Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Or you can use two shields and play in the style PC Gamer referred to as "confused tortoise".

Frandarre likes this.
  2. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Yeah you still get bonus and procs from shield bearer when you don't have a shield. That +20:block: with a 20% of hit to gain another 10 :block: is pretty amazing. They just boosted shield bearer and master of arms with this update too! the brittle effects are almost 2-3 times longer!

Frandarre likes this.
  3. Warlock

Warlock Member

I can also confirm on my very first test PC that Astrology's Radiant Aura was given similar treatment. It now lasts ~6-7 hits instead of 5.

4. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Unbreakable
    • Artful Dodger
    • Unarmed
    • Perception
    • Tinkering
    • Magical Law
    • Rogue Scientist
    • Archaeology
    If you get this build to level 15 you have pretty much won the game. With such a high dodge you should be able to avoid about 95-99% of all melee hits. With Magical law's Writ of Counterspelling+ a single mirror shield 80% of magic can't hurt you. Wright's Irrefutable Argument+ Baromatic Vortex Blast with 7:tinkerer: is a repeatable 150+ damage skill over and over until you run out of mana. With 2:alchemy: you got all the healing, mana, and invisibility potions you need.

Frandarre likes this.
  5. Frelus

Frelus Member

Is Writ Of Counterspelling a buff to magic resist, too?
    Because if it is not, non-projectile magic (*ahem* Thor's Bolt *ahem') can still make you very uncomfortable.
    For everything else, this build looks very nice.

6. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

It does indeed give 50:reflection: 25:magic_resist:. But none of that matter because of magical law's Gag Order or sonic wands, which I could build, would prevent dreadmor from being able to cast any spells!

Edit: and for corruption monsters there is magical law's Polymorphic Injunction. change those annoying monster into something else!

7. Frandarre

Frandarre Member

I'm loving this build.

8. ShiftySharpe

ShiftySharpe Member

What sort of build order should you go with this?

9. Merneith

Merneith Member

I've got one:

The Warren Zevon Appreciation Build
    1. Magic Lawyers
    2. Crossbows
    3. Bankster
    4. Tinker
    5. Rogue Science
    6. Perception
    7. Burglary (or Artful Dodger, if you're playing with a mod that lets Tinkers make lockpicks)
    It's mostly about the guns, of course, with tinker and RS for added goodness. Perception for the traps and sneakiness. Also, loot. Lawyers to keep the magic using monsters in line. Bankster the for lovely, lovely money.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  10. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I went with unarmed, perception twice, archaeology, unarmed twice. Then I did a mixture of trying to get to 4:tinkerer: and 2:alchemy: and raising my unarmed when I need more damage. Rocket boots encrust gives 5:dodge: for black powder, 2 aluminum tubes, and 1 iron ignot. I currently have 15 :dodge: boots and 10:dodge: pants (parachute pants) it is amazing! I am hoping to get 100+ :dodge: boots.

11. YoungEngineer

YoungEngineer Member

How do you figure that Alchemy + Archaeology gets you lots of levels?

12. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

There is a secret recipe that lets you make window of elements and then you can take that to the museum. Until then make Mossy shields.

13. YoungEngineer

YoungEngineer Member

-_- I feel dumb. Looked at the dredmorpedia and finally noticed the little word in bold that says artifact on some items. *facepalm* thanks though haha

EDIT: On an aside from the thread, not all "Artifacts" in the dredmorpedia work. ex. Pyromancer's Gauntlets

14. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

The Hunter

• Vampirism
    • Horrid Thing
    • Big Game Hunter
    • Dual Wield
    • Communism
    • Fungal Art
    • Master of Arms

15. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

The X-Files (Skully)

Magic is a Hoax!
    • Paranormal Investigator
    • Crossbow Mastery
    • Rogue Scientist
    • Tinkering
    • Burgulary ( a detective learns tricks of the trade )
    • Perception
    • Archeology
    (might eventually swap out Archeology for Alchemy)

Frandarre, Shwqa and Aegho like this.
  16. lujo86

lujo86 Member

• Unarmed (For the imba stats)
    • Burglary (For the imba lockpicks and XP)
    • Archeology (For the museum imba XP)
    • Tinkering (For tinkering, obviously. Also, for making artifacts to send to the museum for imba XP)
    • Perception (For the tinkering loot, to crank out more artifacts)
    • Artfull Dodger (For the leap to make more use out of all the traps at zoos. Also dodge.)
    • Big Game Hunter (For awesome early game powerleveling, 1 one level. Also, maybe I should've built it up. Warrior levels for later)

I think I'll call it "the level catapulter". Need to improve on this, it's an amatauer build - I need a way to squeeze Vegan into it, for the Vegetable XP. And if I go that route I'll need the fungus lord for healing. That's two slots and I can't think of what I'd bear to lose :(

I'm moping up DL 6 atm with no problems, I got suboptimal loot (theres room to improve), I'm cranking out rail launchers for 3600 XP per pop (is there a better thing to mass produce? really interested.) I'm thinking about throwing stuff at dreadmor for the endgame, sawblades and hand granades and such. Oh, and I have a 10 :dmg_aethereal: crossbow stashed for the occasion.

17. Aegho

Aegho Member

Pretty sure crafted ones work properly. You'll usually find them without artifact stats, but crafted should get it. Many things that are listed as artifacts can be spawned without artifact levels, but if they are craftable, they get them when crafred.

18. Aegho

Aegho Member

Lose unarmed/artful dodger. You still have a teleport from burglary, you can go sword(any weapon)&board(tome) for more melee damage... and losing the offensive stats from unarmed doesn't hurt THAT much for ranged if you go twin tome either.

19. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

• Viking Magic
    • Egyptian Magic
    • Ley Lines
    • Magic Training
    • Burglary
    • Archaeology
    • Alchemy
    With Glyph of the Asp and Magic Steel you should be able to melee the first floor no problem. By that time you get Thaumaturgic Tap,
    Lucky Pick, Glyph of Imhotep, Sandstorm. With Sandstorm you can handle floor 2 no problem. Once this build gets going then it should be smoothing sailing for the rest of the game. Sandstrom deal massive AOE damage while Magic training and ley lines maintains the mana. Alchemy for healing, booze, invisibility, orbs, and encrust. Viking magic make the start of the game MUCH easier and for the end game you got Thor's Fulminaric Bolt. Thor's Fulminaric Bolt+ Thaumoentropic Missile+ Alchemy can defeat Dreadmor.

20. GreyICE

GreyICE Member

On floor 14 with:

Clockwork Knight (3 different teleport skills, ranged damage, and increased drop rate on metals, oh my)
    Tinkerer - Great encrusts, bolts, huge buff to Clockwork Knight skills. I have an absurdist crossbow (10+12 (Ring) Piercing, 28 Radiant, 10 Aethereal) and combined with good bolts, this can rip apart a lot of things.
    Smithing - Probably a mistake
    Battle Geologist - Shut the hell up Dredmor! Daze, stuns, dazes, fun stuff.
    Demonology - Stupid good skill. Yeah, it is. Went higher, but that was prolly a mistake and makes those bloody fish a nightmare. Still, if you're willing to run like hell from a few fish, this is an amazing tree.
    Shield Bearer - Block, procs a knockback stun, knockback stun, sure
    Berserker Rage - Also probably a mistake. It doesn't seem to proc on hits that do zero damage, which is bad. And thanks to the current encrust bug I teleport madly all over the map with every successful attack, meaning that the rage never lasts.

If I had to change it,

Drop Smithing/Berserker Rage
    Pick up some combination of Magical Law, Communism, Paranormal Investigator, Master of Arms

My plan for Dredmor, which should work, is to pound him to death with crossbow bolts. Since so much of the damage ignores his resists, he should be taking 32-10 Piercing, 28 Radiant, and 10 Aetherial for 60 damage per bolt. Then it's just a matter of surviving the spell nukes as I teleport around like a bunny rabbit poking him to death. I figure I'll dual wield Mirror Shield/Mirror Darkly Shield for a cool perfect spell reflect, and just deal with the stupid spells that avoid reflect with my 56% magic resist, massive resists, and strategic screaming and bugging out.