Savegame help

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by captainkronos, Oct 22, 2013.

1. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

My recent savegames have disappeared somehow.

On Saturday I completed dungeon level 2 with my basically rogue character and saved and quit at the very start of DL3. I went back to it later that day and my character was still on DL1 and DL2 was empty.

On Sunday I messed about a bit and started 3 different characters just to see how some skills synergised and left them all at the completion of DL1.

Today I went into DoD and my 3 character saves had vanished.

Is this a bug or is there a limit has to how many character saves you can have? I admit I had a severe case of restartitis over the past three weeks and have roughly 20 character saves.

I play DoD through Steam.

Thanks.

2. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Are your save-games still physically on your computer?
    The standard location for save-games is C:\Users\#######\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\

If they are, it's probably the Steam Cloud Syncing being a dock
    You'll have to navigate to the same directory and edit the config.xml file:
    Look for the <setting name="enableSteamCloud" value="1"/> tag and change it to 0, it should be the 4th or 5th line

Kazeto likes this.
  3. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

Thanks for the advice. Found the savesgame and they're not in the folder.

Is there a problem with savegames in Steam then?

4. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Steam Cloud Syncing in general is pretty terrible, but it seems to have it in for Dungeons of Dredmor in specific
    It may be deleting the save-games from your computer, but it doesn't seem very likely. You could try disabling the syncing either way, really, as most problems with saves are Steam related anyway

If that doesn't help, I'm pretty much out of ideas!

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Apparently it's an issue for lots of games (Civilization 5, for example), but POSSIBLY not for everyone. I know people who use it without any issues, but I'm not one of them. Unless you really need cloud support, I recommend turning it off.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I had similar problems until I turned off Steam Cloud-- pretty sure that's the cause. An alternative (though a bit tedious) is to copy your save folders to something like Google Drive or Dropbox. I usually backup my saves each time I go to a new floor.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Beware when using Dropbox, as it usually tries to sync as soon as a folder or file changes. If it does this while the game is still using it, the chances are it will become corrupted. If anything, you'll have a lot of errors and trash files on your Dropbox.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. captainkronos

captainkronos Member

Thanks everyone, especially Gorbax. Changed the value in the xml value from 1 to 0 and that did the trick although I lost all saves as previously mentioned.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

well that would only happen if the game was reading saves directly from your Dropbox. I manually copy and paste out of the savegame folder. :p

Kazeto likes this.
  10. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

True! Manually copy-pasting it does solve that issue

11. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Or you could just back them up elsewhere on your computer.

Kazeto likes this.