Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Frelus

Frelus Member

Werediggle fully depends on your build.
    If you build around it, it can rock hard.
    If you do not.... bye, Diggleman. Nice having known you...

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I've decided to make a QiGong master out of face-destroyingly overpowered things. There are a lot of skills out there that are just as obnoxiously OP as Promethean, and this build's going to pull out all the stops.

QiGong is interesting because it gives a purify and three ranged attacks that scale to burliness, as well as a little bit of melee power, but none of the things that melee characters are actually hurting for, like magic resist and knockback. Either way, Qi Blasts deal a lot of damage and help warriors with things that they're normally bad at--kiting things that are too strong for them and raining death on the chicken mobs in zoos. It scales to Burliness, so it seems like the best path is to stack Burliness--thanks to QiGong, burliness makes us better warriors *and* increases the damage of our ranged blasting.

I said I was going for stupidly overpowered, so I'm obviously taking Vegan. This is going to give me tons of burliness on top of being completely overpowered in every single way. I'm not sure if I need the capstone, because I'm already going to have Open Meridians.

Personally, I like builds that lack weapon skills. Why would I want to run a build that strongly discourages me from using some of the craziest stuff I find? As such, I intend to use either Unarmed or Dual Wield (but again with no weapons.) Dual Wielding with no weapon skills is actually pretty amusing--you just grab whatever two things look the shiniest and swing them as blunt instruments. There is a route here I haven't tried yet: Dual Wield + Sword so that my off-hand item can be whatever I want.

Archaeology should speak for itself. This is going to help me get my build going early, because I don't normally play GRPD because I'm bad about stepping on traps.

There are a couple of routes from here, then.

Dual, Berserk, Bloodknight, Bushido will make me a typical berserk tank. I'll be able to wear heavy armor with total impunity, not that I'll actually need it with all that free armor. Hopefully, Chests of Evil will give me weapons that are scary enough to make up for my lack of weapon skills or nuke-tastic capstone trick. Much as I like how hardcore this build stacks stats, it lacks any knockback or teleport and is going to have to rely on things like gin, puffballs, stone wands, handy wands, and Charlemagne.

Unarmed, Barrier Maiden, Warlock, Leylines will make me a gish. The idea here is that I can wear wizard armor thanks to Barrier Maiden being overpowered, plus I get to use Warlockery which is IMO a must-have wonderskill that is OP for anyone who's even slightly gishy. The focus of this build actually shifts from QiGong to Barrier, with QiGong sticking around as easy access to ranged blasting, which Maidens and Warlocks can't do. Barrier Maiden is a cool skill, but its capstone is mind-blowingly OP. It's almost as good as Radiant Wizard's capstone, and on a lucky roll of the RNG it's a lot better. All kinds of things about Barrier Maiden are stupidly OP. This build is almost definitely too booze-dependant. Perhaps if we hoard bananas or snag a lucky crafter's manual we can hoard sewer brew and cider or something.

Polearm, Piracy, Drunken, Wrestlemancy This is so obviously and hilariously unfair that I'm going to try this on its own, without the QiGong

Clockwork, RogueSci, Tinkering, and Alchemy gives me the rocket fist, the rocket jump, the sonic blast, the acid spray, and rust potions. All I'm missing is a debuff remov--oh wait. The stats here aren't really what I want, but at least this gives me the bag of tools I want. In my experience the need for such tricks can be mitigated by resource management (judicious use of potions for example) once you've got a decent collection of crap in your bag, and that's an important decision for me to make because this build does not give me the hilariously cheesy stacking effects of the others.

I've never beaten the game before and I do not normally play on GRPD but this build definitely deserves to be played on GRPD, since I'm trying to twink the hell out of it.

Mods that I consider overpowered that I haven't mentioned here:
    Sweeney Todd, Sailor-Senshi, Little Pony, Ace Attorney, THE MILKMAN MY MILK IS DELICIOUS. Also Paladinner but that's an odd one; unreliable huge buffs for consuming a resource that is sitting around everywhere is cool but it doesn't really encourage me to abuse it.

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Moar ideas:

Ace Attorney (which is what I call Star Lawyer) is interesting. I had a bit of a debate with the author over how powerful it is, because it can pretty much pwn anything in the first half of the game without any kind of issues. he said that on GRPD it's not overpowered because Hold It while amazingly deadly isn't a one skill wonder to keep you alive when you're in over your head. This is true; it has a decent cooldown and is single-target. The tree also has some other cool stuff in it, so I've made this build, to unleash two kinds of highly specific ranged death with a rather crazy amount of utility and defensive tricks:

Star Lawyer, Laser Surgery, Wild Magic, Archaeology, Tourist. That's three wizard skills--probably enough to make lasers and Wild Surges nuke everything--and no Warrior levels which means perfect scaling on Star Lawyer's early Hold It and uber-deadly capstone. Skills I'm considering for the rest include Galactic Hitchhiker, Scoundrel, and I dunno what else--I'm not going to have any mana available, ever, so anything that requires mana for its best tricks is out of the question. If not for that little detail, Little Pony would definitely be there for the horn blast and Sonic Rainboom. Almost everything, even Hitchhiker and Scoundrel, have parts about them that discourage me from taking them because they won't click perfectly into this build. And I like builds that click perfectly in every single way.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Wild Magic will absolutely kill you if you use *ANY* magic anywhere near wherever a Brax is located. Be prepared for that sad fate.

5. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I actually have a character on Dlvl 8 who has a chance to proc Wild Magic by swinging her sword... she hasn't had trouble with hitting Brax with a Wild Surge yet. Technically, I could be careful about it, but as is, the chance of proccing the damage dealing surge while just swatting wandering monsters is sufficiently low.

6. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

To be fair, I've made some changes to the mod, namely dropping the scaling on Hold it! to 0.5-0.6*savvy, Evidence stacking only three times to give it a better feel of a resource (and also because now players can better see how much they have with the new buff stacking), and the starting blue lawyer suit only giving 1 armour.

One of the problems with scaling to savvy is that you get a decent amount at the beginning, but the growth isn't too stellar. I'll see what I can do about bringing Hold It! more in line. It's still intended to be extremely powerful against single targets, but hopefully it won't be TOO breaking with some tweaks.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Frandarre

Frandarre Member

I don't know if it's good at all, but I used this build the last 10 times I've played (and failed).

Daggers
    Dual Wield
    Archaelogy
    Artful Dodger
    Clockwork Knight
    Smithing
    Tinkering

I could hear some advice.

8. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

It's really not bad at first glance. Anybody playing Daggers is usually all about getting melee immune (counter + dodge combined for well over 100, or counter at 100+) or as close to it as possible. Arch provides XP boosts and a nice dodge/counter hat, Tinkering has an amazing +dodge boots encrust (but you really won't reap the benefits from that until later-ish in the game).

What you are kind of lacking are an early game carry, and some healing/defensive outs. Dodger has the teleport, but by itself that might not be enough. I'd consider dropping Smithing, it doesn't really fit in a rogue-ish dodge/counter melee build. Fungal Arts would be a great substitute. It can carry your early game (pet), and it provides TONS of consumables (heals and invis being the most useful ones). It also is a rogue skill, so you get more dodge/counter by leveling it.

I generally advise if playing Daggers to make getting the defensive stance a priority as early as possible (possibly delaying only for getting a point in Piracy and/or a point in Fungal). It's just that good.

Another strong option would be Piracy combined with Magical Law. A single point in Piracy helps your early game TONS, and late game when you get Magical Law maxed out you can literally be 100+ counter chance any time you want to be. ML also gives you a silence for making Dred/Digula both stupidly easy (assuming they can't melee you, which if you have Swashbuckling up is true).

9. Noxor

Noxor Member

Perharps someone posted such a character - I didn't read all of the 55000 posts.

Here a very archetype lich character which is difficult in the beginning but at DLVL10 you might clear a big zoo(100+) within 15 turns.

Buildname : "Epic Lich of DCBA" (DCBA=Death/Chemical/Biological/Atomar)

-Unarmed
    -Vampire
    -Fleshsmithing
    -Necronomiconomics
    -Magic Training
    -Leywalker
    -Wandlore

-LVL2: 1 point in fleshsmithing for healing
    -LVL3-8: Unarmed for making some damage and pushing monsters away
    -max the Wandlore for the aetheral damage bonus and encrust your book/shield with 2x +5righteous/necromantic resistance
    -max Necronomiconomics
    -one point in laywalking to avoid heavy alcoholism
    -max fleshsmithing for more HP, sausaging single monsters and support the rift with heavy poison
    -for the late-game you just increase the power of "Tenebrous Rift" with enhancing Magic Training/Leywalker/Vampire
    -with wandlore you can build "The bomb"

You can easily stay in a single rift for a short time (Nec Res might be 15+).
    It's pure mass destruction. You might use a magic reducing armour or shield for better defense/resistence and still have enough power.
    Highly recommended Tome: Cloud Formations for confusing monsters.
    With Unarmed you are able to push monsters into the Rift. Very funny.
    Don't care about the debuffs with the "Tenebrous Rift".
    (There are variations in the skilling order possible depending on early "lucky loots")

Gaidren likes this.
  10. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

@Frandarre

That seems like a perfectly fine melee build except that it's going to get screwed over by the kinds of things that all melee builds get screwed over by. You lack magic resist, a spammable knockback, a way to deal with a room full of ranged attackers, a heal, or any nuketastic murdering tricks.

You doubtless have Dodger for the teleport. I did that too until I realized how many other ways I could get a teleport. You have Rocket Jump; Dodger is a dead skill on your bar. Get something else.

Daggers aren't meant to be dual wielded. I know that's counterintuitive but think about it--other weapons give you stat and damage bonuses; daggers give you little shenanigans like DoTs and stances. So that's a little bit of not-synergy.

11. Frandarre

Frandarre Member

Thank you very much Gaidren and Kazuhiro. I'll test the new build later.

12. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

I agree with the first point. CK and Dodger are redundant, and one can be dropped. I also agree that I'd probably drop Dodger of the two.

Kind of disagree on the second point, depending on what you mean. I certainly don't tend to use 2x daggers when I play with the daggers skill, but I do always take Dual Wield since the +counter from that tree has great synergy with the +counter of the defensive dagger stance. I usually use 1 dagger + whatever the best other weapon is I've found, regardless of type. If you don't take Dual Wield with Daggers, you can end up feeling a bit conflicted if the best non-dagger weapon you've found and the best dagger you've found have a big gap in quality. Also....can somebody clarify if you actually *need* to use a dagger to use the defensive dagger stance now? You actually didn't, pre-patch.....but I think they changed that. It was a bit broken that you could gain the benefit of the best thing about the dagger tree without even equipping a dagger, so hopefully that got fixed. :)

13. Rakankrad

Rakankrad Member

Trying out a bankster build (with some mods).. Anyone can tell me if this looks decent?

Master of Arms
    Shield Bearer
    Bankster
    Barrier Maiden
    Communist
    Magical Law
    Dungeon Delver (since I'm playing with Vaults of Maslech, I really want -some- trap skills, jump and stuff)

14. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Woo-hoo \o/ . Take that Dredmor! New High score for me: 3,628,236. Difficulty: DM + Permadeath.

Build: X-Files: Skully = Paranormal Investigator, Rogue Scientist, Crossbows, Tinkerer, Burglary, and Archeology.

Magic is a Hoax!

This has got to be the best sniper build I've seen, to date. Not counting mods, which I don't use (as of yet). I didn't intend to go stealth at first, not really, but the stealth bonuses added up, had a 126 Sneakiness in the end. As for armor, heh, I was wearing Studded Leather - talkin' :block:5 :armor_asorb:3 - at endgame. That's it. Armor didn't matter, as the build was all about avoiding melee and sniping enemies from afar. I looked for two or three specific attributes for gear - :sight: Sight radius, :edr:Enemy Dodge Reduction, and/or :sneakiness: Sneakiness. Of course, extra damage, too; but the melee weapon I ended up carrying was really weak compared to what I had available - I liked it because it had :sight:5.

Skill synergy was excellent, they all really worked well together (the useful skills that is). Most of the game I had around a :sight:12 or so, (+2 with Second Sight), :sight:16/18 endgame. That meant any skill or wand that didn't involve a projectile (including the ever-so-useful Close Encounter for opening doors) was viable from far away. Eye Lasers and Alien Weapon for aggo'ing creatures and mobs in tight spaces, around corners or behind solid objects. I was always angling for at least 6-8 squares of space from hostiles.

Rogue Scientist was underwhelming for the most part, most of the damages involved need buffing. The Baromatic Pulse Deflector is useful thoughout the game, though. About the best thing this class gave me was a :alchemy:3 at endgame. That, plus a Potion of Alchemical Inspiration meant tons of Noxious Brimstone Flasks. So save up the Alchemical Ooze, Plastics, Brimstone, and empty flasks for builds lacking Alchemy. Lastly: what is up with Aetheric Death Ray costing mana? A magical ability in a scientist build? Blasphemy! (oh, and the damage sucked, too).

Perception has to be one of the most underrated classes in the game, loved it. Lucky Find was huge for crafting items and stuff to sell Brax. Eye Lasers, as I said, not a real killer, but real useful for aggro. Burglary, well, no need to sing it's praises, everybody knows how good it is. Archeology, probably the least useful class I picked. Once I got It Belongs In A Museum, I ignored it until the every end of the game, when there was nothing else to develop. IBIAM is big time XP & level advancement, though, especially since I could feed it all these uber weapons that I had no use for, since they weren't crossbows or didn't have any :sight: or :sneakiness:.

Traps? A word about traps. I hate 'em. My previous high score was one of my first games, and I crawled through it, seriously, inched my way along (it was a melee build). This game, I flew through it. With Burglary+Tinkering+Perception+Archelogy, I became the Trap-Master. Kicked them to the curb. I saw every single trap in game, from a long distance, and only stepped on one of them the entire game, kid you not (and that one, because it was covered by a corpse). You could use them against monsters or even Dredmor (killed him one time that way, many patches ago), but they really are the most useful when sold. With Lucky Find, the uber armor+weapons I didn't need, and traps, I had about 1.7 million zorkmids by endgame.

Crossbows isn't rubbish - unless it's not supported by skill synergy. It's a must for snipers, of course. Had something like a 75-80% bolt return once it was fleshed out. Crossbow Blast was very useful, as was Maverick (Fleshbore + possible Stun).

Dredmor might have high resistances to nearly everything, but :dmg_piercing: isn't one of them. Two Digglish Torment rings I wore really helped, as did ample amounts of :dmg_righteous:, :dmg_conflagratory:, :dmg_aethereal:, etc.

oh, and FYI: Holy Hand Grenades, Noxious Brimstone Flasks, and Bolts of Mass Destruction were worthless against the Big D. Use 'em on Zoos, more fun that way, anyway.

Doc Gelegentlich and OmniNegro like this.
  15. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

All right. I've decided on my QiGong master. What do you guys think? How can I make this more GRPD-worthy?

QiGong, Vegan, Unarmed, Berserk, Bloodknight, Archaeology, Demonology

This build has:
    +Tools: Knockback, Magic Resist, Purify, Armor, ranged, early game tricks
    +Sweet synergy between Vegan's buffs and QiGong's scaling
    +Berserk + Bloody Mess + Furor of the Flagellant hell yeah!

This build's problems:
    +Lacks tools: Teleport, Heal, Silence
    +Knockback is in the form of two long cooldowns. Ranged attacks are all missiles with cooldowns.
    +A Vegan without any way to heal is just sounding like a bad idea the more I think about it

For my part, I never use Master of Arms or Shield Bearer. It just feels like other things could've gone there instead. Master of Arms is especially redundant to you because you're going to be wearing barriers anyway. You've got the Delver skill; I'm not sure if you need more survival tricks. You need Leylines if you're going to be a Barrier Maiden. Period.

So cut both of those IMO and take Leylines and then something meleeish like Warlock or Unarmed or Polearm.

16. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

Daggers is the least appropriate weapon choice for a clockwork knight crafter melee build. Daggers have an abysmal crafting recipe tree, and the damage output is simply not good enough to get you through most of the game. A much better choice for clockwork knights is axes, maces, or polearms.

17. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

With Dual Wield, you only need to use one dagger and the other weapon can be something "better".

The whole reason to go daggers is the defensive stance. You might be really underestimating how ridiculously overpowered that thing is.

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Not for long, if it really is "ridiculously overpowered".

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Nothing that good lasts. It, like Egyptian Magic will be nerfed. Look at what happened to Promethean Magic. It was at various times the most powerful skill-tree by a *HUGE* amount. It was then "Fixed" to almost pitiful potency and then balanced back and forth like this will be.

Gaslamp Games is very good at making well balanced skills and items. Modders are another matter altogether... They often make insanely potent mods.

And just as an aside, I looked up the word "Moderds" since my spellcheck did not have the word and found that is the correct spelling. I thought it was equally possible I had screwed up and it only had one "d". So I added it to the dictionary. I swear the dictionary in Firefox is stupid beyond my means to express. It "Updates" itself and apparently loses words I have added since the last update.

20. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

Fair points.

I might be stretching it to say the defensive stance is OP, but it is very useful and more than makes up for the lack of good daggers available, IMHO.

OmniNegro likes this.