Revision 40 is out now!

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Daynab, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

2. Trifler

Trifler Member

I'm in the process of trying it out now.

One thing I have already discovered is that when foreign troops walk by my colony, but are not aggressive, my troops open fire on them anyway and incite an unnecessary firefight.

3. It depends on the faction policy you are in with that faction. There are three foreign factions, there is an ally, a neutral and an enemy. The behaving of such troops is not perfect. So if you fire on them they deserve it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. Trifler

Trifler Member

Ok. It seems I just happened to get an enemy wandering by the first time. They were just walking by and my soldiers started shooting at them, and then they shot back and my NCO went down, so that was painful and seemed like such a pointless loss. However, if I imagine they were actually attacking, it makes more sense.

I've seen several groups of neutrals now and they walked by without incident.

5. Dang. Now I'm tempted to build an Obeliskian table lamp.

6. Akuma

Akuma Member

Very stable build, I only managed to wring a very minor error related to corpses after 5 hours.

Things I did notice, mid game if you have alot of people and make alot of building projects, people will stop cutting down trees cause there too low down the priority list. Even if they can't build anything because there's no logs.

The Obeliskian's are awesome, for balance I think they either need to get put next to a very rare mineral or put in a place you really want to dig for whatever reason. Maybe put less possible mine locations to make them alot more valuable.

Has anyone had any luck with Cults? Had one guy go a little mad due to strange family histories, but nothing super out there. Tried to use the old starve until only the pure remain, but now since they can forage by themselves if they get hungry that makes that very difficult, haha.

7. Unforked

Unforked Member

How are you waking up the Obeliskians? Do you have to mine directly on top of them, or can it be nearby? I've been trying, but maybe it just takes more time.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I activated some! Didn't even finish building the mineshaft this time, maybe they just got irritated by my constant stomping around the area? In any case, they are glorious.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  8. Even if you have work crews who don't do construction jobs?

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Send me a save game where jobs aren't being done if you have one, and I can take a look at it.

10. Akuma

Akuma Member

You know what, I completely forgot you could turn off jobs for work crew's. So this is occurring when everything is turned on for everyone.

Here's an auto save from that run. It doesn't happen until a long time in though.

Attached Files:

11. Another awesome update. It's almost been a year since Earliest Access, but things are really starting to ramp up.

Also as a sidenote: David, if you'd ever consider making prints of some of the update artwork or other artwork you've created for the game after it's done, I'd definitely consider buying some.

Tarod likes this.
  12. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

Military morale is an issue. Once a soldier or NCO's morale drops to zero they're useless (naturally) but it seems to take days or even weeks for them to recover. I started a colony in New Sogwood that happened to be adjacent to an obeliskian assemblage. A single octahedral obeliskian awoke and menaced my colony. Both NCOs responded and were reduced to frightened little babies after a single attack, leaving the obeliskian free to ravage what little I had constructed. I get that this is a game of cosmic horror but it seems like soldiers are far too easily scared and regain their courage far too slowly. Not even Lovecraft's characters were so cowardly (not all of them, at least).

Tarod and PeterH like this.
  13. PeterH

PeterH Member

On the topic of obeliskans; I have yet to see one. Twice I had a message "your xxxx is being threatened by an Obeliskan (Obeliskian?) and then there was a bang and when I scrolled over to the site there was a crater ... and that was it. Rats!
    Those dudes never hang about for long enough!

14. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

Lets see, just 1 script error, but, I did get problems whit lagg while opening the jobs list. 2015-06-26_00001.jpg
    Did also have a bit of trouble whit people not building gabions, and not thinking I had enough wood whit message on screen a red X, while comodities showed 65 wood, 35 bamboo.

Also a bit of a missplaced wall in the ironworks, probably because of smithys in both corners.

added the usual files incase they can be needed.

*edit, other than that, rather good gameplay, now, and stable. just to give some positive feedback too.

Attached Files:

15. Wolg

Wolg Member

So, the Xenophobe trait...

I just had a xenophobic footsoldier not only engage a visiting Republique soldier in conversation, but form a friendship with him. Later, she fired the shot that rid the colony of a hostile soldier of Novoyrus, but gained a memory describing regret rather than one of... Satisfaction?

...Seems a bit odd.

16. Building gabions is far from intuitive. Only soldiers can build them, and you have to enable hauling and construction jobs for the unit to allow them to build it. That's how I solved it in Rev39.

17. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

Strangly, cutting down a large amount of trees, civilians suddenly began building more gabions, so it seems they do, but they migth be picky on what wood they use. Second note to it, they did bring both bamboo and the new cut logs. I can try your fix and see if I get them to build the rest a bit faster.

Althoug, I do hope they add a new kind of wall for outside safety, some kind of fortwall.

18. Wolg

Wolg Member

As with other jobs, gabion assembly will only be worked on during daylight.

For building materials, if my reading of jobs.xml is correct, gabion assembly will search for "timber"-tagged objects within 50 grid squares of the gabion site. Logs or bamboo outside this range won't be considered available for building that gabion.

You could use stockpiles filtered to raw materials only (and tweak the filters on other stockpiles) to encourage colonists to haul logs within range. Alternatively, if editing game files doesn't bother you, look in jobs.xml line 2231, the "range" attribute of the <require_gameobject> element.

19. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Random points:

• Maize in the jungle biome appears to be huge - was it always 10 feet tall?
    • The game appears to write to the hard drive during play, seemingly more than it used to, and it's espcially noticable with 30+ colonists - is this a side effect of more resources being used by background processes?
    • Stability appears to be very good now, and the most common script error I get is the Foreigner Corpse error which is quite minor.
    • I've located Obeliskian ruins a couple of times now, but I can't wake them up - I've cleared land, built a mine, and stationed military squads around them, to no avail.
    • The commemorative bar of gold ignores the airship pylon and drops wherever it wants.
    • Apparently placing an explore beacon on non-flat land (i.e. red squares) is not possible?
    • Corpse burial bugs persist:
      • 'bury corpse' jobs enter job list and just accumulate
      • sometimes, the name of the colonist assigned to that job will rapidly flicker between nobody and various others

Cthulhu_Awaits likes this.
  20. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

@Alephred:
    • Maize is unchanged.
    • No idea about HD writing. @Nicholas ?
    • Gabion placement ghosts are logged as OC-3552.
    • Commemorative item drops not using airship mast logged as OC-3543.
    • Placing things on non-flat land is indeed impossible, been around for a long time. Logged as OC-3553.
    • (Obeliskians appear to be behaving as intended.)
    • Corpse burial bugs are known and not yet fixed, OC-3403.
    @Wolg et all
    • I've increased gabion search range for timber a bunch, as per your suggestion.
    • Logged ticket to make Xenophobes act like jerks around foreigners, OC-3551.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.