Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I was having fun with

Can't Touch this:
    Staves (+18 block, +2 counter, +10 magic resist)
    Dual Wield (+15 counter, +4 block)
    Artful Dodger (+19 dodge and teleport)
    Perception (+15 dodge, +2 trap affinity, healing potions)
    Rogue Scientist (make healing and mana potions)
    Emomancy (Healing, and anti-magic cloud)

+34 dodge, +22 block, +17 counter, and +10 magic resist without stats or equipment.

2. Marak

Marak Member

Staves and not Maces? How are you going to be true to your build with a Warhammer and Parachute Pants if your only weapon skill is Staves?

Son, I am disappoint.

3. mining

mining Member

Yah, and warhammer is an easy one to make :)

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think it's more about the stun-granting skill from staves. I might be wrong with that, though.

5. Marak

Marak Member

Don't think game mechanics, think MC Hammer references.

6. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Yeah its totally for the stun and block chance. The block helps too when an attack does get through. Also the extra magic power for healing is nice.

7. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Here is new build that I am having a lot of fun with

Modded Can't Touch This:
    Dual Wield (+15 counter, +2 block)
    Artful Dodger (+19 dodge, teleport, proc on dodge)
    Perception (+15 dodge +5 counter)
    Ninjitsu (+11 dodge, +2 counter, +2 block, +2 magic resist, invisible on dodge)
    Bushido (+8 dodge, +10 magic resist, +5 magic reflect and healing)
    Kung Fu (+15 dodge, +5 counter )
    Inquisitor (+15 magic resist, +15 magic reflect, healing, anti-magic)

+68 Dodge, +25 counter, +27 magic resist, +20 magic reflect, and +4 block. This time I can totally use that warhammer :cool:. You could go Unarmed and dual wield mirror shields (extra +8 dodge and over 100% magic reflect), but I didn't think of that until just now.

Edit: I had great luck on this build and got little too cocky and died not paying attention on floor 4. I had 74 dodge at the time, but I had -7 nimbleness due to equip so it could get up to 77 dodge. I also had 18 AA and many great exotic resist. It was pretty fun to dodge 4/5 hits out of the time and which I would stun the enemy and turn invisible which allowed me to run away and hit with ranged.

Essence likes this.
  8. Aegho

Aegho Member

Mad Scientist aka Bomb Maker and Wand Shaker aka Inventory Hater:

Burglary
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Rogue Scientist
    Clockwork Knight
    Wand Lore
    Mechanic (Mod. If running unmodded, pick one of archeology, demonology, smithing or unarmed).

You'll be able to craft so much stuff, that inventory space will definitely be a problem. CK has very nice abilities, haven't tried RS that much yet... but the idea is that all that tinkering/alchemy/wand lore will boost your rogue scientist abilities. Best played as weapon&tome or dual tome, soften enemies up with any number of ranged attacks(you can make so much crossbow bolts, throwing weapons, and wands that you're spoiled for choice) and you're hardly useless in melee either.

9. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm just starting this one, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness, but in theory this will be a hella fun all-wizard build:

Runecaster
    Ley Line Walker
    Magic Training
    Blood Magic
    Mana Mastery
    Wild Magic
    Degree in Dungeoneering

It's basically "Browz! Take ALL The Mana!" plus Runes with a side order of Practical Magic for emergencies. With 2 teleports (Invisible Geometries + Saved By The Bell) that can be used even if I don't have the right stuff to craft a runic version, an cubic metric ass-tonne of trigger-on-cast effects from the useful (Thaumaturgic Conflux) to the zany (all of Wild Magic), and even a single direct-damage nuke (Mana Mastery's 2nd level missile), this is going to be casting at it's most ridiculous.

When this character dies, I'm totally trying again with Burglary instead of Degree in Dungeoneering. :)

10. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I've been refining my I Hate My Inventory build. This is it's current incarnation:
    • Alchemy
    • Archaeology
    • Clockwork Knight
    • Perception (LUCKY FIND IS SO BOSS FOR CRAFTERS ESSENCE I WANT TO HAVE YOUR DIGLETS)
    • Rogue Scientist
    • Smithing
    • Tinkering

Between Lucky Find, Salvage Ooze, and Tech Scavenge, I am basically being showered in components all the time.

TheJadedMieu and Essence like this.
  11. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I just finished a run with my "Indecisive" build. The point was to be a generalist, with a special focus on extra XP. I also wanted to use Shield Bearer with decent magic skill - to use the bash offensively.

Shield Bearer
    Psionicist
    Magic Training
    Burglary
    Archeology
    Big Game Hunter
    Emomancy

As you might imagine, this was a rough build to start. No offensive options pretty much means you use your food, and pray for a good weapon and/or arrow trap to kill enemies with.
    The big news is that the crazy XP from lockpicking everything + Archeology + BGH was enough to get me to level 7.5 before I left floor 1. That was pretty insane. I abused Shove a modest amount - especially in the zoo I fought on level 3!
    Bash did indeed turn out to be pretty good - though it's still nothing close to a good weapon skill. I found an artifact bearded axe on level 4, which suddenly made my damage awesome. Psionicist spells are just dirt cheap, so I was setting everything on fire for a good couple of floors, before I got the chemical explosion + Magic Power up to 25.

12. Marak

Marak Member

My latest (no mods) build:

Ultimate Glass Cannon
    • Burglary (in one of my builds? Inconceivable!)
    • Necronomiconoimoinoninoionimoinecinomics (for obvious reasons)
    • Astrology (no skill investment, all you need is Radiant Aura for the :resist_nercomatic: and :sight:)
    • Promethian Magic (so you can kill it with Fire; also Pet Dragon > Floors 1-3)
    • Emomancy (I couldn't call her Emoette XVI without this; also The Cure and Chemical Explosion)
    • Blood Magic (because Red Wizards and a mana-on-kill-even-melee-and-bolt-kills ability are too good to pass up)
    • Ley Walker (you ain't a Glass Cannon unless you can get your regen up to 1/turn on Going Rogue; also Teleport)
    You will note that I practice what I preach and include both a Healing Skill (Emomancy; The Cure) and a Teleport Skill (Ley Walker; Invisible Geometries OR Burglary; Move in a Mysterious Way).

Hardest part of this build? Surviving the first three floors, especially on Going Rogue. Early on you're trying to kill things exclusively with Deathly Hex and (LOLOLOLOL) Dragon's Breath. Not easy. Plus you pretty much have to spend your first point on Lucky Pick or you're missing out on the ideal time to be getting all that bonus Lockpick'd XP from Burglary. At least the single point of :resist_nercomatic: from Radiant Aura keeps the debuff(s) from Deathly Hex from damaging you; just watch out for Lingering Weakness - if you spam the Hex too much your Max Health can get very, very low. Once you have The Cure, this is less of an issue.

Once you get going, however (roundabouts Level 12 or 13), you'll find that you have all the tools you need to kill pretty much anything, and from up to 8-10 squares away (the bonus :sight: from Radiant Aura is not to be underestimated). Spam Gog's Tactical Pyre on everything. If it's unimpressed by fire, use Deathly Hex and Nightmare Curse. If it's immune to both of those somehow, fire off some Bolts, or summon your Wyrmling. Did an invisible monster creep up on you? Use Invisible Geometries or Love Will Teleport Us Apart. Running low on Mana after spamming Obvious Fireball? No big deal, pop Thaumaturgic Tap. Did you just open up a Monster Zoo? Awesome; free XP! Summon your Wyrmling, back up 3-4 squares, commence Fireball/Exploding Rune/Tactical Pyre spam. Once you have the Rift, well, Zoos become a simple, three-step process: open door; use Invisible Geometries; spam Rift.

Gear suggestions:

Early on, try to get ahold of a Little Black Book. They're fairly common and the extra :resist_nercomatic: will help your resistances keep up with your :magic_power:. During the "Promethian Phase" (Levels 3-10), swapping that out for a Burning Tome (+1 :resist_conflagratory:) isn't a terrible idea. Other than that, I suggest the squishiest, most :magic_power:-buffing gear you can find. If it lowers your :sagacity: or :nimbleness: or :magic_power: or :mana_regen:, I won't wear it. Look for Mage's Robes (in all their incarnations) and the best Orbs you can find - :magic_power: and :mana_regen: are important to keep your damage output up, particularly on Going Rogue. If you can't find a piece of gear with mage-y stats, go for Rogue gear - :sneakiness: never hurts since your :trap_level: is going to suck past Floor 3 or so, plus it helps to keep monsters from noticing you (until you set them alight). Eventually you should be dual-weilding Orbs (Orbs of Nothing are amazing if you can find them) with armor pieces along the line of the Crown of Yellow, uber Mage Robes, a Blue Wizard's Belt, Magic Sandals, Pyromancer's Gauntlets, and the like.

Recomended Skill progression:
    • Burglary - Lucky Pick
    • Promethian - Exploding Rune (so you have a real attack spell)
    • Promethian - Summon Wyrmling (so you can hide behind him for the next 2-3 Floors)
    • Emomancy - The Cure (for those "oh shit!" moments, also cleansing Acid Burn)
    • Promethian - Obvious Fireball (for AoE and enough :resist_conflagratory: to be mostly immune to Fireballing yourself in the face by accident)
    • Ley Walker - Thaumaturgic Tap (better than booze!)
    • Ley Walker - Conduit (yeah, I know, it's meh)
    • Ley Walker - Channeller (whee, slightly more mana, at least you're getting some :mana_regen: too)
    • Ley Walker - Invisible Geometries (with Ley Walker maxed you'll have enough regen that mana is now mostly a non-issue; more importantly, you now have your Teleport Skill so clearing Zoos with Promethian spells and Squid Bolts becomes super-easy)
    • Now put all your points into Necronomiconoimoinoninoionimoinecinomics until it's maxed out at Tenebrous Rift (I should hope the reasons for this are obvious)
    • Congratulations, you can now nuke anything down. Spend your remaining points where you like. Suggestions: pump up Blood Magic for the Phylactery and more mana/kill; or, go for Mark of the Black Eyeliner in Emomancy.
    EDIT: so squishy. Here is Emoette XVI without her Emerald Set Gold Ring...

[​IMG]

Warrior levels... who needs 'em?

Gotta watch out for them Snow Baals, one good crit and that's all she wrote...
    Still a really fun build, it simply requires watching your Health bar like a hawk. ;)

Edit #2: Build now playtested for viability. Going Rogue, Permadeath, RotDG, had time to grind.

[​IMG]

I think the build is viable. ;)

stress, Kazeto and Essence like this.
  13. Megaron

Megaron Member

I've been using a simple build for a Tanky Mage, which relies on buffs (well, two of them at any rate) and firepower (pardon the pun) to do his job:
    -Fleshsmithing*
    -Promethean Magic^
    -Master of Arms*
    -Mathemagics^
    -Alchemy/Wandcrafting**
    -Ley Walker
    -Dual Wield

Skills marked with a * are essential to the build. The skill marked with ** can be either/or; Alchemy provides greater buffs and instant recovery, and Wandcrafting provides greater utility and firepower. Skills marked with ^ are replaceable by any offensive wizard skill. Dual Wielding is my filler, put anything you want there.
    I would say Necronomiconomics isn't compatible with this tree, since the whole point is to be burly.

For skill order, get right away Beklam's, then get Leyline Siphoning, then Suit Up, then rush Knit Tissue edit: if you're running RC or are in the future and are playing with YHTNTEP, rush meatshield instead--from there on you'll want more firepower, so take a level in either Promethean or Mathemagics. Then, go crazy. I usually go for Xeuclid's right away.

Usually, you'll want to skip shields until you find one that either boosts or doesn't penalize your magic power or mana/regen. Once you found something suitable, however, an orb and a shield, one on each hand, will work. Armor will be a mess, too, until you find the armored robes deeper down. As a note: You start with no weapons here, so you might want to use Dragon's Breath in melee till then.

14. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

My new favorite modded build is Alchemy, Tinkering, Rogue Scientist, Bushido, War Weaver, Blood Knight, Burglary. I have a directed teleport, good thrown weapons, can handle traps and make clockwork items, rogsci's alchemy fuel from salvage ooze, acidical projector, and gas canister, good defenses from bushido, don't have to worry about mana due to war weaver, and blood knight keeps me healthy.

15. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

You might want to add killer vegan in there somewhere. Tons of extra health and no animals will attack you ( octo, eely, and muscle diggles). Also extra melee damage is nice.

16. Megaron

Megaron Member

I myself don't like Killer Vegan, but that's definitely an option.

17. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I liked this idea of this build so I made my own remake

• Berserker Rage
    • Clockwork knight- Get enough smithing for Emerald ring, tin rings and nail board mk2. Also with tinker goggles can make 11 bolts out of one ingot. Plus 2 teleports
    • Demonlogy
    • Piracy
    • Dual Wielding
    • Inquistor- Great defense buff, great anti-magic debuff, +1 all exotic resist, and healing.
    • Archaeology

FaxCelestis likes this.
  18. Aegho

Aegho Member

Aside from infuriating inventory issues, and needing multiple trips to move my drop pile every time I go down a floor... I'm really enjoying my latest craft heavy build.

Burglary
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Wand Lore
    Clockwork Knight
    Rogue Scientist
    Mechanic

It's very stable/powerful, from quite early on. I've got lucky pick, mechanics to work work, maxed clockwork knight and rogue scientist to acid projector so far. I've already crafted stuff that requires 7 tinkering... Wearing nice heavy armor, wielding a mace of windu, a bolt eruptor as my crossbow... generally one-shotting stuff in melee, and a lot of stuff with crossbow too.

19. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Just finished a random run which gave me a pretty stunningly interesting skill set:

Axes
    Berserker Rage
    Promethean Magic
    Fungal Arts
    Alchemy
    Wand Lore
    Killer Vegan

Grabbed Animal Friend ASAP, then put a point into Fungal Arts (two pets at a time!), 2 more into Killer Vegan (+5:dmg_righteous: damage - even on thrown!), another point into Fungal, and then maxed out Alchemy.

As a vegan, I was able to offset some of the horrible inventory problems caused by Alchemy + Wand Lore by grinding / Lute-cubing all my meat and cheese. I kept 3 stacks of fruit - never ate any for health. Started switching out my mushrooms to stock up on Inky + Fairywodgers, but I'd distill any nightcaps into Aqua Vitae. Since the much-needed Alchemy Nerf, I've found a ready supply of Aqua Vitae to be hard to come by - but now I know that Fungal Arts fills that niche nicely!

I was able to make a fruit staff by DL4, and that's when things became really silly. Vegans + Fruit Staff with alchemy is just sick. I decided to focus on coral, fire and deciduous wands, and gems were really the only limiting factor. If only I'd had piracy - I could have been a really viable wand-crafter, which is a pretty novel concept to me. I was really surprised how well this random build worked! I finally died at DL9, mostly due to my decision to just stand at the monster zoo door and kill everything with bombs and mushroom balls. (As with my other throw builds, I find that Killer Vegan makes thrown weapons - especially low base-damage thrown weapons just awesome!)

Essence likes this.
  20. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

Gentlemen, I present the best gimmick build of all time. Behold: the digglepire!

Werediggle
    Vampirism
    Viking Magic
    Assassination
    Burglary
    Archaeology
    Alchemy

Alchemy provides you with the out-of-combat healing that vampires desperately need, and also turns your eggs into delicious brimstone flasks and diggle nog (useful for when you need to be a diggle for extended periods.) Werediggle gives huge amounts of defense, especially in the painful early stages of the game. Assassination and Viking Magic both have very, very useful starter skills that work in diggle form so that you can power through the first few levels without having to spend skill points; later, once you get around to leveling them up you'll be getting a fair number of procs from both of them. Burglary and Archaeology provide badly needed experience to get crucial early levels faster, and help you get around traps (the bane of a vampire's existence, since unlike monsters you can't eat their corpse to recoup the damage they do.)

Vampirism... does vampire things. Psychic Vampire can fuel your viking buffs on its own, letting you convert all of your booze into Aqua Vitae, and Sparkly Glamour is a fantastic way to get a breather with some free healing thrown in: once you get through the werediggle and vampire trees (up to Psychic Vampire, you probably don't have much use for Transylvation) the basic rhythm for zoos usually involves weredigglin' until your diggle form expires, using your diggle invisibility on the last turn to stall, then triggering Sparkly Glamour when invisibility runs out in order to top off your health and stun everything around you. By the time the sparkly stun wears off, werediggle's cooldown should just about be done.

Essence and Marak like this.