Linux 64-bit segmentation fault unless I'm root!

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by dennis, Jan 28, 2012.

1. dennis

dennis Member

Just downloaded 1.0.9 (from Humble Bundle that I purchased a bit back). Extracted the game fine, and I accidentally ran as root and it worked fine. However, if I try to run the game as a normal user, I get a segmentation fault. What's going on (and no I won't run the game as root)? I'm using Arch Linux 64-bit. My libraries should all be up to date.

dennis% ./Dredmor
    Dredmor: Installed in '.'.
    Dredmor: Using amd64 version.

2. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

I think what's happened here is that when you ran the game for the first time as root, the saves/config folder that Dredmor creates got marked as being owned by root, and now you can't access/write to it properly. It should be in ~/.local/share/Dredmor. Have a look for it there, and either change the permissions on it or delete it entirely, so it can be created properly when you run the game as a normal user.

If you need more detail on exactly how to achieve those things, just say. I figured since you're on Arch you probably know at least as much as I do about it.

3. dennis

dennis Member

Should have known it was something like that! Thanks a bunch. Running happily now.