Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Aegho

Aegho Member

Here's a mod-heavy one that's easy to play. It revolves around maximizing melee passive aoe. Particularly mutant/war weaver combo.

Burglary
    Tinkering
    Dual Wield
    Mutant (glow in the dark)
    War Weaver (blazing weave)
    Avening Executioner
    Battle Geology (basalt skin)

Bonus: you're one-shotting floor 1 from the start.

2. mining

mining Member

Kung Fu has one too, which might be worth using.

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

You have to get to level 6 in it before you can use it, though, and he looks like his build is made to maximize them early. If you were 100% focused, though, you could totally swap out tinkering for Kung Fu (carroty stance casts Tactical Pyre on the surrounding squares when hit) and Burglary for Poisoneer (capstone level drops mad Toxic damage and a stacking Toxic Resistance debuff on surrounding squares when hit.)

:)

Edit: just remembered that level 4 Kung Fu (blobby stance) also has a passive AoE proc -- it drops Strong Acid mines (6 Acid damage/turn fixed) when hit. Good at low levels.

Also, because it's funny, this theoretical build should be devastating (to your inventory):

Kung Fu (blobby stance to steal stuff from enemies, gnome stance for early traps)
    Perception (Lucky Find, long distance throwing)
    Smithing (dual shields, mad throwing weapons, a smidge more trap affinity)
    Unarmed (adds dmg to thrown weapons)
    Practical Geology (fun tools, early game Stone Fist for added thrown damage)
    Killer Vegan (mad buffs, extra :dmg_righteous: for thrown weapons, mitigate inventory disaster)
    Clockwork Knight (more ingots, more Smithing, touch of Tinkering for backup crossbow shots.)

Between Kung Fu and Perception, you should have no shortage of random fun drops. Lots of fun synergy here - cast Stone Fist on your charmed animal pets, use Petrified enemies as short-term walls to block zoos because you can throw right through them, and the defenses from Perception, dual shields, Killer Vegan, and Practical Geology are huge.

4. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

The wand polisher or One with Aehter
    • Unarmed Combat
    • Berserker Rage
    • Magic Training
    • Wand Lore
    • Rogue Scientist
    • Burglary
    • Perception
    Basically the build is meant to power up the Aetheric Death Ray. Wand Lore, Rogue Scientist, and Magic Training all power up the death ray very well. Magic training gives you mana regen to cast the death ray multiple times. Also due to magic training the build can use tomes and wands pretty well. Berserker gives you a massive AA bonus so you don't need heavy armor. Unarmed+Wand Lore makes ranged weapons very deadly. Perception helps to make get the material needed to make more wands, healing potions, and bolts. Burglary gives you a teleport skill that you can use in case of a discharge.

5. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Interesting build but wouldnt Piracy be better than perception if the goal is to find wand materials? :)

6. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Thank you. However perception it isn't just the wands. It also gives you Aqua Vitae, Steel Ingots, Plastic Ingots, healing potions, mana potions, purity potions and more. I tried the build a bit and it was extremely weak at the start of the game and need a massive amount of levels. Here is the current build I'm trying

• Unarmed Combat
    • Archaeology
    • Fungal Art
    • Wand Lore
    • Rogue Scientist
    • Burglary (this most replaceable skill)
    • Perception
    More healing, a summon for the start of the game, insane amount of invisible for getaways, and quicker leveling to get you to that sweet 10+ level spot.

7. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Most Dodge

• Artful Dodging
    • Perception
    • Killer Vegan
    • Burglary
    • Thrown
    • Unarmed
    • Archaeology
    As much dodge as I could cram without mods. Aside from the highlight of mad dodging skills the build also has 2 teleports, very fast experience gain, knockback for enemies and item islands, more trap sight and sense than you can shake a stick at, and 40% of the monsters in the game will ignore you.

I'm level 11 with 49 dodge so far, most of it from skills. Hoping to get 100 by the end of the run. *fingers crossed* My only worry with this build is the lack of healing, but with this much avoidance I don't see it being too big of an issue.

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Why thrown? Wouldn't you better off with Fungal?

9. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Actually in retrospect, many things would work better than thrown, since it's damage buffs and procs aren't all that impressive and the usefulness of throw monster is overshadowed by the teleports. I took it without thinking simply because it had a touch of dodge in it (A mere 2) and I was excited about maximizing dodge.

So yeah, Fungal would be a much more viable choice, especially since it adds healing on top of it's myrriad other benefits. I simply have this habit of overlooking it due to my crafting tendencies, since fungal adds significant inventory bloat, but that wouldn't be an issue here.

10. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Dodge, Perception, Burglary, Archeology, and Vegan are all totally solid.

For the last two I might consider Crossbow + Tinkering - for more Rogue levels and thus more :nimbleness:. Thrown weapons (I'm a big fan, if you look at my other comments) really need a high :melee_power: to work well, which generally means maximizing :burliness:. But the clever introduction of Unarmed and Killer Vegan actually means that your warrior levels are pretty solid - so on second thought I think your original selections are pretty strong.

One other thing to consider is Piracy - because Mists of the Corsair gives a (brief) +20 dodge, which would easily put you over 100 for those times when you really need it.

11. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Vampirism have a +50 dodge skill ;). You lose a lot of damage and some AA but if you could get over 120+ dodge I doubt anything could hit you.

12. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

My new build: Throwing, Leylines, Burglary, Archaeology, Smithing, Ninjitsu, Wind Magic.

Throw ALL the things!

OmniNegro and Marak like this.
  13. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I would replace smithing with Killer Vegan for more :melee_power: and :dmg_righteous:. You aren't going to run of throwing items with Ninjitsu anyway.

14. FaxCelestis

I have a really hard time playing vegan, and I have a really hard time not taking a crafting skill.

15. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I'm actually working on some "tryhard" builds because I keep dying to pure and simple carelessness, so I'm through playing interesting and I want to fucking win for once. I have played a frankly embarrassing amount of hours without even beating Dwarven Moderation despite having a really sweet run several of those times and dying to my own amazing stupidity.

I would love help with these.

Here's one tryhard build that seems to be pretty amazing:
    Maces
    Dual wield
    Berserk
    Vegan
    Demonology
    Archaeology
    Piracy/Smithing/Burglary/Assassination

Take level 2 in maces for the knockback. Get level 2 archaeology because it's so game breaking. Max out Vegan for the stats and the purity trick. Get level 3 in demonology because holy shit dat circle of protection. Get level 3 in berserk. Now you are amazingly tanky. Go for Maces 4 for the knockback attack. Finish Demonology. With this build I accidentally pissed off Brax, SLAUGHTERED ALL THE COLLECTOR DEMONS, then died to one of their insanely deadly purple clouds after they were all dead.

The final skill I dunno about. Piracy has some cool stuff but this character already has tons of places to put levels. Assassination has one of the most amazing level 1 skills in the game. Burglary is Burglary. Smithing gets you cool things but whenever I take a crafting skill I find that I NEVER end up using or needing it...

Here's my dual-staffer, which I'm sure everyone has flirted with at some point.
    Staff
    Dual Wield
    Berserk
    Necro
    Psi
    Astro
    Blood

Get Staff 2, Psi 2, and Berserk 2 to survive early. Now get some Necro, however much you feel like. Max berserk and staves when you feel like it.

Here's my pure wizard.
    Promethean
    Math
    Emo
    Psi
    Blood
    Alchemy
    Archaeology

The first thing you should do is get level 2 of psi for the push. Then get however much Promethean you feel like, but at one point get level 2 of emo for the purity trick. That's all you need to know. Now that Blood isn't insanely overpowered any more, perhaps replace Math or Psi with mage training.

16. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

First one
    • Dual Wield
    • Berserker Rage
    • Master of Arms
    • Burglary
    • Archaeology
    • Fungal Art
    • Smithing
    Second one
    • Dual Wield
    • Staff
    • Emomancy
    • Burglary
    • Archaeology
    • Viking Wizardary
    • Blood Magic
    Third one.
    Checked out Emoette earlier in this thread.

17. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Going for dedicated weapon skills is risky because of the insane random drops you find later on. If you invest 6 points into Maces, finding a sword with +50 damage will mean you either effectively lose 6 levels of Mace skill or miss out on an amazing weapon. Hence, Dualwielding > any weapon skill imo.

18. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I don't quite agree with this. With dualwielding + a weapon skill, you only need one of your weapons to be of your invested type - so finding an amazing weapon of a different type doesn't totally negate your weapon skills.

Another important consideration - Warrior skill levels. To be a big tanky melee type, you really need to max out your :burliness: and thus :melee_power:. Too many trick skills like Fungal, Archaeology, etc mess up that relationship. I absolutely agree that Burglary, Fungal Arts, and Archaeology are amazing skills - but taking all three of them makes your warrior build much less warrior-y overall.

*Maces
    *Dual wield
    *Berserk
    *Vegan
    *Smithing

These are great skills, and do a great job of making your character a fearsome heavy-hitting meatshield. Your last two were

Demonology
    Archaeology

Which are fine skills, but they don't necessarily synergize with your other skills a perfectly as they might. If you were to adjust anything in your build, I'd look there first. Big Game Hunter gives a warrior-level path to extra EXP (slightly tricky with vegan, but not at all impossible - either use baseballs to land the killing blow, or just kill animals and deal with the debuffs for a while). Master of Arms and Shield-Bearer give great health and regen bonuses (Shield Bearer is actually better at this - even if you are dual-wielding!). You lack an escape method - Piracy or Burglary would do pretty well in that respect. You also don't have any dedicated healing... which you can work around by really focusing on :block:, but taking Psionics might be the simpler route.

19. FaxCelestis

Disagree. You don't need a lot of :burliness: to dish out a lot of melee damage. You need a good weapon and buff spells that give you damage or :melee_power:, preferably both (like Power of Magic Steel). Case in point:
    [​IMG]

No warrior levels, 44:burliness:, but deals 96 damage (across nearly every damage type) plus 61:melee_power:. Not pictured: Power of Magic Steel, Syzygy, Hand of Belimawr, Abyssal Fires, Fervor of the Flagellant, Holy Sword (Inquisitor mod).

Disagree again. Demonology is hands-down one of the best (if not the best) non-warrior skill for warriors. Celestial Circle all but renders you immune to corruption, which means you can tank that Magic Golem/Magic Dragon/Blob of Corruption-filled zoo without worrying about having to get new gear afterwards. Plus it comes with a stack of block and pretty spectrumized resists. Fervor of the Flagellant is like Berserker Jr., and Abyssal Fires is essentially free AoE damage. And the general raw utility of Turn Demon is unsurpassed: short cooldown, no :mana: cost, AoE knockback is perfect for island artifacts, finding breakable walls, or getting monsters off of you in a crisis. If you're surrounded, you can even target it at your feet to push monsters off of you in all directions.

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Ok, I am seriously impressed by this. Your Burliness alone accounts for just 13:melee_power:. Power of Magic Steel, Hand of Belimawr, and 4x Fervor of the Flagellant provide at best another 7:melee_power:. That means you have 41 additional :melee_power: through equipment - mostly Krong? Only those belt and boots provide and direct bonuses - but I'm not familiar with all the equipment you have there.

At that sort of power level, your skills are actually almost not even important. You've even got 42:armor_asorb: coming from who-knows where?

However, I don't think this sort of equipment-port actually sways my argument much. If your equipment is so good that your base skills don't even matter - that's not much of an argument for which skills to select.

Holy crap - you even have 14:trap_level: and buffed out Tinker gear without any :tinkerer:. Your endgame appears to be far, far different from my own.