Windows Vista/7 32-bit Save Silently Fails With Duplicate Names

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by dholmes13, Aug 26, 2012.

1. dholmes13

dholmes13 Member

I noticed that my games were suddenly not saving and, after some investigation, I found that there was a locked save folder with the name I was using. I'm not sure how that happened, but deleting it fixed the issue.

Clearly whatever caused that folder to be locked is a problem, but this brings up another very important issue. If the save is failing, then the player should find out right away rather than going through two floors of a dungeon only to find that their data was never saved. This should be pretty easy to detect as well since it just requires attempting to create a save file on character creation. But, the bottom line is that a failure of that magnitude should never be silent.

Now, taking the fact that this folder was causing such a problem, I took it a step further and created a second character with the same name, something which caused me much confusion before when I legitimately wanted to start two characters with the same name and different builds intending to keep one of them. As it turns out, this will predictably overwrite the existing character with the same name.

I think the root problem here is that the code is attempting to identify a character by the name instead of some unique ID (for testing I hope?). If that were changed, it would most likely fix all of these issues in one fell swoop. It should be a fairly simple fix and having that kind of unique ID might prevent other issues in the long run.

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

What version of the game, from where, and what DLC do you have?

The newest on Steam is 1.1.2 and I do not know about the other places. Other options on where you could get it are Desura, Gamefly, and Humble Bundle. Expansions include Realm of the Diggle Gods, You Have to Name the Expansion Pack, and Conquest of the Wizardlands.

Saves are identified by the character name at current. If you try to make a new character with the same name, I have no idea what it does. But I suggest not doing so until this is changed. What file system are you using? FAT32? NTFS?

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's strange because I can save two characters with the same name just fine.

Try deleting your save folder and letting the game recreate it.

4. dholmes13

dholmes13 Member

It's version 1.1.2 on Steam with "You Have to Name the Expansion Pack" only. The file system is NTFS. And, no worries, I won't have two characters with the same name until I have a successful test of it first. In fact, whenever you do have time to get it fixed, let me know and I'll try to break it again :)

@Daynab - Thanks. I did that before my original post and it worked. I won't bother to speculate as to how you got two with the same name though. That's a question for someone who can see the source code.

OmniNegro likes this.