1.0 Sitting Down for Breakfast

Discussion in 'Design Suggestions' started by berjabih, Nov 7, 2016.

1. berjabih

berjabih Member

Hi was wondering if the colonist will ever find the time to sit down and eat their meals like a proper people they are. I remembered seeing an old screenshot of the game where they actually sit down on a table and eat a hearty steak. So I’m guessing it was removed mid-development due to some difficult bugs. Here’s hoping it will be back.

Also hoping the food distribution can be expanded beyond the current one, which basically is just dumping the cooked meals onto the stock piles where the hungry masses will gather and eat whatever they can get their hands on first. Perhaps it can be stocked into the Public House, and the colonist can sit there and eat instead of just boozing.

Cheshire, Samut and Exile like this.
  2. Unforked

Unforked Member

I remember they used to sit and eat back in the very beginning of earliest access. It caused some problems for some reason I can't recall. I think, maybe, colonists were too obsessed with sitting... so other things didn't get done? This is all a haze now.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Cthulhu_Awaits, Exile and berjabih like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Member

Would be nice if they could eat at the tables in their houses too!
    Definitely incentivises building a larger/nicer house rather than just a sleeping area for the Colonists.

berjabih likes this.
  4. Back in the Good Ol' Days I used to fill the houses with tables and chairs (they were distinct modules, not a set as it is now) for the colonists to sit and eat!

I saw another game on the village-management style in which the villagers bring food from the warehouses to the singular houses in which they are consumed. Here, colonists have much complex behaviours, but a similar system could be implemented: cooked food could be stored (I don't know if it could be done with the actual item system, because items are a really complicated entities in this game, as the item-stacking taught me) in houses or in the Public House in which people could go to eat.

Exile, Cheshire and berjabih like this.
  5. berjabih

berjabih Member

My thoughts exactly! Plus, more depth for strategy in terms of laying out the colony.

That definitely sounds like the Cultures/Northland series. Had a great time playing it, I remembered if the villagers got married, the wives would make sure their homes are stocked with food.

Exile and Cheshire like this.
  6. mcnostril

mcnostril "The First To Crash"

I was hoping this would be included in the public house, so it can serve both booze and foods; have something like the kegs, a pantry module or some such, that would allow colonists to eat and drink at the same time when being served (so they'd play both animations I guess?). It would make colonies more efficient since colonists could eat and drink in the same time allotment, but it would also require bigger/better public houses to deal with the increased demand.
    Plus it would give slightly more control over which foods get eaten since you could choose what to stock (assuming they'd work like the kegs do with the service selection).
    I guess I'd like to see a use for the house tables, but I wouldn't mind if it was just the public house. It just feels odd to have people eating off the ground like Savages and not like Proper Civilized Folk.

Exile, Cheshire and berjabih like this.
  7. chawpped

chawpped Member

I've never felt like this was strange, but that's likely because I still haven't built a proper civilized town yet. Most of my towns are starving, or crazed, or bloodied by heinous wars, or under siege by some monstrous entities. So eating like a savage fit in pretty well. Once my town evolves into the place of proper civilization, it would be nice if my townfolk could class it up when they were eating.