REVISION 39: "WE BUILT THIS COLONY WITH HUGS"

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, May 20, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Patch notes here, and oh boy there's a lot of 'em:

Patch Notes:

The Engine

• autosaves are in, set to autosave every 10 minutes.
    • autosave now alternates between two files (stability improvement)
    • fixed some capitalization issues (linux compatibility)
    • removed water vertical motion (for now, ominously)
    • FIXED: buffer overflow crash in fog of war
    • FIXED: crashes when characters are deleted with emotions
    • FIXED: the invisible shadows of stacked objects will render after saving and loading a game
    • FIXED: construction costs for buildings do not increment after saving and loading a game
    • FIXED: cannot demolish buildings after saving and loading a game
    • FIXED: items occasionally turn blue
    • FIXED: crash bug when occasionally placing a module with SHIFT-CLICK mode
    Human Characters

• added first iteration of a new hunger system aka “the cascading cannibalism decision tree”
    • added new sleep system (day 1: sleep in bed, day 2: sleep on floor, day 3: sleep on ground)
    • balance: altered calculation of colonists’ willingness to take part in cannibalism
    • added new social jobs: “inspect food, inspect body, cower inside building”
    • social jobs have been rebalanced. (Many more are planned, as there is still a relatively small number of available options to characters until buildings are constructed & economy started.)
    • rewrote all friendship and rivalry-ship code to be stored in C++; added new requirements for checking if somebody is a friend or rival before doing something to them (enables lots of new (anti)social behaviours)
    • characters now use walk animations appropriate to their mood
    • added several new social jobs that allow characters to interact with each other (slap someone else, hug, etc)
    • characters can now punch each other and cause tantrum spirals of punching (and this is almost certainly under- or over-tuned)
    • fixed typos in laudanum-themed character history string
    • if really hungry, people will attack animals for their meat
    • if really hungry and mad/has certain traits, people will attack people for their meat
    • frontier justice is now only auto-applied AFTER a murderer hits someone with a weapon, not before
    • added terrible memories for very hungry/starving people
    • eating raw_meat now requires a higher level of hunger than other raw_foods
    • some traits are now restricted to certain social classes
    • fixed some cult prefix string typos
    • fixed minor typo in a hunger memory
    • added “Suck up to superior” job
    • added “Cower inside” job
    • added “Sleep due to sadness” job
    • added “Drink due to sadness” job
    • fixed lots of memory icons
    • minor fixes to Vicar jobs
    • colonists will now drop tools/guns when profession is switched (conscription/deconscription, assignment to laboratory, etc)
    • FIXED: labourers whose models changed cannot be selected (that is to say, they can now be selected)
    • FIXED: some memories not showing up correctly on bandits who joined your colony
    • FIXED some broken cult behaviour
    • FIXED: walk_to_nearest_position throwing a script error when the item being walked to is lost or destroyed
    • FIXED: minor nerve-stapling bug
    • FIXED: an insidious drop_item scripterror
    • FIXED: Corpses still wanted to be buried even after they were chopped up & eaten
    • FIXED: hunger/tiredness values in gossip topic calculation
    Scripting System

• (determinism stuff related to multiplayer, see that section instead)
    Combat & Military

• hooked up new ‘unskilled reload’ animation
    • fishpeople weapons now properly delete themselves when dropped
    • balance: greatly reduced gabion construction time
    • FIXED: long reload anim wasn’t properly set on militia
    • FIXED: a number of military stalling issues and incorrect behaviours
    Non-Human Characters (Animals, Monsters, Vehicles)

• implemented big Fishpeople overhaul + lots of new content for Fishpeople (in-progress)
    • official policy toward fishpeople can be set in response to interaction events/crises
    • fishpeople now spawn in groups with goals/missions that they will attempt to fulfill (lots of infrastructure done for this)
    • fishpeople & colonists can interact in various peaceful ways if policy is friendly (note: this is far from feature complete)
    • colonists can attempt to non-violently intimidate fishpeople (and vice versa)
    • added fishpeople scout mission/event
    • added fishpeople beach patrol mission/event
    • added fishpeople friendly envoy mission/event
    • added fishpeople property destruction policy event
    • added fishpeople hassling crisis event
    • added fishpeople vandalism crisis event
    • added fishpeople assault crisis event
    • fishpeople combat logic improved
    • balance: replaced fishpeople in tropics w/ Deathwurms (note: deathwurm attack anim needs tweaking)
    • balance: boosted hp and aggressiveness of Deathwurms
    • changed armoured hit sound on animals (so it doesn’t sound like metal)
    Buildings & Building Creation

• Added deletion of individual models
    • Moving a module to an invalid location (say, taking a door and dragging it off into space) will now snap the module back to its original location and parent and not move it.
    • FIXED: handful of memory corruption bugs when moving modules
    • FIXED: cannot demolish the same house multiple times
    • FIXED: script error on building demolition (multiple script errors, really)
    • FIXED painting scripterror
    Economy & Logistics

• containers and stacking: stacks can now be created, and colonists will attempt to move things into stacks and then organize their stacks in stockpiles. Colonists w ll now also produce stacks of goods as the output of some workshop processes
    • stacked commodities now respect stockpile filters
    • moved a bunch of container and stack code to C++ from Lua (perfomance should be improved)
    • containers and stacks can now be merged by characters
    • balance: doubled output for cooked food based on farmed or foraged ingredients
    • balance: tripled output for cooked food based on hunted ingredients
    • balance: brick-making should actually make a bunch of bricks because wow, did we ever need a lot of them.
    • surface mining jobs are now a single job that selects the correct tool rather than two jobs, one for each tool
    • rewrote the code for handling jobs in assignments: we now actually store the jobs that are being done on an assignment on the assignment object, rather than just trying to add or subtract them. Consequently, this means that the bookkeeping of such jobs is accurate. The hope is that this fixes the bug where people will get stuck in an assignment, but we’ll see. (At the very least, it should give us more information.)
    • FIXED: “remove spoiled crops” now correctly given lower priority than “tend crops”.
    • FIXED: crash saving game after aborting a job targeting a stockpile object or container due to item being lost or misplaced
    Biomes & Terrain

• Vexing plateaus should no longer cut off player’s colonists from the rest of the world. Usually.
    Events, Metagame, and The Overworld

• FIXED: Incredibly generous bandits have been taught how to be greedy and will no longer give you their stuff every 8 seconds
    • FIXED error in “bandit wants to join colony”
    • Communists are now upset by upper class sympathy
    • New Prestige Favor: “Airship overflight”
      Fixed bug with “ominous dreams” event
      fixed typos in Bandit spawn event & tutorial
    • FIXED: memory leaks in events
    • FIXED: error in upper class sympathy event
    • FIXED: errors in ministry investigation event tree
    • accepting criminal goods may trigger an investigation
    • “Doomed” characters now much more doomed
    • added some defensive checks to avoid crashy bandit events if bandits are killed before the dialog is triggered by the player
    Multiplayer

• networking: restored engine determinism (with determinism safe script math)
    • networking: fixed cross platform world building (Mac and PC)
    • networking: fixed maximum message size problem when using Steam
    • networking: introduced command buffering to hide networking latency (and allowed clients that were behind to speed up slightly to catch up)
    Music & Sound

• day-night music transition will now start when the visual transition starts instead of when it ends
    • music now fades out Discovery/Productivity Tracks at night (Battle, Tragedy and Insanity are still things that can happen at night.)
    UI/UX

• FIXED: removal of factions from UI now works
    • UI: added highlight showing currently displayed faction to Factions Menu
    • Options menu is back, but the options which weren’t being used/tested properly have been removed. Currently only allows on/off for music and for autosaves.
    • emotes for conversations are back, but are now limited based on zoom level. (We’ll probably put in a keyboard command to disable all of these for screenshots)
    • FIXED: size of work crew portraits in work party UI now has no blank space
    • FIXED: selection of trees and other static props is now triangle-accurate
    • Clicking a module in the module placer mode now brings up a choice: move the module, or delete it. Modules that are built cannot be moved, and can only be deleted.
    • added “need_sleep” and “explosion” icons, redrew “propeller” icon.
    • selected objects in an assignment beacon now tint blue, highlight
    • mood icon now correctly displays character’s mood in character info panel
    • added “morale” and “sanity” icons to character info panel
    • (deep overhaul of fundamental UI system in-progress)

2. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

No linux version yet, so I can't play. Note on fishpeople; if they are surrogates for aborigines, then we should note that colonists did not always obey the policies of colonial administrations with regard to which aborigines are friends and foes. If there is a mismatch between official policy to which fish people factions are "friendly" and the factions with which colonists actually made friends/trade with (read: for an individual colonist, potentially none), this could potentially be exploited for Fun.

3. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Script Errors! I have no idea how I triggered them.

Attached Files:

4. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

Triggered these when I was changing the priority order of the make charcoal job.

Attached Files:

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Found the hearExclamation ones and have fixed them in our dev build. The others have been logged as OC-3328.

6. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

had the hear exclamation one, then down the line FSM_citizen_state (replay day 15)
    ***two other script errors had occurred similtaniously. Thought I had screen shot, oops.
    frozen in place/running back and forth soldiers (replay day 14)
    clay rock somehow appeared under my chapel (day 13-15)
    *rocks had been there, were cleared before building placement*
    *****edit-found the rock had been hidden under grass during flatten terrain*****
    random bit's of resources left lying about (day 8 to 15ish)
    Mine-overseer-removed "workshop assignment" 1 over,2workers during day (while working) overseer tag "working mineshaft" day 13-15ish wasn't removed, workers did move over to new overseers without issue, overseer, not exactly sure if he went to other jobs, but UI showed him still working mineshaft (fsm_state hit, entire kitchen staff froze)
    resources of mine are being placed in nearest stockpile not resource stockpile

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Some feedback re: the new stuff:

Stacking and merging stacks seems to be working pretty smoothly, with the minor quibble that stacks sometimes ignore stockpile filters.

I appreciate the more detailed hunger and tired-ness systems. Basically, anything that gives me more information about my colonists' temperaments. "Why did my NCO break a crate of coconuts by kicking it?" *check colonist info* "Oh, she's upset by all the corpses, and she's fed up with sleeping on the ground. I'd better build more beds."

The mood, morale, and sanity indicators are also great.

I'm really enjoying all the fishpeople diplomacy options, too. I particularly like that a colony may have to tolerate a degree of vandalism to establish good relations, and the mere presence of fishpersons often foments insanity amongst your citizenry.

Deathwurms:

The addition of deathwurms (and the increased food yield of meat) means that a colony in the jungle can feed itself largely by hunting - this is an interesting distinction, as fewer workers need to be tied up by farming, but the availability of meat is unreliable.

The first couple of minutes in the jungle invariably result in most of the landing party suffering lingering wounds. I've found that it's necessary to rotate soldiers and citizens in and out of military service, and the military squad Favour is increasingly attractive in the jungle. I consider this a good thing - there's an actual reason to decommission military crews.

Is it just me, or is fungus much less prevalent in the jungle than it used to be?

Turbo164 likes this.
  8. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

followup from previous post -- loaded all way back to day 7 on that game -- went through and somehow repeated the script error -- and hit the right key this time.

Attached Files:

9. Wolg

Wolg Member

This update offers further new scope for memories, I see...

Perhaps colonists should get trait- and state-of-mind-influenced memories for being engaged in conversation by fishpeople?

10. Wolg

Wolg Member

...Observed colonists wandering into the black to pick up animal kill meat, then wander what looked like the full length of the map to stack it on another animal kill's meat.

11. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

test on stacking - many things working well, some things in need of tweaking.
    Did a start without stockpiles - 99 logs in 1 stack, 45 stone in one stack 3 stones hanging out - farming half items stayed singles, other half got stacked, sorta.
    (replay console) test 2
    multiple moves of opening closing stockpiles, removing etc
    Farming items have biggest issue with resolving in regards to stacking and stockpiling -- farmers moving items generally put them anywhere and nobody else messes with them till they eat them - till removal of stockpiles
    unstacking stacked piles to restack a portion of them elsewhere in multiple singles/piles
    items disappearing/reappearing in the landscape (still in commodities)
    flax doesn't like each other very much
    when multitude of people involved with hauling, stacking jobs get confuddled. (noticed last piece of rock/clay when finish mining task is usually the piece that gets left out in the cold)
    replay day 1-5 = minus stockpiles (although tasks were not fully complete before stockpile test on round 2)
    replay day 5+ = the multiple changes made

Attached Files:

12. Sethiusdraven

Sethiusdraven Member

I will say this, one more really positive round of fixes and I will finally be able to pull off what I've been wanting to do since the game arrived... completely clear every resource on the landscape : ) I believe I could do this as the game stands now but it seems like I get % far into things and something happens. I'll just blame it on too much work not enough me time! hehe
    thus far I've only once ever completely "discovered" every part of the map, but that was well before fog of war add-on : )

Daynab likes this.
  13. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

Had a crash during saving, and some scripting errors.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

The "wrong number of parameters sent to hearExclamation" is an issue we have already fixed (I think.) I will make a ticket for the other one.

15. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

Got another one for you, a trapped in a building fishman.
    [​IMG]
    Building got completed just as fish-man was fleeing over it.. Now he is stuck on fleeing a long way while just standing there..
    *Edit, It do seem to move around a bit in the building, before beginning to run in place again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  16. dbaumgart

Oh, boy. Okay: made OC-3357 to teleport fishpeople out of a building area if a building is built on top of a fishperson.

17. Mizkoukla

Mizkoukla Member

Wow... lots more improvements. Super excited. 2015-05-28_00002.jpg 2015-05-28_00001.jpg Couple of downsides of unfortunate script errors though. :( Way more than usual. So my people stopped making food. :( Womp womp womp.

Attached Files:

18. dbaumgart

Alright! Problem in the first shot is fixed for 39A, the error in the second is something I'm still trying to track down... and because it's in the kitchen, I think I just realized what it was! Edit: And checked a bunch of stuff without finding a problem, but workshops are getting a whole mess of fixes very soon.
    Thanks for the report.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  19. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

20. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member