Windows Vista/7 64-bit Save Game and Stacking bugs

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Haldurson, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

1. The last couple of times that I've done a quit and save, I can only restore from a automatic save. I'll generally lose many turns because of this. Similarly, games where I've died, I'll sometimes still have a save game lying around even though I always select permadeath.

2. I occasionally have problems where potions and similar items that SHOULD stack, will form two non-mergable stacks. For example, several times now when I've used the Xenochemistry skill from Paranormal Investigator, I've gotten potions that would not stack with identical potions (this has happened with a Spatial Instability Infusion, a potion of Clear Vision, and I think with a voltaic potion. It's also happened with thrown weapons.

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Just an update on the save game issue -- I deleted the two 'normal' save games that I had saved up, and when I next tried to save the game, it saved properly BUT I still ended up with an automatic save as well.

/edit btw, I have an earlier problem that I posted about that I thought was fixed, that I'm certain is relevant to this: http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/cant-load-any-save-games.4790/

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Another save game 'problem':
    Last night when I was playing, the game CTD'd after an hour or two, without any error message while I was in Diggle Hell. I went to bed and this evening I tried to load up the game again -- there was no automatic save at all. BUT, my original save was there. I hate having to replay the levels again, but I guess it's either that or start a new game.

I'm getting very frustrated. I know that I'm not the only person having save game issues, but it seems very odd that no one else has had the same exact save game problem.

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If anything, I recommend you start with disabling the Steam cloud for DoD. You can do it by finding the "config.xml" file in Dredmor's directory in "your documents" and changing the line pertaining to the Steam cloud (just change the value from 1 to 0).

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've been playing with the steam cloud disabled for a while now -- that definitely exacerbated the existing problems, but is not their source.

/edit Odd -- I know I disabled the steam cloud using the steam interface, but I just checked, and it's set to 1 in the config file. I really don't THINK that it's been accessing the cloud, because the behavior changed after I turned it off. But In any case I've set it to zero now.

6. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Member

I just had the same issue, where I died with permadeath on, but my save from the previous time I quit with that character is still there. It's not a huge problem, but it is fairly irritating, because I don't want to play a character that should have died using an older save. It was the farthest I had ever gotten, and now every time I launch the game, this high level character is there right below the new guy, calling to me, but he's already dead.......

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Editing config.xml, as kazeto suggested, fixed the problem for me, if I recall correctly (it's over a year ago since i posted that, but I'm fairly certain that the steam cloud settings were my problem).

Kazeto likes this.