REVISION 40A NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Note: The UI code has received a huge overhaul for this patch. If you see any alignment issues or other oddities in the UI, please let us know so we can get them cleaned up. (Sub-note: We know that you can't click on or drag the character portraits in the work crew panel but we did not want to delay the patch. You can still add/remove workers from crews using the +/- buttons. Also we know about the heads thing. You'll see.)

added various selectable game-start loadouts to the starting screen
    added "Prisoner" character type
    added "Ravenous Herd" event
    added "Foreign Invasion" event
    added option to disable tutorials to loadout screen
    coconut palms will provide some lumber when removed
    cleanup of stockpile handling code performed; prevents duplicate entries being put in the stockpile list
    stockpile handling code optimization performed: do an early out from the job handling code once one goods job has been successfully evaluated
    Bandits/Fishpeople/Foreigners now have proper tooltips which describe their state as neutral, hostile, or friendly
    bandits now walk from edge of map to set up camp rather than teleporting in
    bandit camp size now corresponds to number of bandits in gang
    bandit gang selection for bandit attack event improved
    bandit stealing logic made less dumb
    player can now directly order a mineralogical survey
    increased materials range on gabions
    polished the ui a bit
    performed animal job cleanup pass (should eliminate some instances of... weird behavior)
    all characters gained by prestige favours are now temporary and will depart after a certain number of days.
    balance, prestige favours: prisoner favour now comes with a manager to oversee the prisoners.
    balance, prestige favours: artisan favour now comes with high starting skills.
    balance, prestige favours: most commodity-granting favours removed
    balance, prestige favours: food favour now grants food amount based on current population
    balance: Lower-class and middle-class immigration are now separate events. Lower-class will continue to be sent by the empire every few days. Middle-class overseers will come when you reach commodity production milestones.
    balance: all starting guns are now pistols
    balance: radar favour made to be more consistently useful
    balance: musket is now cheaper
    balance: pistol -> revolver upgrade is now cheaper
    balance: bandits give gifts less often
    balance: obeliskians made tougher
    balance: naturalist will prioritize mineralogical surveys & survey search range increased
    balance: made fishpeople slightly less enthusiastic about destroying your crops
    balance: made colonists made less enthusiastic about Fishpeople hassling outside of civilization
    balance: made humanoid combatants less enthusiastic about shooting fleeing targets
    workshop missing overseer can now be given a reason other than "death"
    balance: removed a ton of surface nodes, put in a bunch of hidden ore that requires surveying & underground mining
    balance: foreign troops stand up to combat better now
    FIXED: slowdown in work crews panel when colony has a high population
    FIXED: Naturalist will no longer avoid workshop duty if assigned to a workshop
    FIXED: temptools no longer show up in commodity window
    FIXED: flax to cloth said it took more flax than it did
    FIXED: fishpeople hassling requires being in civilization
    FIXED: various typos
    FIXED: sleeping people can no longer object to your policies
    FIXED: dead bandits can no longer be harvested by fishpeople for infinite longpork
    FIXED: possible scripterror from foreigner corpses
    FIXED: broken modules should no longer be usable in workshops
    FIXED: scripterror when Upper Class Sympathy event fired
    FIXED: gabion deconstruction now displays a progress bar
    FIXED: first character in your list will not always be the person upset about illegal goods (and various other events will now also pick a character at random correctly)
    FIXED: right-clicking to create a shortcut on Steam now actually creates a shortcut with the correct icon
    FIXED: characters will no longer discover they are distant relatives of themselves
    FIXED: characters will not make friends with themselves, either
    FIXED: about 20 instances of "receive" are now spelled correctly

(World generation will be along once it's further along.)

Alianin and KillerKidClever like this.
  2. Yayyy!! :D

Thank you!

3. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Played for about 15 min. Here's what I noticed.
    - Allied troops do not react to being attacked by wild animals until they reach your colony.
    - Allied troops that have "left the area" actually are standing around the edge of the colony pondering their goals.
    - people are once again wandering deep into the wild to find various meat products.
    - UI: mouse wheel zoom does not work if your mouse is over a job icon.
    - UI: can't click on colonists in the work crew section to bring up their info card (possibly related to that known issue).
    - UI: module movement is a problem. camera gets tied to mouse movement in that mode and makes it very difficult to use.

I must say I like the direction of new starting options. I tried the insta-metalworks one that claimed I could get a metalworks up and running almost immediately. It was full of lies.

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

"UI: module movement is a problem. camera gets tied to mouse movement in that mode and makes it very difficult to use."

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean here...

5. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Humm, I tried it again and was unable to reproduce the issue. However, what happened the first time was: when the mouse moved, the module would move as expected but the camera would also move with in the same direction, but just at a slower speed. The result being much like the fast movement on the webpage you can get from middle clicking (works on this page). If I manage it again Ill try to figure out how to reproduce it.

6. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

Immediate bugs/issues/thoughts.

-Can no longer view a colonist's info by clicking on them in the work crew panel.

-Lingonberry bushes remain after being foraged (and appear ripe) and cannot be removed (and/or when they regrow, cannot be foraged; can't tell).

-When the mouse hovers over the sun/moon icon it's always 'day 1' (this has been around for a long time).

-A fishperson got stuck in a 'walking purposefully' and 'consider life goals' task loop and just stood there walking in place (this was while a gift party got hassled for destroying crops). He eventually snapped out of it and walked far away. This happened a bunch of times.

-It took me seven days to get five lower class laborers and I had to spend 4 prestige points. I was under the impression the capital was suffering from an overcrowding problem. As of day 11, middle class colonists outnumber lower classes (13 to 9)

-Fishperson visits are now a daily occurrence. Are the fleshy landwalkers really so fascinating? Also, it kind of detracts from the mystery and awe of these eldritch beings. Oh look, another bunch of scaly chaps. Huh, I think that one visited the colony last Tuesday.

-Seriously, what's so fun about destroying crops? I understand that a fishperson's mind is a strange, abominable thing full of inhuman desires and unfathomable convictions, but have you ever tried pulling up corn? No one would find it 'fun.' Stealing crops, now, that kind of makes sense.

-Colonists still seem to be a bit too enthusiastic about intimidating fishpeople. Once they're fleeing I think most colonists would leave them alone.

-Colonists seem very, very reluctant to haul foraged food to stockpiles (cooked food or crops are hauled just fine; not always to the appropriate stockpile, mind).

-Apparently, soldiers don't receive a firearm when they're sent to your colony. Huh.

-Colonists still refuse to use tables and chairs

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I started a new game and found myself confounded by OPTIONS. Shifty-eyed whispering OPTIONS. I must report this to the Ministry at ONCE.

8. Olek

Olek Member

I've noticed the above so far, I am also unable to remove some tree stumps.
    I have also found the browny points to be useless now, it's only going to increase the micro management with the work teams with people coming and going.
    If you want to make it tougher, give the point weekly instead of daily, and let us keep the benefits of the points.

9. Blyn

Blyn Member

Can't clear stumps.

Tried out the scientist loadout but CAN'T ASSIGN MY SCIENTIST to the lab! Big blank window just says "Office" at the top.
    (fixed by shaking window)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  10. Maffia

Maffia Member

But if you pull up the plant and there is a clod of earth caught in the root you can launch it great distances by swinging and releasing, that's pretty fun, especially if launched at others!

11. mrclint

mrclint Member

So now that end game stuff keep coming and we have the starter option, I would like to propose an option to be like a whole unbuilt village in materials and manpower.

It would be a lot faster to try out the new stuff instead of starting from scratch all the time, with the added benefit that all other options still are there.

12. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

While I'm still playing with the build and making a list of feedback notes, I should point out that the revamped Work Crew list is slightly cut off: in 1366x768 resolution, the window loses a few pixels at the bottom.

13. Samut

Samut Member

Can anyone load a saved game? Choosing a save file and clicking on the Load button does nothing.

14. Wolg

Wolg Member

Kitchen jobs list (and possibly others) left aligns the standing order, quantity and cancel buttons to the job text rather than right aligning to the frame, making them look a mess in longer lists of mixed products.

Also, can the new UI system ensure the click- and click-drag menus never render their options off-screen?
    As discussed in another thread, most players were making the same, predictable choices from the prestige menu, with a number of the options never getting used at all. Modifying them to all be transient/consumable rather than some giving permanent benefits compared to others seems to me as intended to make the choice more interesting, rather than just being the "overseer pls" prompt.

(I wouldn't have expected extra micro from this, unless such temp crews are put on a workshop. At a glance, seems the main benefit for them is just leaving them free to knock off field tasks, letting them do what they will until they go away.)

(Also, while I haven't taken a criminal crew yet, it would amuse me greatly if they turned up in the "magpie" white-with-black-arrows convict garb ascribed to the period being referenced.)

15. Wait. Then how the hell do I get enough overseers to manage all those bloody mines I'll have to build?!

16. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

We'll be keeping an eye on how the new progression feels to people for the next while. It's likely the game will feel slower for now, but we're trying to set a pacing baseline against which we can balance the pacing of events and conflicts that will make up most of the challenges of the game. In other words, we want to make a bunch of fun stuff for you to do that isn't just "teching to the end"

17. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Also: If you'd like to help me balance overseer stuff a bit, posting a console.txt from a game session you've played at least 20 minutes in would be super useful. (Note that loading a save game counts as a new session)
    Windows-people can find console.txt in C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Clockwork Empires

18. Blyn

Blyn Member

Well my Palmerstroke scientific expedtion was killed.

Having only 1 pistol, I let the bandits take what they wanted and denied the existence of fishpeople.
    When asked, I told my military to keep hassling any rude fishpeople.

Day 5, a group of 5 fishpeople showed up and my NCO immediately began shooting them.
    After 3 or so shots they all turned and mauled her to death instantly.
    My events lit up with red-eyed fishpeople, asking how to react to each fishperson's attack.
    An NCO I ordered happened to arrive just then but the lone pistol was gone.
    They chased down everybody.

I can't tell if they came to attack me or my NCO went off the deep end.

19. Blyn

Blyn Member

I really like the idea of temporary favors, providing they can do their jobs in the allotted time.

But I think now then favors should perhaps be on-demand? The event kept coming up for me when I had no prestige to spend, so it was useless. I should've just put the window to the side until I earned some....

20. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I have successfully loaded a saved game. The save file is only selected when the selection box appears around it, and you have to click a small area in the top half of the row of text to select it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.