Roger Ebert died yesterday, at 70

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Haldurson, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

For many years now, I have been a fan of Roger Ebert. I haven't always agreed with him, but I've always found his opinions, on movies, politics and social issues to be intelligent and well-considered (if not always correct ;) ). He's been fighting Thyroid cancer since 2002, and had a botched treatment in 2006 which resulted in the loss of his ability to speak. But he continued to write both movie reviews and commentary on all sorts of issues up until very recently. He's survived by his wife, Chaz Ebert, who often spoke for him in recent years.

Anyway, he's one of the very few movie critics that I have ever held in great regard. He long lamented that high quality independent and foreign films were not available in theaters for most americans and that the assumption by the film industry that most Americans were not intelligent enough to appreciate such films was insulting and wrong-headed. He also was a big proponent for making recorded films available in wide screen, when pan and scan was the only format that most VHS films were available in. Also, was a fierce opponent of the MPAA's rating system especially as to which films were deemed by them to be suitable or unsuitable for children.

Kazeto, Daynab and mining like this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Kazeto likes this.