steam workshop, I'll give it a try. For the buff I think you'd have the most success if you had two spells: Spell A would be the buff and would apply spell B every time it triggers. Spell B would do nothing for 20 turns then have an 80% chance of triggering spell A. It's pretty easy to do, if you want an example of how to trigger specific spells at specific times look at the code for the Root of T'char. It should be in your steam folder\steamapps\common\dungeons of dreadmor\game\spellDB.xml named "This Root Shall Suffer". Poking around in the game files is a great way to learn modding in general, since it's all in the same format.

4. Ysrgrim

Ysrgrim Member

Thanks for the reply, Xsyq!

As for the self-proccing buff, I didn't think that spell triggers could reference one another, but I believe I was confusing that with spells that trigger within buffs needing to be placed above the buff. Currently it has a small chance to re-proc itself for the next 48 turns, but if I come back to update this mod at some point I'll update it to the intended method of self-proccing.