[Save Bug] Autosaves are not being deleted on Just Quit, Permadeath

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Hahnsoo, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hahnsoo

Hahnsoo Member

Steps:
    1) Create a new Permadeath character.
    2) Proceed to any staircase.
    3) Proceed to Level 2.
    4) The game should autosave at this point.
    5) Press the ESC key to reach the options menu.
    6) Select Just Quit.
    7) Confirm Yes, Yes, OK to reach the main menu.
    8) Select Load Game.
    9) Select Automatic Save.
    Bug: The automatic save is loaded.

This bug allows you to use Save scumming easily and quickly. Simply walk down a staircase, then walk back up, head to the nearest Altar of Krong. If you get a good bonus, you proceed as normal. If you get a curse, just use this bug, and you'll be loaded to the staircase again. You can easily stack the maximum beneficial bonuses on any item. Or, say that you are in trouble, and you know that death is imminent. Just select Just Quit, confirm, then load up your autosave before you die.

It's not so much that the auto-saves aren't being deleted that's the problem, actually. It's more like the game tells you that if you Just Quit, you'll lose the character and all the saves associated with that character, but you never actually lose the auto-save. I know that it's fairly easy to save scumm in Dungeons of Dredmor, but this doesn't require outside interaction with the file system... it's just loading the auto-save that's already there and not cleared out.

Platform: PC, Steam
    Specs: Core Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, nVidia GTS 450 graphics card, running at 2560x1024 resolution on two monitors.

2. You don't need to use autosaves to do this, do you? The regular save stays around too. I'm not sure it's a bug, exactly, but the "Just Quit" dialog warning you over and over that your character will be deleted, and then not deleting it, seems to say that something at least needs rewording. Unless it's a joke that went over my head.

If it were my game I'd just remove the Just Quit option from permadeath modes, because quitting without saving seems at odds with the "only one run through the game" ethos of that mode, but as it stands I just don't use that option, no big deal. Even then there'll be other ways to restore your saves if you're that way inclined, and people cheating in single-player games is harmless anyway.

3. Hahnsoo

Hahnsoo Member

Yeah, again... it's easy to save scumm in this game, since it just involves copying/pasting the relevant files to a safe place. I don't think that's much of an issue in a single player game. It does affect online leaderboards (although this is the least of the worries on the leaderboards, with all the XML XP booster edits), and the text for Just Quit is definitely incorrect. It warns you repeatedly "Oh noes! You'll lose the save", and you don't actually lose anything.

4. Derakon

Derakon Member

There does need to be some way to commit suicide, for those of us who don't want tons of old saves cluttering things up. "Just Quit" should be that way.