Riddle rooms?

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by mondomg, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mondomg

mondomg Member

I haven't seen a thread regarding riddles in some rooms, for example a one like this:

[​IMG]

I wonder if anyone knows how to deal with them? I consider myself being good with riddles but I think this one escapes me. I've also seen one with runes or glyphs and three blank tiles but I teleported through a mysterious portal and was immediately slain by an Archdiggle on Permadeath...

It seems to me you have to put two items on each of the orange-framed tiles but the clues in the book and on the sconces don't help me much... Also, I wasn't playing the game for a while, so I don't know if these rooms were introduced in the expansion or earlier in some patch?

In advance, thanks for your help :)

2. Luke00016

Luke00016 Member

Step on one tile or the other, each gives either an infernal or hyperborean buff.

3. Wootah

Wootah Member

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be more riddle to this than what luke has said. Of course, if there were complicated riddles, you would just solve them once and then they would be no different than something like this. The buff is nice for melee characters :)

4. HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen Member

Speaking of riddle rooms, what are you supposed to do in the rooms with three runes and a lever? I just try random combinations and only get vending machines of various sorts. I feel like I'm missing something but I haven't found any pedestals with even vague instructions on them. Is this just another ironic RPG element they put in for shits and diggles?

5. mondomg

mondomg Member

The thing is, I DID step on each of them and nothing happened. I didn't get any buff or potion. Maybe it's just a bug in my case?

I managed to come across the one with the runes three more times and yes, it seems to give out a vending machine depending on what combination of the runes you place on the tiles but I haven't tested it yet, perhaps it's completely random.

One a side note, I've just died on Level 8 with 480,sth points after playing for six hours because a fish champion was hidden behind the doors and I'd thought the room was cleared...

6. HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen Member

I think I've heard of people pulling that lever and being teleported to some level with archdiggles and the like. Completely random sounds about right.
    Ah, and that's how you know you're playing a roguelike.

mondomg and Essence like this.
  7. Wootah

Wootah Member

8. HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen Member

Aw, so it really is vending machines all the way down? Too bad.

9. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Looks like you clicked on / broke the two desks in the north part of the room. Breaking either of them deactivates the room. It's kinda weird that way. Don't use area affects in this room if you can avoid it.

mondomg likes this.
  10. tennerage

tennerage Member

Seeing as nobody has stated this yet:
    *I believe that this is a reference to the series of novels "A Song of Ice and Fire". This includes the (cynical, jocular) flavour text added to the scroll on the pedestal, however I haven't red the stories so I can't comment :p
    The buff you receive from the floor tile corresponds to the colour and/or, if you are unable to distinguish between red and blue, the alt/hover-text description of the nearest wall sconce.

Edit:
    *Given that this game is infested with science fiction, fantasy and popular culture in-jokes,

11. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

What I don't get is why the breakable book-cases.

12. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

The breakable book cases have text they are supposed to display, but don't due to a bug. You can read it in rooms.xml. I haven't looked at it lately, but it's possible that text further pushes the Song of Fire and Ice joke/reference that I totally didn't get till Tennerage pointed it out.

Or, the point of them being breakable could just be to make the room better for warriors than for wizards. The buff is at its fullest potency on melee characters, and casters using lots of area-affect spells run the risk of disabling the power-up before they can get to it.