Windows Vista/7 32-bit Save game/synchronization issue?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by aznxknight, Dec 27, 2012.

1. aznxknight

aznxknight Member

Ok, this can get confusing but here's the problem.
    I have the Dungeons of Dredmor icon on my desktop upon installing the game. It is a picture of the face of the male hero. Let's call this the steam icon version. I usually double click this icon to play the game because for some reason I cannot pin this icon to my taskbar (this is another issue i want to raise up but i save it for a different topic).
    The game loads and the taskbar icon that represents the game is a picture of a swarmy(or a purple colored version of snow baal, big red, or dread collector-however you want to picture it).
    Now at this point since the game loaded i can now pin this icon to my taskbar. Let's called this the pinned version. So i do pin it but a save game issue raises if i use the pinned version to play the game. Let's say before i pinned it i have a save file with the character right at the beginning of floor 13 unexplored. If i use the pinned version, play and explore the whole dungeon level, save, and try to load the game back on the steam icon version i'll be right back to where i was before, the beginning of floor 13 unexplored.
    Perhaps the pinned version made a save file in another place. I did a search on my computer and possibly found the file in the steam folder as opposed to a documents folder where my save game files usually go but DoD cannot read any of the files found in the steam folder after manually moving/copying/pasting the items.

So i was wondering if there is a fix for this issue. I spent quite an hour exploring the whole level and it'd be a hassle to do it again. Is this a known bug with playing saved games with the pinned version?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Disable Steam Cloud sync. Then make a new shortcut directly to the Dungeons of Dredmor.exe file and use it directly. Steam is the problem. Using the Steam link loads Steam and it does the cloud junk and 'effs everything up. The only fix is to disable the cloud and always load it from the executable itself rather than have Steam load it.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. aznxknight

aznxknight Member

Ahh i see what's happening. The only problem i have with that is disabling steam cloud. No i know how to, it's just that sometimes i like to play on different computers, e.g. at a friends house to show something or at work during lunch break, etc. I haven't really had a real problem with steam cloud before until now. Guess i'm going to have to stick with the steam icon version.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Oh, forgot to ask, do you or anyone know how to pin this game to the taskbar while also going through steam? The method you, OmniaNigrum, gave me doesn't go through steam and coincidently it's the same method as pinning the game when the game is opened from the steam icon version.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No way to do it normally, though it is possible. When the game is called via Steam, it is called as a Steam command which Steam then interprets. Thus, you would only pin Steam, but it's impossible to pin commands unless you can add favourites to your pinned stuff (which was possible, but I have no clue how to do it).

OmniaNigrum likes this.