Ring of Power

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Haldurson, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OmniaNigrum and Turbo164 like this.
  2. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I think it's either a hoax or a result of Texas having a greater than usual concentration of ignorant rednecks.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I would have agreed with you completely before when I first posted this. But one good point that I've read that's come up in other discussions is that there could really be a darker side to this that we don't know because we don't know the whole context of the event. I'll explain what I mean.

It's POSSIBLE that the 'victims' were truly terrified. If the kid had brought a knife to school and threatened to cut the other kids, we would not be laughing about this. But to another 9 year old, that ring might be just AS terrifying as that knife. So the context is everything. And remember that parents are incredibly encouraging of all sorts of fanciful beliefs. Most parents do not try to encourage their kids to be critical thinkers. Instead, they tell them lies, they want their kids to believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy because it's cute, or fun, or whatever. And the kids beleive them because kids have no reason to distrust their parents or other adults. Trust comes naturally -- distrust has to be learned. So when that kid told his friends or victims (it could have been either) that he had a magic ring, it's conceivable that they actually believed him. Because kids need to be taught to distrust.

Bohandas and OmniaNigrum like this.